C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

1 ... 910111213

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

See my comment to your listing regarding smokebox fronts for #72 and #73. I didn't know you had a #72.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Doug Heitkamp
Mike,

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I believe you had talked about this before. Sadly, I do not have a number 73. Otherwise I would make the switch. I’m not giving up on C&S modeling. Just going back to Sn3 because my layout room has shrunk in half.

Thanks!
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

pizlinard72
Good Morning

I hope you had a great Memorial Day week-end. There is currently a number of brass engines in On3 available. Brass Trains currently lists:
OMI 5, 6, 8, 21, 71
PSC 60

On eBay there are two PSC 60

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285301539885

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266272088458

And a Sunset 74 basket case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266272096691

Have a good week everyone

Christian

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Doug Heitkamp
eBay result -

$560 for this On3 Precision Scale C&S No. 60 What?!?!?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285301539885

Probably the lowest price I've ever seen for a piece of good On3 brass! There weren't even any last minute bids. Amazing!
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Todd A Ferguson
Wow, less than half what I paid for my 60 about 5 years ago.  There seems to be a lot of 60s made compared to other 2-8-0s.  But I’ve  never looked up the actual numbers produced.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

pizlinard72
I was also surprised about the price. It looked like a nicely done model. Does anyone know how many PSC models were produced? The numbers for the OMI were provided by Mike. Best, Christian

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

pizlinard72

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

pizlinard72
Good Morning

I hope everyone is doing well. Looking for something else I found these on the net:
PBL 76 in Sn3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204395928789

Brass Trains has several Sn3 and On3 models available:
Sn3
OMI Baggage 13
OMI Coach 74
OMI 2-8-0 74

On3
OMI 9 and 71

I wish you all a great day!

Christian

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
Currently listed on eBay is an Overland On3 C&S number 9:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276367237978

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

That's a great price at $950. I hope someone here can pick it up. That's much less than I paid in 2018 for mine.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Todd A Ferguson
I think I paid $1,200 for my number 5 about six years ago…
If I recall when they were imported the suggested retail was $995.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Mike and Todd,

Just out of curiosity, how well do the Overland On3 C&S locomotives run?

In my collection, I have about a dozen OMI Sn3 C&S locomotives, that I have slowly been re-detailing/modifying/backdating. A few run extremely well out of the box.

About half have had mechanical issues to be dealt with:

Bad solder joints on the front frame spacer that had to be re-soldered so the cylinder block was stable. Burrs on the side rod holes to file/polished. One driver out-of-quarter.

One beautifully "factory" painted number 6 had the left (fireman's) cylinder soldered onto the chest too close to the frame--the lateral play in the insulated front driver caused an intermittent, then permanent short as the paint wore away. I ended up having to strip the entire frame and re-solder the cylinder and remount the cylinder chest. Lately, I've been re-motoring some of the locomotives with Faulhaber motors and re-gearing some with Boo-Rim gearboxes.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not contemplating changing scales and am determined to get my locomotive fleet running and painted some day. Just curious if the On3 OMI locomotives have similar issues??

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Hi Jim. I haven't had any of those issues with any of my On3 OMI engines, and I hadn't had any real issues during the time I actually worked with Tom in Muncie. There were repair problems with some detail soldering. I do recall a few tweaks that had to be done on the Sn3 74's, which were produced before I was directly involved.

I had taken a position in the DC area in March or April of '88, about the time when the C-18's were coming in and spent a career oddessey for the next several years.

The On3 OMI B-4-F's and B-3-C's and the C-18's and K-36's were built by MS Models in Korea. Mr. Park had worked with Samhongsa previously, and tried very hard to please Tom Marsh. The Passenger Cars were built by M.S. Models and the Cabooses by Ajin Precision.

I think M.S. Models also built the Sn3 locomotives but those all came in after I had left, and I never reviewed any of the pilot models for those projects as I had on the On3 locomotives. Sounds like there were some quality control issues after M.S. had worked so hard to push for more projects. Sorry you've had to fix things on them.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

#6 is a peach. The shorter tender cistern is identical dimensionally to #60's tender. It has that UP front end and the distinctive air piping under the air tank on the left side. This was Sam Speas' engine in his last years on the C&S. Hope you or Keith takes a whack at this. Or someone else on the list who models in Sn3. This isn't a model that looks like a #9 copy. It's unique. I can post a picture of mine if anyone is interested.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Mike, I too have a painted and weather 6, now with DCC

It did come with the goofy red number plate, and that is going to have to wait for another day.

Last weekend Norm Acker sent me a partially completed SketchUp model of the wood coal gate. I added some bolts, sprued it up and saved it as an 1:48 part. So if you want six of these,  go to my Shapeways site and order one. Add. this on top of your coal pile, in addition to the flue reamer, the clinker bar, the extra coal scoop and a grip or two to complete your locomotive!

I just posted a 1:64 sprue for you all. I figure the gates are unique to each locomotive,  but you be you.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Todd Hackett
For those of us too old to be standing on our heads while looking at the computer:

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Keith obviously posted his photo for Chris Walker -- for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, here's how Keith's number 6 looks:

Beautiful locomotive, Keith!

Wow, Mike, was nothing standard on the C&Sng?

I measured my plows, all are 42" from the bottom of the blade center to the top of the blade, so they were likely based on C&S 2-6-0s. And 3 out of 4 have the extra plates under the pilot beam and the coupler draft gear, like on number 9. One doesn't, must have come from a number 60, can't remember. So, I have both plows.

As for fitting under the larger 2-8-0s, I'm backdating my 71 to about 1924, based on the Otto Perry photo. This is what I'm aiming for:

And this is as far as I've gotten:

I think the plow looks pretty good, though now that you've gone and mentioned it, I'll probably file off the little plates ala number 9.

Or, by larger engines, are you referring to the big B4-Fs??

The plow on number 75 looks pretty tall, too.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Norm Acker
Hi Mike,
Thanks for all of the great plow information.

I should have dug a little deeper into photos before I had that wild hair with SketchUp a few days ago! We all joke about the "standards" used on our favorite railroad and that certainly applies to plows and coal gates as well. 20/20 hindsight is my specialty sometimes, ha.

I grabbed my scale ruler and drew that from an Ed Gebhart drawing in a 1996 copy of the "Bear Trap" that Paul Howald gave me a few years ago. Silly me for assuming that they were all alike... Back when I started out in On30 I scratched one out of stripwood for my Bachmann #22 on a whim (I use it for Christmas tree circling duty these days), but I figured that I needed about 8 of them so why not save some time.

I was so excited that Keith helped me out (thanks again, Keith!) by finishing the 3d drawing with the hardware and posting them to Shapeways - I'm using an old free version of SketchUp 8 and I was intimidated at the thought of drawing carriage bolts - that I immediately ordered 12 of them. So I'll have to do some modifications to be loco-specific as I add coal loads and details to some of my fleet.

Thanks again everyone for the great information that you share here, I really appreciate it!
Cheers, Norm
Norm in Littleton, CO
 - on the C&S Silica Branch
1 ... 910111213