C&S Photos on eBay.

123456 ... 14

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jeff Ramsey
Never seen this one before.IMG_20171130_084526.jpg

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Paul R.
What time of day would this shot be, looks like a long shadow on the right. Paul R.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

ComoDepot
Jeff I have the photo.

Time, well looks like the shadow is from the Gibbony house would say late morning sometime near the winter solstice.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Robert McFarland
Check out the new photo on DSP&P eBay of a diamond stacked short smokeboxed double header  in snow led by C&S #73

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

ComoDepot
Link?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jim Courtney
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Photo-Denver-South-Park-Pacific-DSP-P-2-6-0-73-Colorado-Narrow-Gauge/272976395336?hash=item3f8ea93c48:g:HvQAAOSwPAxaLJTe

I believe these two locomotives , circa 1900-1901, are plowing out the Silver Plume wye.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Chris Walker
The seller has it mislabeled since #73 'twas a 2-8-0, second loco behind is the #13, Jim is right on with the location being the Silver Plume Wye, the date be that of the big snow of 1899.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

ComoDepot
What are the clues it is Silver Plume?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Jim Courtney
The photo (from the K. Gus Smarey Collection) was published in the Colorado Rail Annual No. 10, the issue devoted to the Clear Creek Line, on pages 138-139. No clues to the location, the captions label it as such.

A total of four photos were printed from the big snow of the winter of 1899.  They show C&S mogul number 13 on the daily passenger train: Two photos of the engine and train at Georgetown, and a photo of the train backed onto the Silver Plume wye. The fourth photo shows C&S number 73 plowing out the west leg of the wye -- this is is the same photo as the eBay offering. The second McConnell stack in the background belongs to C&S 13. The big fir trees in the foreground were the ones at the picnic grounds of the Pavilion, out of frame to the left.

The three big Baldwins (C&S 71, 72, and 73) were originally purchased for the UPD&G for use on the Clear Creek lines.  They seem to have stayed (perhaps out of habit) on Clear Creek for the first couple of years after the C&S was formed.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Jim Courtney
Here is a view of  C&S 13 and train on the Silver Plume wye, same day, same hour, same folks:

The eBay offering seems to be a good quality print.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Any clues as to where the photo of Mason #55 was taken?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Jim Courtney
What??

If you're talking about this eBay photo . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denver-South-Park-Pacific-DSP-P-Engine-55-with-Crew-8x10-Photo/302555500566?hash=item4671b69016:g:eR0AAOSwZqZaEd8m

. . . I think I read somewhere that the photo was taken in Montana, after the UP transferred DSP&P 55 to the Utah and Northern, circa 1886.  Anyone know for sure??

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Silver Plume in the Snow.

Chris Walker
The normal view associated with the DSP&P#55 at Garrison is on a passenger train,
#55 at Garrrison

I am not certain and will need to look into it further but the house in the right rear to me(at this time) is reminiscent of Como.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

SteveG
I ordered that one, and barring unforeseen restrictions in the terms of sale not evident in the eBay listing, would be happy to share a higher-res digitized image.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

Jeff Ramsey
That would be most excellent Steve.

Re: C&S Photos on eBay

SteveG
Been trying to enhance this, as it's grainier than I had hoped, but here's what I've got so far, as a jpeg:

and slightly better to my eye, as a png:
:
If anyone wants to try enhancing the large (~20 MB) 1200 dpi scanned image file, let me know and I'll email it to you for further processing.

Belated Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year,
Steve

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Mis-located.

Jim Courtney
Here is an interesting stereo view of the High Bridge above Georgetown:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Georgetown-Colorado-Loop-Railroad-Stereoview-Woman-Child-View-C-S-Railroad/352238674579?hash=item52030fa293:g:OeQAAOSwyP5aPSnH

Perhaps the mother and her two young children got off for the mine tour, then missed the train?

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Mis-located. And Mis-Dated

Scrap Train, 1938

Re: C&S Photos on eBay:Mis-located.

Jeff Ramsey
I don't know Chris, I think this image's location is near Bacon, east of Breckenridge. Notice the heavy rail(90 lb.?) and a rare usage by the C & S of tie plates on the narrow gauge. This image I think has been published in a few books.
123456 ... 14