New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Todd A Ferguson
I would be interested in 1 in On3...

Todd

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 9, 2021, at 7:02 PM, Paul R. [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hello Jim,
I would like 2 of the early version and 1 later in S and HO. Paul R.

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/New-C-S-Model-Building-Offerings-All-Scales-tp16068p16416.html
To unsubscribe from New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales, click here.
NAML

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Hey Paul,

Just to keep my running tally correct, did you want 2 early versions in both S and HO (total of 4 kits)??

The late versions are available now for order, just go to Leadville Designs catalogue page https://leadvilledesigns.com/collections/all

The HOn3 kits are on page 2 for $34.95; the Sn3 kits (and On3) are on page 3, Sn3 kit $69.95 each.

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Paul R.
Hello Jim,
Short answer is yes, I am aware I can get the later ones now , I just mentioned them so you would have a
tally! Paul R.

On Wed, Mar 10th, 2021 at 11:54 AM, "Jim Courtney [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> Just to keep my running tally correct, did you want 2 early versions in
> both
> S and HO (total of 4 kits)??
>
> The late versions are available now for order, just go to Leadville
> Designs
> catalogue page  https://leadvilledesigns.com/collections/all
> <https://leadvilledesigns.com/collections/all>
>
> The HOn3 kits are on page 2 for $34.95; the Sn3 kits (and On3) are on
> page
> 3, Sn3 kit $69.95 each.
>

> -----
> Jim Courtney
> Poulsbo, WA
h8MTI2MTEzNDczMQ==

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

SteveG
I'd be interested in 2 for HO. Thanks for compiling the list of differences for the pre-USSA configuration!
I'm looking at modeling Como 1909-1910, and am always grateful for info on how to backdate to that era, since almost all kits reflect later configurations.

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Jim Courtney
Bill asks that all of you wanting early "as-built" versions of the stock car kit, regardless of scale, contact him directly at: <a href="http://<leadvilledesigns@gmail.com>">http://<leadvilledesigns@gmail.com>.

Bill would like to keep track of interest before committing to burn the altered kit in HO and O scales. The S scale "as-built" kit seems to be on, by the end of April, as soon as Bill catches up on a back-log of orders.

Jim

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--Conoco Tank Cars, HO and O scales

Jim Courtney
Bob Stears and Doug Junda have posted a beautiful photo gallery of their soon to be released Conoco tall dome tank cars in four lettering schemes: http://www.americanlimitedmodels.com/conoco-tank-cars/

For some reason it is found in the American Limited Models page of the overall San Juan Model Co. web-site.

The tank cars will be offered in On3 and HOn3 scales, both are pictured for size, so S.P. can visualize the difference -- too bad that they missed us Sn3 folks.

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--Conoco Tank Cars, HO and O scales

South Park
  I took a look.  Where is the banana for size comparison ?

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

My two kits of Bill Meredith's AC&F stock car arrived today.

The kit is very cool, the laser cut wood components are very well done. Including are two frets of etchings for the various pieces of hardware, and a small bag of high res 3-D printed door supports.

I unfolded the instructions to show you what's in the box:

Locating holes for every bolt head, and grab iron on the side boards, ends, fascia, side sills and roof have been burned in and a hundred or so Grandt small NBW are provided for a couple of hours of tedious fun.

The brass etching frets include many a small detail parts. Of note is the one piece brake lever etching for the phase 1 cars. The bolsters are etched in 4 parts: The main bolster sits atop a wooden pad, to which the "doughnuts" (center bearings) are attached. The ends of the main bolster are folded to angle down to the inside top of the side sill. Two separate pieces fold back down and under the side sill to complete the plate bolster.

A bag of injected molded parts from PBL and Grandt are also included.

I'm going to take a break from brass locomotive rebuilding and build up my two kits for my 1924 freight car roster.  I will report my progress in the "1924 Roster" thread . . .

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Jim Courtney
Note to those who purchased the Sn3 Version of the stock car kit:

Going through the parts for my two Sn3 kits last night, I noticed that the two needle beams were cut from the wrong thickness of basswood stock. They are way, way too thin (only 0.032"). The prototype needle beams were 4x6" in cross section, so the parts should be at least 0.060" thick.

I emailed Bill, and he is cutting new needle beams from the thicker (0.064") basswood stockand mailing them out this week to everyone who purchased the S scale kits.

So, if you've already started building, don't glue on the needle beams, new ones are coming!

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--Mid-1920's Cars and Trucks in S Scale

Jim Courtney
Keith has found that finding appropriate S scale vehicles for his late 1930's version of Leadville to be a challenge.
As I contemplate Breckenridge in 1924, I've been taking stock of what is available--other than Matchbox toy models--in S scale (1:64) for that era. To be sure horse drawn wagons (buckboards, farm wagons, ore wagons, etc.) were still common in Colorado in the 1920's, but the automotive industry must be represented as well.

