The last train through Alpine Tunnel? 110 year anniversary

The last train through Alpine Tunnel? 110 year anniversary

Kurt Maechner
110 years ago on this day, November 10, 1910, the last train went through the historic Alpine Tunnel...or was there another?  I explored this questionable date in an article previously found in The Bogies & the Loop.
Enjoy!
Kurt

Re: The last train through Alpine Tunnel? 110 year anniversary

Re: The last train through Alpine Tunnel? 110 year anniversary

Kurt Maechner
So now I have to discredit my own article. I wrote it a few years ago before I had access to Daniel W. Edwards Documentary History of the South Park series. Having just checked that book now, I found more facts. In Daniel W. Edwards' Vol. 1, he quotes from a Nov. 20, 1910 letter from the James D. Welsh, C&S General Superintendent, where Welsh wrote, "This leaves our Gunnison district west of Hancock so it can be closed as soon as we are able to move 48 coal and one box car to that territory." Daniel W. Edwards, the editor, then inserts a comment "This suggests that several freight trains hauling empty coal cars to Gunnison passed through Alpine Tunnel after November 20 and that probably the last engines, running light or going east-bound with a few cars, had gone through Alpine Tunnel by December 1."