C&S Photos on eBay.

1 ... 3456789 ... 14

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Central Depot and Above Breckenridge

Ken Martin
The C&S had three cars with the “observation windows” 59, 78, and 79, the South Park originally had a fourth car but it was dropped around 1890. All three had all 15 windows on one side and a toilet vent on each end. I have looked at the photo and it is blurry enough that I can’t see the toilet vents however I think I see a smokestack on the other side at the far end. As 59 was the only one to have two stoves I am going to reverse my previous opinion and say I believe it is most probably 59.

Ken Martin

C&S 79 on the high bridge

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Central Depot and Above Breckenridge

Wrong time of day and I did not have the photo with me but sort of the angle.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Central Depot and Above Breckenridge

ComoDepot

Looking towards where the train from Boreas was stuck, it would have been located around the trees.

I have a photo showing the grade to the bridge on the Denver main, down to the right of this photo, being a straight drop but later photos and the current grade show 2 curves. So a distortion in the earlier photo or was it changed.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Fall River

This one is for Chris . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Southern-Railway-Fall-River-Station-Photograph-Stanley-Mines-Mining/232752966274?hash=item3631286a82:g:bnAAAOSwVL5a6HcE

The photo is dated May 26, 1900, engraved on the negative, at bottom right.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Big Five Tunnel, Idaho Springs

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Denver Smelting, Idaho Springs

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Miami Tunnel, Idaho Springs

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Jim Courtney
And for the finale, double headed Argentine Central shays delivering a cut of C&S coal cars to the Vidler mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Argentine-Central-Railway-Engine-No-5-6-Vidler-Siding-Colorado-Coal-Cars/352346341452?hash=item52097a804c:g:daMAAOSwgFJa7G4F

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Chris Walker
Thanks Jim,  I had been and saved those mining ones as well.  The Denver is the Dewey Bros/Kilton and so far is the only visual I've seen other than a Sanborn notation of that iteration.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Jeff Young
Yes, indeed.  Some great stuff Jim!

(I particularly like the detailing on the two Denver Smelting and Mining buildings.  Begging to be modelled, those two are.)

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Jim Courtney
Yep, Jeff,

I particularly like the long row of square openings to the ore bins, so ore wagons could pull up the alley way and unload ore into specific bins.

Do you think the flat topped building in the left foreground is a scale house?

And all the little details that beg to be modeled. The screen door on the foreground building, the solitary "hitching post", the decorative picket fence in front of the dwelling at right frame with its scalloped upper story shingles, even the little conifer planted in the front yard of the house.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Jeff Young
Jim Courtney wrote
Do you think the flat topped building in the left foreground is a scale house?
Good question, but I haven't studied processing facilities enough yet to have any idea.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Chris Walker
Jeff and Jim,
the Flat-topped building is the Office and Assay room, scales were located opposite the Office in the lane/alley visible by the picket fence.

Dewey Bros became Denver S&M after 1895 then Kilton Reduction works.  I had intended to put insert this in the existing thread for discussion, not thinking Jim would even notice the relevance.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Argentine Central

Jim Courtney
I thought the shape of the main building looked familiar . . .

A view of the rear (trackside) portion of the building is in the photo with the 1902 coal car and the long johns hanging on the clothes line:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/67650

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Oil Burning Mogul

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zEAAAOSw2LlaqGz3/s-l1600.jpg

Oil burning Mogul on Clear Creek, it was just a matter of time before this stuff comes to light other than in books.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Flipped Image Of Argo Chutes

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: High Bridge Passenger Photo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorado-Central-Railroad-Georgetown-Loop-Bridge-Photograph-J-Maxwell-Photo/352346332099?hash=item52097a5bc3:g:Y2IAAOSwns1a7GuT

Listed as "J. Maxwell photo"    Which in reality is a L.C. McClure photo  DPL MCC-3254

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Flipped Image Of Argo Chutes

Re: C&S Photos on eBay: Flipped Image Of Argo Chutes

Chris Walker
Thanks for the flip, Jim.  Nice capture of the minecars used on that incline to the left, another tie-in with Derrell's caboose picture.