C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 45678910 ... 14

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Chris Walker
Don't think I seen this one before:

Jim,

Isn't that the definitive DL&G 1890 High Bridge shot, one published in all the books: one would certainly think so but not the case.  Being a W.H.Jackson photo I suspect this image is in the Jackson Rocky Mountain Views Album, a very pricey limited edition of a couple of decades ago that was too much for my pocket.  I have only briefly perused an even pricier version for sale in a US bookshop.

I could be wrong though....does any CRRM frequenter remember seeing this image framed and on display beyond the bookshop/telegrapher's area?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Yep, Chris, I remember that book. I remember carefully browsing through it at Wayne Weiss's hobby shop in Houston, TX. I was either just finishing my residency or just beginning my post-doc fellowship, so 1979 or 1980 -- young doctors in training (with a new baby girl) didn't have that kind of disposable income!

This isn't one of the images that Jackson took in 1884, that have been reproduced in several books, and online at DPL. And it isn't during the DL&G period: The Congdon stack on the locomotive and the shiny new UP numbers on the tender suggest a date of 1885-1886 to me. And the coach is still lettered Colorado Central. I think you are remembering the Buckwalter photo of DL&G 162 on the high bridge in the 1890s, published in the CRA-10.

The image that I posted is distorted, a photo of a photo, taken at about 45 degrees, not straight on. Anyway, I decided to "take one for the team" and just purchased the image on eBay. When it arrives, I'll make the best resolution scan that I can manage, clean it up and repost it. Perhaps in a new thread "William H Jackson and the Loop".

Meanwhile, what do you make of this keystone stereo image on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-GEORGETOWN-High-Bridge-Loop-Railroad-Train-Stereoview-2367-T365-19863fx/372276817763?hash=item56ad6d6f63:g:~lkAAOSwWbRaqDJ8

A companion view without the train is dated to 1906 in another add. Has anyone seen this one published before, or on DPL?

And for a mere $225.00 you can have this Jackson  portrait of a Colorado Central train on the high bridge; I didn't think I've seen this one either:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Train-on-Highbridge-Georgetown-Loop-by-W-H-Jackson-of-Denver-Colorado-1880s/202310163774?hash=item2f1aa01d3e:g:HgQAAOSwhZ9a9NUI

But wait--the image is available on DPL: http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/13821/rec/58

DPL doesn't cite a photographer! So is this a Jackson or not?

Meanwhile, Alex Martin views only bring in $185.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALEX-MARTIN-GEORGETOWN-CO-LOOP-MOUNTAIN-VIEWS-RAILROAD-CABINET-PHOTO-CARD/273188567948?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Dad7e8c640aa342648ae7a888bdb7b777%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D202310163774%26itm%3D273188567948&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&autorefresh=true

A similar Martin image, taken the same day, within the same hour, was published in CRA 10, page 84. In the view above, the photographer had the helper locomotive move on up the line, so that he could better frame the passenger train on the high bridge.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Chris Walker
The one I had in my mind was the #108 used in this montage... http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3376/rv/singleitem/rec/110

I believe they are WHJ if there is the very neatly written caption at the bottom, I could be wrong though.

The ballasting sure is neat in your stereo view, but the flat topped tank suggests maybe another Oilburner?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

The Alex Martin photo looks like the engine is a Brooks Mogul with an extended stack.Note the RPO car or one of its two sisters show up in almost all of the Loop photos shown.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Ken Martin
Jim,

The Keystone card is fairly common I have a copy and have seen it a number of times.

I have a cabinet card copy of the photo with the boxcar in the train and the back is stamped "Barkalow Bros. Denver Colo."

I do have a Jackson Cabinet card of a double header on the loop bridge which is below.

Ken Martin

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Todd Hackett
I have an original cabinet card of that image. The logo on the back is for Mellens' Views in Colorado Springs. These are straight on from a scanner instead of 45 degrees from a camera:

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Jim Courtney
Wow, what a beautiful scan of a beautiful image, Todd!

