C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 7891011121314

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

Robert McFarland
You can see  DSP&P 67 on p39 of the Pictorial

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

Ken Martin
Here is a picture of Milwaukee 4 ex-C&S 55.
This was taken by my grandfather.
I do not know the date.

Ken Martin

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S number 10 (and Leadville depot privy?)

A new photo on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Photograph-Colorado-Southern-Railroad-Locomotive-10-A2529/283298316550?hash=item41f5e54106:g:bWsAAOSwmT1cDqhw:rk:2:pf:0

On back of the photo Vollrath collection is indicated, no date.

C&S 10 waits on the spot near the Leadville depot c 1930-31. Given the house in the background, I believe noumber 10 is on one of the two passenger lead tracks, just north of the depot.

Of interest, in the bottom foreground are the timbered remains of the elevated ramps to allow ore wagons to dump ore into open cars on the near house track.

And in the left background, is that the depot privy with 2 doors, for patrons of different genders?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Cooke Moguls

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Cooke Moguls

John McCutcheon
Jim

The photo of #8 is interesting as it appears the former business car later work car is in the back ground

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Locomotive Portraits

Jim Courtney
Currently listed on eBay, as individual prints, is a collection of C&S locomotive portraits. Most I have not seen before.

The add states that the photos were from the Robert Graham collection, implies he was the photographer. A couple look familiar and appear to be by Otto Perry, perhaps Gibson.

The photos are undated, but appear to be mid-1930's to 1941.

I have cleaned up the photos a bit with my software. If you want to view or buy the original print, follow the links . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-22-Photo/362520325273?hash=item5467e52c99:g:t~sAAOSwZltcJme-:rk:24:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-58-Photo/153320384017?hash=item23b29b6611:g:sy0AAOSwQqZcJmWc:rk:25:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-60-Photo/362520327167?hash=item5467e533ff:g:LS8AAOSw~VBcJmga:rk:23:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-60-Photo/153320388260?hash=item23b29b76a4:g:Ne4AAOSwzDFcJmiP:rk:22:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-65-Photo/153320391025?hash=item23b29b8171:g:k94AAOSwvpVcJmlM:rk:20:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-65-Photo/153320389774?hash=item23b29b7c8e:g:yM8AAOSwENVcJmkB:rk:21:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-68-Photo/153320392220?hash=item23b29b861c:g:-LoAAOSwPVFcJmmk:rk:19:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-68-Photo/153320392220?hash=item23b29b861c:g:-LoAAOSwPVFcJmmk:rk:19:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-69-Photo/362520334353?hash=item5467e55011:g:KJgAAOSwiwZcJmsv:rk:15:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-69-Photo/362520332306?hash=item5467e54812:g:y7gAAOSwMhVcJmpe:rk:17:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-69-Photo/153320396078?hash=item23b29b952e:g:DFkAAOSwTxJcJmqx:rk:16:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-70-Photo/153320403969?hash=item23b29bb401:g:55QAAOSw~odcJmxq:rk:11:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-70-Photo/153320398337?hash=item23b29b9e01:g:raUAAOSwKtlcJmt1:rk:14:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-70-Photo/362520336256?hash=item5467e55780:g:ACoAAOSwC45cJmwq:rk:12:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-70-Photo/153320399196?hash=item23b29ba15c:g:B1YAAOSwxHlcJmvD:rk:13:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-71-Photo/153320407750?hash=item23b29bc2c6:g:hEAAAOSwRWZcJmz4:rk:9:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-72-Photo/153320408971?hash=item23b29bc78b:g:MZ4AAOSwq2xcJm2P:sc:USPSFirstClass!98370!US!-1:rk:8:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-76-Photo/153320414870?hash=item23b29bde96:g:1HsAAOSwjQVcJm7T:sc:USPSFirstClass!98370!US!-1:rk:6:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Colorado-Southern-Railway-Railroad-Train-Engine-Locomotive-No-76-Photo/362520345894?hash=item5467e57d26:g:OEAAAOSw651cJm6M:sc:USPSFirstClass!98370!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0

The Cooke 2-6-0 photos up thread are also from the Robert Graham collection.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Locomotive Portraits

Thanks, Jim.

Looking at the photos of #70 reminded me that there is an odd thing about the flat smokebox fronts applied to certain locomotives.

Locomotives with flat smokebox fronts are:

B-3-C #9
B-4-D #70
B-4-E #71
B-4-F #74

The only other that comes to mind is #537.

