Webster Tank, 1936

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Chris Walker
Todd Hackett wrote
Robert McFarland wrote
Theres a sterio card on eBay now with a similar photo-only no Bogie
It's item 372167466264. The starting bid is $150. That's six times what I just paid for the cabinet card, also on eBay.
That's really helpful, how about a link ?? Easy as copy/paste the highlighted address bar

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Todd Hackett
Chris Walker wrote
That's really helpful, how about a link ?? Easy as copy/paste the highlighted address bar
That's all you need to do when browsing eBay on a computer, but I was using the Android app, which lets you copy the item number, but I don't think there is a way to get a URL to the web site. All you need to do is go to www.ebay.com and paste the item number in the eBay search box, it will take you right there. I'm on my computer now, so the link is: eBay link

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Chris Walker
Thanks Todd, I appreciate that.
First thing I did was put in the item No. but that told me nothing matches, go figure!  I then tried Webster, and got 50,000 images of a UK photographer named Webster  Narrowed it to Webster, Colorado and nothing came up like that stereo card, nor under DSP&P, then I ran out of time.

Why would you buy this item when it is already on line, I wonder?

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

You guys are looking at the wrong card.The $150 card is actually an uncropped version of Kiersey's  00239,which doesn't show the depot or tank.It is impossible on our computer to enlarge the eBay photo to check out any detail.The other card is  simi.lar to the Webster station/Bogie photo but taken from a different angle. It is presently at $399.When I go hunting on eBay I type in" Denver,S" at which point the computer will give you"denver south park pacific".C&S comes out "colorado southern".Since there are usually only a couple of DSP&P pages it only takes a few seconds to scroll down and find anything.

Re: Enginehouse on the Wye at Webster.

Chris Walker
Kierscey Robert.  Following your Denver, S prompt, I get John Denver listings na, ha!
The view was this.  https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/V9YAAOSw-olaMvM6/s-l1600.jpg note an Outhouse across from the Depot barely noticeable in other scenes.

Anyway both the EBay views are after the Enginehouse was gone from Webster.
I was holding back on this one to see if anyone else had seen it in the link on pg 1 of this thread.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/13327/rv/singleitem/rec/1

Another clearer view is on pg35 of Mal Ferrell's The South Park Line.  A view with such clarity, one can make out the Crossbucks on the road crossing the Wye.

Re: Webster Tank: Taking water in 1937

snapped_bolt
Uh oh...

   Looks like that fellow is shutting the valve to the brakes judging by where he is reaching...that closest-facing brake beam has a touch of an alignment problem. If this was the last train out, it's probably a good bet that they just cut out the brakes to get down the line and close up the shop.

        Stan

Re: Webster Tank: Taking water in 1937

Stan,

pay no attention to this, I was totally wrong: need to put my glasses on next time.

Re: Webster Tank: Taking water in 1937

snapped_bolt

Hi Chris,

    With all due respect

    I have a drawing of both the New York Air Brake and the Westinghouse Air Brake systems used on these cars. Neither show the cutout cock between the needle beams. Do you have a different drawing?
   The person on the ground is facing the needle beam, not the truck. There is nothing there that can be adjusted.
   The "mechanic's tree branch" would serve no purpose in an adjustment of the clevis ends.
   The one thing that is accessible there is the butterfly valve to cut the air to the car's system. When he couldn't push it shut with the stick, he had to crawl underneath. His left arm is reaching up and in to the valve. This car probably hadn't seen much if any action in perhaps a dozen years. Valve is probably stuck open, and he's struggling to turn the handle without breaking it off.
    The misaligned brake beam could be causing the wheels to slide. Good reason to cut out the air, the next step could be prying the beam back into the released position so they can proceed.

    If this is indeed the last train, the boxcars are destined for scrap. Car repairs not likely on the menu- this should be a "get 'er done" job- just get the cars home!

      Cheers!

        Stan

Re: Webster Tank, 1936

Dave Eggleston

Robert McFarland wrote
What about the "freight house" near the depot noticeable in earlier DSP&P photos?
For what it's worth, I want to add this article to this thread. I didn't see that Robert's question on the freight house answered--hopefully I didn't miss that answer amongst the other discussion. This article is from the Feb 20, 1879, Rocky Mountain News and addresses what I believe is the warehouse seen behind the depot in the Weitfle photo and the foundation seen from early overhead views on the town.

Webster's boom lasted about 3 months, from January 18, 1879 Rocky Mountain News until late May, 1879, when the railhead moved west beyond Kenosha summit. Looking at the early overhead view of Webster showing the large foundation east of the station, it's not a big leap to the thought that the warehouse/teaming companies dismantled their structures and moved them west to the next railhead or the one beyond that.

By April 1880 a Mr Best (note the warehouse company at Webster in the article above) visited the Fairplay Flume representing the teaming firm of Wilder, Foreman and Co., which must have bought them out. Wilder, Foreman were about to build a 100' long warehouse in Como, alongside several others already there. Their teaming focus from there would be Fairplay, Alma and Breckenridge. Could this new Como warehouse be the relocated Webster freight house? I have no idea. This was a year before the stone engine house construction would start and Como became an operations/divisional center.

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Webster Tank, 1936

Dave Eggleston
Update: After writing the above post, while looking through dates equipment arrived on the line, I stumbled on this Rocky Mountain News August 20th 1878 article actually calling out that the warehouses were designed as moveable--on wheels! I had considered them dismantled but what exactly this alternative was is intriguing.

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA
1234