Webster Tank, 1936

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

Chris Walker
Jim, I've seen it but can't remember where I'd seen it, it doesn't come up in three DPL searches using the various terms but it maybe there.  Thanks to Todd for the improved image as well.  What else do you have on Webster?

Note the trainman under the car taking up the slack or fixing something in the rigging. Down in the dirt, rail digging into his back, can't quite get that stubborn rigging into position, uncomfortable position in any weather.

OP-6335

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43054/rv/singleitem/rec/696

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

Bill Uffelman
All of my books and other materials are in storage but I recall having a  late 1970s/early 1980s calendar with a color photo of a NG train passing abandoned coke ovens.

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Chris Walker [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
Jim, I've seen it but can't remember where I'd seen it, it doesn't come up in three DPL searches using the various terms but it maybe there.  Thanks to Todd for the improved image as well.  What else do you have on Webster?

Note the trainman under the car taking up the slack or fixing something in the rigging. Down in the dirt, rail digging into his back, can't quite get that stubborn rigging into position, uncomfortable position in any weather.

OP-6335

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43054/rv/singleitem/rec/696

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Webster-Tank-1936-tp6843p6905.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

Todd Hackett
Chris Walker wrote
...What else do you have on Webster?...
What I have from Webster has already been posted in this thread, except this Kindig postcard:

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

Robert McFarland
What about the photo of the 2 stagecoaches and the DSP&P Boxcar?Re the Mason powered 3 car passenger train any ideas on what cars are in it?

Re: Webster and DWB Special

What else do you have on Webster?

I recalled one of the photos from the January, 1929, Denver Water Board Special:

Scanned from Colorado Rail Annual #12.

Engine 9 and the eastbound DWB special wait at the west end of Webster siding.  An east bound freight slowly eases down the Kenosha grade into Hall's Valley.  Is that center cupola caboose 1002 in silhouette at the end of the train?

Anyone have a better quality image of this photo?

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

What about the photo of the 2 stagecoaches and the DSP&P Boxcar?

Here you go, Robert.

http://www.narrowgauge.org/ncmap/ted/dspp1_webster.html

Re: Webster and Hall's Valley Loop

The loop and trestle at the upper end of Halls Valley is kinda part of Webster:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43024/rv/singleitem/rec/78

Re: Webster Tank Remains

Thanks Jim, and Todd.

OP-6073

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42228/rv/singleitem/rec/15

I thought this would have been posted by now....since it has been discussed....

http://www.narrowgauge.org/images/tkcok/m00332.jpg

and a final look back at Webster...
OP-6337

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43030/rv/singleitem/rec/2

Re: Webster Tank Remains

ComoDepot
Just come back from Webster, haircut. According to a local history book charcoal operations ceased in 1893.

Re: Webster Tank Remains

Robert McFarland
What about Dake?

Re: Webster Tank Remains

ComoDepot
Dake was also around that time, as nobody was left at Dake there seems to be less information. The story I read is that they ran out of trees, well I assume within a reasonable distance.

Must have gone through a phenomenal amount of wood.

Trying to remember the name of the cemetery, at Webster, it was the same family who operated the kilns. Lamming? I believe the Post Office closed about the same time the Depot burnt down, may have been connected.

Re: Webster Tank,

This photo shows the wye.

Re: Coke Ovens Passing.

I was browsing in my books, looking for another photo, and came across this one.  Thought it should come live here, too.

James R. Jackson photo, July 14, 1938, in Colorado Rail Annual No. 12

According to the caption, a group of rail-fan photographers were on hand that day, including Otto Perry, Richard Kindig, Hank Griffiths and young Jim Jackson (who took this photo with a new 35mm camera).  At Webster the photographers spaced themselves about like snipers, making sure that C&S 73 was in the kill zone by the abandoned charcoal kilns.

Young Jim snap this photo just after Dick Kindig took the postcard photo that Todd posted above, and seconds before Otto Perry took the photo that Chris posted at the top of the page.

Don't you wish you could have been there with them?

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Todd Hackett
Here's another view from a slightly different angle. It looks to be early (Nesmith stack?). No charcoal ovens, and I don't see any sign of a saw mill. There are some marks where some have said there was a wye, but it doesn't look like there's any track there.

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

ComoDepot
In 1880 Webster was a place of sufficient consequence for George Lechner to go there to play his instrument.

And some Pool I think.

Begs the question also was Webster the Railroad name, why was it renamed?

There was another settlement not that far away up Hall Valley, not far from where the grade turned.

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Jeff Ramsey
Cool stuff Todd.

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

"tanks" for posting that image, Todd
Who'd thunk it, three W.T. incarnations at Webster, and that shed rotated 90degrees as well.

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Wonderful photo, Todd.

And thanks for remembering this thread and posting it here. Keeping all this stuff together, building a thread by topic or location, makes it much easier to find using Roper's "search" function.

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Theres a sterio card on eBay now with a similar photo-only no Bogie

Re: Webster Sawmill 1887

Todd Hackett
Robert McFarland wrote
Theres a sterio card on eBay now with a similar photo-only no Bogie
It's item 372167466264. The starting bid is $150. That's six times what I just paid for the cabinet card, also on eBay.
1234