C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 1011121314

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Robert McFarland
Wasn't there a guy named Squire Thorne on the crew?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Dave Eggleston
Squire was the GSL&P engineer from at least ca 1885 to the end of the line in 1894. He transferred to the Clear Creek lines in 1894 and last I've read in the papers he was running one of the Silver Plume passenger trains around 1900.

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

There is a collection of Gilpin photos for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334724645452?hash=item4def24c24c:g:ItkAAOSwNuxj2Bk6&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkPaj7RkydyIzC1UkIFh1%2FP25UtNMTZ87Uid%2Fh58ShdwWDN5vwN%2BoEJAo%2F8nknDeHpnfFdOqFEuT%2BsJqNa5%2BLGWiQvXjdoVOdI2V9B8oxcuvcsCHBcQT9ekbmighguAidxRS0arhRsU9UD%2BIOANqqNHGn3LuO5UVMM3RZkCUT2sf4HvhU8gwvkE1pOiRTO%2F%2Bj2Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-K984vBYQ

Five photos are of the shays in the snow, such as this one:

The sixth photo is of a Gilpin "train", including a caboose:

Anyone know the location of this latter photo?? What are the two steel towers and their function?? I doubt that they are radio antennae for local Blackhawk FM 106.5, during the Gilpin Tram era. Zeppelin anchor pylons, maybe, for airship service from Denver?

Jim

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Doug Heitkamp
Jim,

The location is in Central City on what is now Barrett Road. The Gilpin water tank (Red Circle) would be just behind the train but out of frame in the picture. The train in the picture would be on the yellow highlighted portion of the satellite image. The town reservoir is marked with the Blue "R". The light blue line shows where the tracks were and the bridge crossing the creek is still there, buried in the trees.

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jim Courtney
Thanks Doug!

Looks like you nailed the location. Do you think that the two towers are for an electrical power transmission line to the mines above town??

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Doug Heitkamp
Jim,

I have no idea about the towers. I'll ask the resident expert Keith Pashina.

As a FYI, you can still access this part of the Gilpin grade. My wife, Darel, and I rode this on our mountain bikes a couple of years ago. You can go quite a distance, almost to the location of the original engine house on the other side of the mountain. It's a workout!
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Todd Hackett
Doug Heitkamp wrote
...My wife, Darel, and I...
I didn't realize that Darel was your wife, I thought you were just friends.

This photo was on eBay recently. It says Nevadaville, and it looks like it could be, but I thought the GT tracks in that area were on the other side of the ridge on the right. Is this Nevadaville, and if so, were there GT tracks here?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Dave Eggleston
Todd Hackett wrote
It says Nevadaville, and it looks like it could be, but I thought the GT tracks in that area were on the other side of the ridge on the right. Is this Nevadaville, and if so, were there GT tracks here?
Here's the 1905 map. Looking at it, it seems possible--or Eureka Gulch?

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Chris Walker
It's Eureka Gulch.....

HH Lake similar view  DPL L-51

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jim Courtney
A couple of photos from someone's vacation photo album, taken at Grant, c.1900:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295677899910

The family waiting at the little Grant Depot, to take the train home.

And gathered on the rear of one of the tourist coaches, perhaps on one of the "Fish Trains" awaiting departure for Denver.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

David Fromm
Notice the Fisher Rail Joint at the bottom of the Grant Depot photo.  Is it odd to find one here???

Dave Fromm

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jim Courtney
Currently listed on eBay are 5 photos from a family vacation to Buffalo and Pine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256142929209?hash=item3ba34eed39:g:RiYAAOSwl-xkszBQ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EE7EnsLVP9m2%2F8ZC%2FVquqYVljkQXpqBgrmvy2GTIooB0%2BpCmr%2BPHKX3byb0dwO3jqAeYq37XeXwt1yXvSX31v0ohX887veI6AeijY1V4dw7D4tKDibjzid%2BfdVbrn9oLlXpThX%2BxnNPuz5NMNsNPiUGNwjnFr4jAlkhP7pUaa7NHJyKPiUThGyBZcPjva%2Fz3XoYh%2FEWLYCcbuEW5mgDhiJPC0OcvK%2FE4Beu7r4KYoIvukuiZhz6lTQZ1QvfxuiUw5XT%2Fo75%2BuxnnhSiBFPCY%2BDGvMNckpJ55U55%2BiU9V5If%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR471mPirYg

Pine:

Buffalo:

A view from the nearby mountain shows a west bound passrnger train making a station stop at the Buffalo depot. I count five cars in the consist, suggesting summer patronage was brisk.

