C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 6789101112 ... 14

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Silver Plume&High Bridge Views

Chris Walker
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Silver-Plume-Colorado-Original-Print-Photos-Mines-Buildings-Railroads/232846202486?hash=item3636b71676%3Ag%3Aaj8AAOSwkbdbR1zt&_sacat=0&_nkw=colorado+mining&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

two gems in this offering.....

pre Burleigh Tunnel Clocktower and tourist minetrain ride.

do we have another oil-burning Mogul here

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Silver Plume&High Bridge Views

Jim Courtney
Great photos, Chris.

I think you may be correct, another oil burning 2-6-0 on the high bridge.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Odd C&S 1907 (Phase 1) boxcar, 8082

Jim Courtney
Just listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-C-S-Boxcar-8082-8x10-Photo/302824044262?hash=item4681b836e6%3Ag%3ATgYAAOSwJ7RYT7dL&_sop=10&_nkw=colorado+%26+southern&_sacat=35975&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1

C&S boxcar 8082 was one of the Phase 1 boxcars built in 1907. Originally it was built with a board sheathed roof, and rode on 4 foot wheel base ASF arch bar trucks (as on the 1902 coal and flat cars).  The truss rod underframe, with 9 inch side and center sills, was modified with 3x5 inch thick spacers, 12 inches in length, to allow the use of the ASF cast bolsters designed for the 1902 coal cars with 12 inch side and center sills. The spacer is visible just above the springs of the right truck.

Number 8082 is one of those "anything goes" C&S freight cars: It has been rebuilt with a wide rib Murphy roof and separate end lateral running boards, like on the other metal roofed C&S boxcars. The original brake rigging has been replaced with an outside chain roller for the hand brake.

There is little to no paint on the metal roof (maybe they didn't paint it when rebuilt). Unlike other cars with the later 11 (wide) rib Murphy roof, the car shops seem to have used extra clamps from the 13 (narrow) rib metal roof to fasten the folded sheet metal along the top fascia board.

Truly, a one of a kind boxcar.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Chris Walker
Seems to be several new C&S images up there at the moment, a few mislabeled to location by the same seller.

This one is marked Selkirk but I'm sure that is actually at Bakers Tank.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-C-S-Engine-9-leaving-Selkirk-in-1929-8x10-Photo/302800127692?hash=item46804b46cc%3Ag%3AcCsAAOSwVtZZ%7Esug&_pgn=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=Colorado+%26+Southern+%28C%26S%29&_from=R40&rt=nc

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Silver Plume&High Bridge Views

Don Gustavson II
I don't think I have seen this before.
Is this actualy C&S ? I think so.
What is all the stuff on the right? Looks like an opening to a black hole.
The crane and flume(?) are cool.
Roscoe in Clear Creek ca 1895
COLORADO & SOUTHERN RAILWAY ENGINE 109 CLEAR CREEK CANYON COLORADO ca 1895
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLORADO-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-ENGINE-109-CLEAR-CREEK-CANYON-COLORADO-ca-1895/123312744078?hash=item1cb603268e:g:oJcAAOSwhuRbdE~M
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Silver Plume&High Bridge Views

Robert McFarland
That was taken at Roscoe I believe

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Silver Plume&High Bridge Views

Don Gustavson II
I think you are right.
I found this. (Guess I should have looked first.)
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Roscoe-Placer-Mine-then-and-now-td3369.html
Looks as if they diverted the creek. Could be a neat spot to model.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 5 at Como

Jim Courtney
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-5-VINTAGE-RAILROAD-PHOTO/113316207025?hash=item1a622c19b1:g:plsAAOSwCMlbRTff:rk:11:pf:0

A nice photo of C&S 5 at Como.

The tender tank on number 5 seems shorter than that of the other "modern" 2-6-0's. Love that large visored Pyle headlight.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 5 at Como

Chris Walker
Funny no-one mentioned the fire hydrant in the view there.... t'was the centre of a discussion awhile back....   this view unintentionally yielded this closup.