SP will be happy to hear that some well detailed Model Ts are available in S scale. Over on the Olympic Peninsula, in Hoquiam on Grey's Harbor, a gentleman runs a company called Reviresco (or Tin-Soldier.com). He produces cast pewter and white metal figures for the war gaming hobby. He also has a line of 1/64th scale cars and trucks. I've acquired about a dozen of his modestly priced kits. Other than some European vehicles, mostly Roll-Royce models, most all of the vehicles offered are Ford Model T cars and Model TT trucks.

The Model T cars, pickups and light trucks include: https://tin-soldier.com/cars64.html

The one-ton Model TT trucks include: https://tin-soldier.com/64trucks.html

The parts are pretty much uniform from vehicle to vehicle (just like Mr. Ford's products), so cabs, beds, bodies, etc. are interchangeable.

The 1925 trucks look like a good starting place to build a model of SP's truck, should he ever wish to visit Breckenridge in S scale. And since SP has taught me what a "C-cab" is, I'd like a C-cab stake body truck that looks like this one, in a San Antonio museum:

Or maybe a dump truck to deliver ore for loading into C&S boxcars in the Breckenridge yards, something like this:

The colorful paint jobs on the labels make the kits look toy-like, when actually all the castings are quite nice. Fortunately, an on line search provided me with accurate color schemes for Ford Products from 1914 to 1925 . . .

More S scale vehicle models for the 1920's to come . . .

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--Mid-1920's Cars and Trucks in S Scale

South Park
  To be fair, most commerically operated trucks of the teens and 20's,
including Model TT's, often received colorful paint jobs and lettering
to advertise the business.  "Colorful" being the operative word for "not
black", but subdued colors that were fashionable at the time. Private
operators were more likely to leave them in Henry's famous black.  As
a semi-relative anecdotal link, .... Henry Ford's "paint" was actually a
Gilsonite dip, .... the product mined in Dragon, Utah and hauled to the
D&RG connection at Mack by none other than the 3' gauge Uintah Ry. !

===================

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--Mid-1920's Cars and Trucks in S Scale

Jim Courtney
Speaking of Model T's, for all you On3 modelers, there are a series of new 1/4" scale Model T chassis and bodies from Pacific Northwest Miniatures: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PNWMiniatures?fbclid=IwAR1uDFlzZAqIrWxkimF_ma-DEtoxHll4GCuS84R4BZkduZUOhxEpihcoCzI

The vehicles are 3-D printed, consist of a basic chassis print and several different body styles:

They would sure look good parked at Dickey or Buena Vista on some of our folks layouts on the forum.

PNW Miniatures also has lots of printed detail parts in 1/48 scale.

Now, if they would only print them in 1/64 scale . . .

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Geoff Hamway
For Jim and others of us interested in the "as built" stock car, Bill's website and Facebook page have been updated to show that he's now accepting pre-orders for the kit.
Geoff Hamway

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Thanks for the heads-up, Geoff.

I've ordered mine:

Will be offered in all three scales.

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

SteveG
Likewise, but I think I need to talk to him about how his web site is currently processing the pre-orders, at least for the HO version.

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Bill Meredith of Leadville Designs has a new offering scheduled for fall that should be of interest to C&S modelers. An AC&F boxcar, very similar to the St Charles boxcars (St Charles was absorbed into AC&F). Two versions apparently, C&S/RGS Miller cars and F&CC, later NCNG cars:

The F&CC car could also be built and lettered for the SP narrow gauge.

I've already got some pre and post USSA St. Charles and 1906 type-1 boxcars under construction from styrene kit bashes. But I just ordered one of the F&CC kits for my 1909 roster, for interchange. One of the RGS books documented that these guys made it as far away as the RGS in the San Juans, during the first decade.

Preorder at Bill's website: https://leadvilledesigns.com/

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Chris Walker
One of the RGS books documented that these guys made it as far away as the RGS in the San Juans, during the first decade.

I'll see your R.G.S. routing, Jim, and raise you one more....11,200ft to be exact, on the S.N. at Animas Forks....

DPL CHS.X7718

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

Jim Courtney
Chris, you always amaze -- the things you find hiding in DPL photos!

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S St Charles boxcars

Bill Meredith has just announced, that in addition to the AC&F "type 1" boxcar kits (see above), he will be doing a run of the 1898 St Charles boxcars that were delivered to the UPD&G in early 1898 and to the C&S at the end of 1898, on the eve of the emergence of the new railroad:

These kits, offered in HO, S and O scales, will have the pre-USSA hardware and the original door configurations, with outside door guard boards.

One can pre-order for November delivery at https://leadvilledesigns.com/

Re: New C&S Model Building Offerings, All Scales--C&S AC&F 1900 (phase 1) Stockcars

SteveG
Hi Jim,

Just a clarifying question here--does anyone know whether the AC&F and the St. Charles Co. both made cars for the C&S?
Admittedly, this becomes near hair-splitting when you factor in that the two carbuilders merged, but I'm curious as to whether there were any identifiable differences between the two (assuming they co-existed)?

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX
1234