Leadville Freight Depot

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Here are the doors, primed.

This is the first time I have gotten parts on a sprue. Previous experience suggested the machines have a way of setting down the material in a way that can create a grain. I don't have control over this, as I believe Shape ways staff manipulate the model to (hopefully) optimize printings and maximize the number of parts in a single print.

You can see the notable grain on the lower three doors. I believe these were the lower parts, as the upper parts appeared clear to my eye (and the primed part reflects this).

In the good news department, the beveled board edges rendered.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Jeff Young
Looking good, Keith.  Hopefully you'll be able to use the grainier ones on less-visible elevations.  The bevels do look nice, as do the mullions in the transom windows.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
The Leadville Freight Depot is turning out to be a large model.

It has exceeded the size of my cutting surface.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

South Park
  Dammit, Keith !  OSHA is going to have a fit with those
guys working that far off the ground without railings and
safety harnesses !  I see red tags all over this project if you
keep ignoring the regs !

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

My clamping is not near as sophisticated as Jeff's.

Espee, I don't think OSHA was around in 193x.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

How do you get that much work out of those little guys? It's impressive! Do they hire out and if so what's the going rate? Seriously, the structure is bigger than I realized. Please keep the pictures coming. Thanks for sharing.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Ohh, they finished the back wall!

I guess one fella already headed for beers.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Jeff Young
Wow, that is big!

I keep seeing all the detail available in S and being jealous of you guys.  Now I remember why I model in HO. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

The boys got the roof on, by Jove!

See how handy those car shop saw horses are? They work for buildings too.

I was worried I made the building too wide for the distance between the tracks, but I think it will all be okay.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Work has started on the platform.

The track side platform is missing the rim joist, so I cut back the Masonite base and added some framing.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Konrad Schreier
Keith - this is a great model - if I can offer a constructive comment,  I don't know if you put in the roof trusses,  but I have a few older styrene structures and it helps a lot with the long term stability of the model if to include some - simple .040" triangles work fine if they won't mess up the lighting - if you need see through,  I have used strpwood trusses in styrene buildings with success if they are sealed with water based urithane.

Konrad

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Konrad, thanks for the tip. I am not planning on installing trusses--one cannot see them--but a couple lateral braces may be in order.

Jim warned me about soaking parts in acetone too long.

I had 3 windows that escaped painting for some reason and set them to soak last night before I went out to get some dinner with my wife. I came back and this is the result. I didn't have this issue with Bestene, but they also only soaked for 20 minutes, not two hours.

Please be careful out there!

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Mike McKenzie
Wow, haven't seen that happen. I used to soak parts in acetone for 20 minutes (as suggested by Shapeways) but now maybe soak for 5-10 minutes. I've had narrow parts curl while soaking then flatten as they dry. Then again, I did a 3D On3 K-37 frame that kept it's shape just fine. Just be careful I guess...

Mike

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Mike:

I think I soaked my parts in Bestene before. Speaking with my friend, professional model builder and husband of Kelly Dunn of Dunn's Buns, Todd, he tells me that Bestene is about the weakest solvent out there. Acetone is a component of plastic: Todd was not surprised that the part warped.

Now we all know.

Don't sleep on the job!

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
A first coat of paint.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Got to Caboose today and picked up some 6x6 materials for rafters. Then my guys got on it and sub-framed the freight dock overhang.

We are getting close to wrapping up this project.

Hey, in the 30s, did this building have a shingle roof, or a corrugated metal roof?

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

usairman737
After the 2013 flood, and kits under water and mud for a week, I noticed the same effect in some resin structure parts. Perhaps there was enough weak solvent in the overflowed river water to effect the resin.  At the time, nobody had a theory as to why the resin warped.

Thanks for the theory./

Gerry

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes wrote
Hey, in the 30s, did this building have a shingle roof, or a corrugated metal roof?
Keith,
You can find that answer on pg 1 of this thread... in the 2nd photo of Jim's post.  http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Leadville-Freight-Depot-tp5228p5389.html

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Shingles it is, Chris. Thank you.

Re: Leadville Freight Depot

Keith Hayes
Freight depot progress.

The large eave brackets are installed. The shingles came this week, and I have started the chimney.