Flag Day on the Colorado Central--One for Chris Walker

Flag Day on the Colorado Central--One for Chris Walker

Jim Courtney

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364119893346?hash=item54c73ca562:g:AuYAAOSwjOljzbBa&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkMgy2EQG5UnJ8krorS1FclEm1kZ%2FUiWA4vdZqHRZeNybiafmAQv%2BmVmNBX42ilITFF6M45wGmJ6nZzcRibGsmOqROlqlD2wlgBGN%2BSoQdqksjP%2FPDMDtmBHoXW6190Fcd72LSIj50Mo6YSLsNXT9mm8keDQrOnp7uUp9jywcRQgXyC34T5ZLXkIL40dqL548VQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5K1ioe8YQ

Saw this on eBay, a 36 star US flag draped across Clear Creek Canon and the CC tracks.

Location is supposedly at Beaver Brook, dated 1870s.

Chris, do you agree on the location?  Looks like the spur is there, and possibly a glimpse of the water tank sprout at the right frame.

Any back story here?

Is the flag real or a trick print with a double negative?? The flag seems translucent with parts of the cliff visible through the flag . . .

Re: Flag Day on the Colorado Central--One for Chris Walker

Chris Walker
Great find Jim,

yes Beaver Brook but that Flag.

Looks like it is darkroom manipulation and I notice it's a 36 star, obsolete by two for 1877.   I had to go look that up(not being from around these parts) and the 6x6 pattern wasn't "official", it seems.
That platform in that configuration(from memory) didn't last too long.

Re: Flag Day on the Colorado Central--One for Chris Walker

drgwcs
Interesting image- I kind of lean toward a darkroom trick or double exposure. The longer exposures of the day would result is some transparency with things rapidly moving. However it would show some "ghosting" and not a hardened edge- similar to a time exposure not just a transparent image.
Jim
Jim Curran