Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Loggerhead
Does anyone have drawings, sketches, dims for the Sams semi automatic L&P coupler. I'm finishing up a series of 1:20.3 V&T cars dated from the 1890's and they have Sams couplers. Anything related to Tower couplers from the same era would be great as well

Thanks

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Dave Eggleston
I believe I have more on the topic buried somewhere. Randy Hees of the Nevada RR Museum in Boulder City knows a lot, IIRC. Also they must have info at the Carson City Nev RR Museum, too. I can't find anything in my Carbuilder's Dictionaries as I believe they predate Sams adoption by railroads, and I found nothing on a quick scan of Jack White's freight book--though I may have missed it.

The basic premise is a heavy link that sits in the drawhead and drops "automatically" (quotes intentional) when a drawbar enters.

Here are two images to start you out, found searching google books, the first an opinion piece from Ry Conductor of 1894 and the other an ad from Ry & Loco Engineering of 1896:

Ry Conductor 1894

Ry & Loco Engineer 1896

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Dave Eggleston
I should add, search these topics on Google advanced search. Narrow dates to 1880-1910. You should get at a minimum ads, if not more description.

Isn't there also a FB V&T group that you could ping on this?
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Ken Martin
I don't have info myself but the Society for the Preservation for Carter Railroad Resources at Ardenwood Park in Fremont, CA has a car with a Sams coupler. They also have a Sams pin that was found in Nevada along the old Carson and Colorado.

http://www.spcrr.org

Ken Martin

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Robert McFarland
Wasn't the coupler Bob Schoppe found a Sams?

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Loggerhead
Design and casting is now complete for a 1:20.3 functional Sam's semi automatic coupler. These are avail from Don Niday at Iron Creek Shops.

Re: Sams Semi Automatic L&P Coupler

Al Pomeroy
Design model

this is what you will get