C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 91011121314

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

SteveG
Interesting that despite the major damage, coach 160 went on to an extended life as the renumbered 56.
C&S repair crews apparently liked challenges.

(from DPL Z-6029)

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Jim Courtney
There are some pricy but interesting photos listed on eBay by "Colorado Artifactual"

This is the most interesting, one I've never seen, of C&S 7 awaiting departure at Silver Plume:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174773386384?hash=item28b14e3c90:g:MgQAAOSwbvNgpA9Z

Others include C&S 71's crew at Pitkin:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174773470307?hash=item28b14f8463:g:AKYAAOSwbFhgpCeF

The ice plant at Pine, Colorado, c1895:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174771142055?hash=item28b12bfda7:g:6D0AAOSwYKxgoWBC

The Democrat Mountain Mill in Georgetown:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174773371775?hash=item28b14e037f:g:DIoAAOSwOTdgpAt4

A photo labeled Colorado Central in Clear Creek Canon, looks more like the D&RG in the Black Canon to me:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174769048191?hash=item28b10c0a7f:g:RcwAAOSwTEtgntY8

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Doug Heitkamp
Great pictures. Thanks for pointing them out. It's amazing that so many "new" pictures continue to surface.

Don't forget the Burro's!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174772367603?hash=item28b13eb0f3:g:0T8AAOSwJvZgosSE
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Todd Hackett
Doug Heitkamp wrote
...Don't forget the Burro's!...
That looks like the same buggy shown here at the east side of Alpine Tunnel:

And here at the west side:

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Jim Courtney
This is a great week for C&S photos on eBay!!!

Consider this Dr. C.H. Scott portrait (cabinet card) of the DL&G / C&S rotary at Como, c.1900:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324632579274?hash=item4b959c0cca:g:uswAAOSwliJgpPbT

Note the end of the boxcar with white end fascia at the left frame, possibly a Litchfield 26 footer . . .

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Todd Hackett
Jim Courtney wrote
..Note the end of the boxcar with white end fascia at the left frame, possibly a Litchfield 26 footer . . .
Here's a close-up of that (I have the original glass plate negative):

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Jim Courtney
Fantastic, Todd.

Given the UP reporting marks, photo is probably a bit earlier, say 1895-1898.

I'm curious, how large is the glass plate negative?? Was the cabinet card a contact print, you think?

Jim

The Scott negatives are 5x7. The cabinet cards of his are the same size, so I assume they are contact prints.

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

tonyk375
The rotary picture sure went for a great price.Almost $300.  An image that is somewhat common, but someone was willing to pay for the original card.  Great photo!

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Robert McFarland
Isn't one of the photos  a picture of Alicante?

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Just listed is this photo of C&S 68 in Denver in 1938:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265203692412?hash=item3dbf5f337c:g:QHMAAOSwbqFg0O36

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Jim Courtney
Another portrait of C&S number 68, in Denver, dated January 5th, 1939:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234086706231?hash=item3680a7ac37:g:1WAAAOSwxQhg7Hay

Photographer is Joseph Schick, a name I've never come across before.

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Ken Martin
Joseph Schick was a farmer in Keenesburg, CO who started taking photos in the thirties. DPL has bunch of his photos.

KenMartin

https://archives.denverlibrary.org/repositories/3/resources/1605

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Interesting portrait of C&S 70, after conversion to oil, but still carrying the old Handlan-Buck headlight:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265260659634?hash=item3dc2c473b2:g:5GEAAOSw9oRhEV80

The photo is dated on the back as 6-11-34; photographer is again Joseph Schick.

Can anyone identify the location? Those two huge silo type structures in the background must be a clue . . .

Re: Platte Canyon wreck on ebay

Jim Courtney
Speaking of C&S 70, here is a Gibson photograph from September of 1937, with C&S 70 loading sheep at the Georgetown stock pens, by the lake just east of town:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265267067468?hash=item3dc3263a4c:g:mOQAAOSwpnZhFvri

Re: Dickey Depot and Engine House on eBay:

Jim Courtney
Should anyone wish to have a contact print of the photo that Darel used as the header on the C&Sn3 blog site, it is available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174967182839?hash=item28bcdb55f7:g:3F0AAOSwpOthXdQl

It is a bit pricey at $265.00.  If anyone here just has to add it to their collection, I would be happy to pay for a high-res scan, to help defray the cost.

BTW, two of the people are identified as "Charles V. Jackson, telegrapher" (to left of C&S 43), and his wife, "Mrs. Esther Jackson", standing in front of the engine house doorway, with the tall white hat. Presumably the couple lived in the Dickey depot. The fireman or hostler, sitting on 43's pilot, is unidentified.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jim Courtney
A vintage c.1884 view of Colorado Central number 10, while on service out of Boulder, location noted as Sunset:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185528671314?hash=item2b325edc52:g:QN4AAOSwEH5i7trg

Isn't that Sam Speas in the tender gangway, early in his career, as fireman?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Dave Eggleston
Yes, it is Sam in the gangway. It is most likely Sunset, based on the background.
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA
1 ... 91011121314