Was the "L"shaped pipe for a Drinking Water spigot?  Damned thing lines up with the Truck sideframes.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 5 at Como

ComoDepot
I assume this is part of the system that cam from the Town Spring and underground tank up on 5th St. There is a soft spot there and about 100ft to the north and I thought there may have been cisterns in those spots. Need to borrow ground penetrating radar...

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 5 at Como

Don Gustavson II
I have been wanting to model that hydrant. Nice to see another picture of it.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 5 at Como

ComoDepot
I have 2 spots where something seems to be causing subsidence, where this was is a minor one, much bigger spot say 30ft in front of the north end of the Hotel, I think there may have been an underground wooden tank that was caved in 40 years ago and has been gently rotting/settling.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

John Greenly
This post was updated on .
I was poking through ebay photo offerings while I ate lunch today and came across this nice one of engine 67.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-C-S-Engine-67-at-Como-CO-8x10-Photo/292792596612?hash=item442bcc7884:g:sL0AAOSwDNdVn3UH

I almost didn't notice the boiler tube pilot mounted on the wooden pilot beam.   I think I remember that tube pilots didn't replace wooden ones on the C&S until much later- early '20's?  But here we are with link and pin coupler, McConnell stack, original tender: early C&S days.  Is this pilot anomalous, or am I remembering the timeline wrong?  The fellow sitting on the beam seems to be thinking deeply about this.

Cheers,
John

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

ComoDepot
Seems early to me, highly polished and the clothes. Not enough of the Depot to make any sensible comment, not sure how accurate stack dating is, seem to remember a photo taken well after they were supposed to have changed.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

You missed out on Milwaukee Road 4/C&S 55.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

John Greenly
This post was updated on .
Robert,

If I understand you correctly, you might be suggesting that this is a Cooke B4B that was number 67 before 1899, and later C&S 55?   I believe this is a Baldwin B4D.  It is lettered C&S on the tender (hard to see, it's up on the flare), and its C&S number is 67.  The photo must thus be no earlier than 1899 and probably no later than 1903 (coupler), in any case much earlier than the date of late teens to early twenties that has been given for the change to boiler tube pilots. That's why I was intrigued by this very handsome engine.

Cheers,
John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

John Greenly
This post was updated on .
Ah, sure enough. I just found this same photo of No 67 (credited to the Ronfor collection) in the NG Pictorial vol. VI (p.158)- I should have looked there in the first place.  It gives the date as ca.1900 and points out that the pilot is very rare for this early date.   The photo caption describes this as a "strap metal" pilot, and looking more carefully I think I do see that the bars are flat, not round boiler tubes as I had assumed.

This loco looks otherwise so pristine that now I'm wondering- is it possible that these engines were actually originally supplied by Baldwin with these strap metal pilots that were later replaced with wood by the railroad?  A following photo in the book (p.160) shows 67 in 1923, and it had been "changed back", as the caption says, to a wood pilot.   But what if it wasn't wood in the first place?   Does this imply that the change was made later because wood pilots were preferred by the C&S, or maybe just that 67's metal one got damaged and wood was what the C&S had handy to replace it with?  The metal one is very nice looking, but it does look rather light and delicate.

John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

snapped_bolt

  Hi John,

     Those would be awfully tiny tubes for a boiler!
     More than likely this is a shop job meant to temporarily hold the job while a proper one is being prepared. In the meantime, I'll bet the cab crews traveled with their fingers crossed!

        Stan

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

John Greenly
Hi Stan,

I like your theory, very possibly true-  an experiment with a quick easy repair that probably didn't hold up well at all.  And yes, if those were tubes they would be awfully small diameter-  but I was wrong about that anyway, they were flat bar or strap stock.

Cheers,
John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

The eBay photo I am referring to is one of Bellvue &Cascade  4(ex C&S 55) loaded on a flatcar.It was DSP&P 67 prior to the 1885 UP renumbering.Number 55 and  4 photos -DSP&P Pictorial  p371.Now we see another South Park loco that at one time was numbered 4
1 ... 6789101112 ... 14