Judging from all the jodhpurs and the freshly painted boxcars in the "button" scheme, I'm guessing that the photos are from the late 1920s. The express sign on the Pine depot reads "American Railway Express".

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Todd Hackett
That's my listing. I bought a bunch of photos - mostly from Platte Canyon - last year, and they included a lot of stuff that didn't interest me, and duplicate and triplicate prints of many. The seller didn't bother to sort them, so there were often two or three prints of the same photo in the same lot. Most of the good shots had only one or two prints. I also picked up original negatives for a few of the nice ones. The seller listed many lots, attributing all to Buffalo Creek even though many of them didn't have any photos that were anywhere near it. Names on the envelopes with the photos include Dan C. Davis, Dan C. Davis Jr., Mrs. Dan C. Davis, and Catherine Davis. I posted quite a few of the photos from this collection here last year - mostly in the Buffalo Revisited thread or asking for help with locations.

This listing is all duplicates of ones that I liked (and of which I'm keeping one print each). I listed a few other lots of mostly people, cars, scenery, and structures (many of which probably aren't Platte Canyon area) most of which I'm not keeping a copy, but also one lot of photos at Singleton, a few of which show C&S track and the station sign. Each lot I bought had at least one good RR photo to justify my bids.

I'm pretty sure that these are from people who lived in or near Buffalo, rather than tourists visiting. Two of the photos are dated: One portrait of a person is dated 1930 and one structure photo has 1932 on the back. The vehicles all seem to be from the 1920s.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Todd Hackett
This album of photos at Climax has a few good C&S photos. The starting bid is a bit high for just the railroad photos, but not too bad if you also like the other mine photos.

C&S Photos on eBay.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Todd Hackett
Chris Walker wrote
Is anyone bidding on this?
There's no bidding, it's a Buy-it-Now with two available (and I'm sure the seller will print more if asked). He's selling digital prints, not originals or even photographic copy prints, so the detail level any dynamic range aren't likely to be much if any more than what you see on the screen.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Chris Walker
Thanks Todd,

I was hoping for more detail out of the rear, this is an unpublished view that was part of a Railfan outing at Idaho.  Just got excited about another piece of the jigsaw.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Todd Hackett
That's one thing I don't like about digital prints - too many saturated areas with no way to pull out detail. An original scan, even with only 8 bit gray scale, can usually let you bring out some details, but this seller is selling prints from the scans which are really just good for display. I don't know if this seller uses original from their own collection, but some of these ebay sellers just download images from libraries and institutions and sell prints of them. A Google image search of this one doesn't bring anything up, so it may well be from their own collection. The scan on the listing probably has as much information as the print they sell. This is as much as I can draw out of the shadows:

Re: C&S Photos on eBay.

Jim Courtney
Currently there is a good right angle, right-side view of Denver & Intermountain combine/caboose # 903 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276358794617?itmmeta=01HQVT23ZT56A5F9TFFAECK5MV&hash=item4058448d79:g:TLMAAOSwGvtlkEfJ&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4EFY4HpwrsqJC5V6hoYHmPh1HRMnncTNNrwK7IqIJmM5T4e7rC01mWWiOFiFDekcbD%2BNS1HXbB6NC3sie31DfNLwGle68d4jPNybvxJcPgaGM4EZmDbrWcx8BCSLhhsKI9mKs6g6scY0x7sLdwoP8L42%2FYVE%2FjL2kAsuMJR4LDJc%2FUR24%2Bo0unsBKzseVu7lGKoP26E3BDV0eg6XqzcwSLa7m2hbUDuR8UpFM1%2BYm7%2BLzSb59kXfIW4sztTnFKRa5F50FhuxhyIZANwO%2FRfLYNqjQOzv0w%2F0DpHjBhnLBZhY%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jAiPq-Yw

Why is this relevant?

Prior to its sale in August of 1930, the little car was C&S combine #21,  It spent its last years on the South Park division as the combine used on the Alma mixed train:

Photo circa 1927.
1 ... 1011121314