Who knows why, just more useless trivia, I suppose. But there had to be some reason one of each of those classes were equipped that way. Also odd is that of the four C&S engines, three are survivors. Simply coincidental? Perhaps.....

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Locomotive Portraits

Jim Courtney
Don't forget about number 5.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S Locomotive Portraits

I did.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Colorado Central 7 and train, Georgetown

Jim Courtney
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Colorado-Central-Engine-No-7-Georgetown-Colorado-RR-Depot-Kindig-Collection/352578699146?hash=item521753ff8a:g:sqMAAOSwgotcI8JJ:rk:4:pf:0

A nice portrait of Colorado Central locomotive 7 and train at the Georgetown depot. The back of photo dates the image to August 17, 1878.

This is a copy of a print in the Kindig collection.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Colorado Central 7 and train, Georgetown

Ken Martin
This photo is in Mineral Belt III p 268 and Poor Memorial p 14.
Baggage is CC 1 and the coach is the only shot I know of CC 7.

Ken Martin

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Colorado Central 7 and train, Georgetown

Dave Eggleston
There are at least two other photos captioned as being of CC #7: In McCoy & Abbott's Colorado Central book, pages 122 and 236-237.

Last year, when I was combing the books (Poor, Hauck, McCoy) for pictures of each of the CC engines of 1871-77, I found a lot of pictures of engines that have not been identified by authors--and I hadn't developed a clean identifier's guide to help really sort the engines out, if it's even truly possible without seeing a number. Could be another of #7 is lurking in these 25 or so pictures of unidentified engines? I don't know...
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Colorado Central 7 and train, Georgetown

Robert McFarland
Ken is referring to coach #7 not engine #7.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Colorado Central 7 and train, Georgetown

Dave Eggleston
Oops, I misread his sentence.
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 76, Switching Leadville

A neat photo for Keith:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-Steam-76-Railroad-Locomotive-Photo/312570762267?hash=item48c6ab541b:g:LBQAAOSw~Lpcsftw

Big C&S number 76 switching out caboose 1009 in Leadville, sometime in the late 1930's or early 1940's.

Can anyone identify the lading in the coal car by the C&S freight house to the right?? Whatever it is is likely going up to the mill at Climax.

I still think Keith needs some 3 rail track in his Leadville . . .

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: 1933

Jim Courtney
I'm bidding on three C&S locomotive photos just listed on eBay, all from 1933:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0A038-RPPC-1933-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-RAILROAD-NARROW-GAUGE-2-8-0-LOCO-65-DENVER/402039685380?hash=item5d9b6ec104:g:OGMAAOSwZK5eIRXU&autorefresh=true

C&S 65 with pilot plow and arc headlight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0A040-RPPC-1933-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-RAILROAD-NARROW-GAUGE-2-8-0-LOCO-68-DENVER/402039685467?hash=item5d9b6ec15b:g:-7YAAOSwhQpeIRXl

C&S 68 with pilot plow and long tender.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0A042-RPPC-1933-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-RAILROAD-NARROW-GAUGE-2-8-0-LOCO-70-DENVER/352936588542?hash=item522ca8f4fe:g:2qIAAOSw7bZeIRX5

C&S 70 with sheet metal pilot, arc headlight and new oil tender.

The same seller has other C&S locomotive photos listed, but these three caught my eye.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: 1933

Jim Courtney
A nice Kindig photo of the last Leadville passenger train in Platte Canon, near Waterton:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-C-S-PHOTO-WATERTON-COLORADO/133413438811?hash=item1f100f855b:g:x54AAOSwAb1ewdBd

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: surprising pilot?

D. W. Bassett
 In response to the post of the C&S/Milwaukee shot above, she has the 3rd driver connected (second earlier) and the "modern" Milwaukee "&Pacific Herald in bright red with silver lettering.  Photo taken at a track near the 2 stall roundhouse AND one stall engine house in Belleview.  My best guess with all these items is late 20's early 30s.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 76, Switching Leadville

Can anyone identify the lading in the coal car by the C&S freight house to the right?? Whatever it is is likely going up to the mill at Climax.

Jim,
Although the image is none too clear, I would say fairly certainly that those are the end castings(opposite Feeder end) of Marcy Rod Mills, of which Climax had rows of.  I have a catalog around somewhere that may yield an illustration.
Allis-Chalmers also built rodmills of similar design but I haven't seen that name mentioned in the Climax Metals lit.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: C&S 76, Switching Leadville

Jim Courtney
Good to hear from you, Chris!

You didn't do the "Covid-19 check in", and I was getting worried about you, your family and the goats!
1 ... 7891011121314