I kinda wish that I hadn't impulsively purchased the print on eBay now.

As I understand it, this is likely a WH Jackson photograph. Mellen was merely the publisher of the cabinet cards, for sale to the Denver tourist trade, right? I wonder if Jackson received a royalty for each print sold.
_______________

As an aside, the current conventional wisdom has it that the standard post-1885 UP reporting marks and numerals for locomotives were painted in "deluxe gold", a dark yellow.  The numerals on CC 108 appear bright white to me. The gold leaf lettering of the passenger cars look significantly darker.

Although CC and DSP&P re-lettering of freight cars to the 1885 convention, with new numbers, took several years, it is likely that once the new numbering system was adopted, locomotive re-numbering was of the most urgency (for dispatching purposes).

Is it possible that the Denver based narrow gauges used the paint on hand (white) in 1885, with repainting to the UP standard colors a few years later?  Did the re-numbering precede the adoption of "deluxe gold" as the standard for locomotives? Anyone know for sure?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

ComoDepot
Paint was quite a science so impossible no, unlikely yes.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Jim,

I wasn't expecting to be taken literally when I said "Isn't that the definitive DL&G 1890 High Bridge shot, one published in all the books: one would certainly think so but not the case."

I was meaning that there seems to be a shot like that in every book that features the Loop and High Bridge, which lends one to think that is the picture they've seen before....but not that one, just 20 others.  Joys of a popular place I suppose.

And my thanks to Todd as well for the flat version.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Todd Hackett
Chris Walker wrote
...I was meaning that there seems to be a shot like that in every book that features the Loop and High Bridge, which lends one to think that is the picture they've seen before....but not that one, just 20 others...
To underscore Chris's observation about how common this view is, I put together all of the unique scanned photos in my collection that show the bridge with a train taken from approximately the level of the track below the bridge. This does not include any of the photos without a train, nor those taken from the upper track or higher, nor at least one stereo view in my pile of photos waiting to be scanned.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Keith Hayes
Well, this is a fine way to identify all the passenger cars used in the era.

What is the white/ light car in the upper right image?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

If your talking about the coach in the upper left photo, I think that's the sun reflecting off the sheen of the varnish.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Chris Walker
Wow Todd,

that sure nails down what I wanted to say, and yet even that vast head-spinning array of High Bridge pictures still didn't include the Buckwalter image of #108 I had in my head to begin with.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3376/rv/singleitem/rec/110

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

South Park
  Who does the telegraph line belong to running under the north
side of the bridge in that Buckwalter photo ?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

I understand you now, Chris.

I think my sarcasm detector may be malfunctioning.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Well maybe it's time to get all this Loop / High Bridge stuff out of our system . . .

Another Alex Martin photo, c1885 (in Kindig, et al, The Pictorial Supplement . . .)

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/21230/rv/singleitem/rec/12

Horace S Poley photograph, 1895

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/29021/rv/singleitem/rec/61

Boyd & Todd photograph, c1900

Buckwalter photo, c1898 (in CRA 10)

Anymore?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Ken Martin
Well I have this one that was in the January 2016 B&L. Photographer is King in Denver.
Engine was 108.

Coach 58 (ex 10) with baker heater showing.

and a rare view of Business car 050 as UP06

I have the same train on the big fill. The picture was in the July 2015 B&L.

Ken Martin

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Jim Courtney
Great photo, Ken!

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Jeff Ramsey
Great images guys! Is is just my me or has ony one else notice that the finish on the letter boards seems to be a darker shade that the rest of the side of the car body on some CC and UPD&G passenger cars? I think I see this on 186 in Todd's image and on 050 in Ken's image. There is also some UPD&G passenger equipment with this in Dan Abbott's Clear Creek book namely the Buckwalter image of a consist on the bridge at the wye at Silver Plume and also in a image at the depot at Empire.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

Paul R.
All,
Teriffic images of the early years. Just asking, is there any of the C&S era, even though I partly prefer the early period. Paul R.
1 ... 45678910 ... 14