Non-Revenue Service Cars

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

Very nice work and cars that can “operate” on the layout. I like the shadow of the old white band, great modeling touch.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Getting close: only fabrication of the smoke jacks and installing them remains.

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Jim Courtney
Inspiring work, Keith!!

Methinks that I need some outfit cars . . .

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Jeff Young
Very nice!

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

Nice work and a useful addition to the working roster of cars to the total operations picture.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

A lucky railfan saw 068 near Kokomo.

William Reed posted a pic of a D&RGW outfit car wit some pipe and lumber on the roof. I thought 068 would be an excellent candidate for this.

 The tarp is VMS Paper formed with VMS Paper Shaper. The rope is from Syren Ship Model Company.

A smoke jack and brake wheel will complete the model

Re: Non-Revenue Service Cars

Keith Hayes

It is said that the last 5% of a project is the most difficult. For me, this is the brake wheel installation.  I don't know why I put it off, but I confess there are more than a few cars that probably shouldn't go up the hill because the brakie won't be able to set the brakes coming back down.

These two B&B cars are no exception. The brake wheels had been assembled and painted for a while, and the smoke jacks had also been fabricated and painted for a while. A fellow modeler reached out to me about the window and door sprue for these models,  and it caused me to assess what it would take to finish the cars.

So, I drilled out the gear on the top of the car and glued the brake wheel on. Then I tracked down the folios and located and drilled the roof for the smoke jacks and glued these in place.

I still need one last clear coat to seal the decals, and 080 needs some details. Maybe not a bird cage, but a wash tub and some chain and rope, perhaps.

If you want to modify your Leadville Designs 27' Boxcar to become a B&B car, the windows and doors are available in 1:64 on Shapeways.