Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

My Sept/Oct Gazette was in the mailbox and I was surprised to see in the "New Products" section a review of an S scale Colorado Midland boxcar, offered by Leadville Designs. Hmmm . . . wonder if it is related to "The Leadville Shops"?

Going to the new website (https://leadvilledesigns.com), sure enough, Bill Meredith has started a new enterprise as a "boutique" spin-off of TLS.

He currently offers exquisite laser kits in S and O scales, including:

--Billmeyer & Small 28 foot D&RG low side gon of the early 1880's.
--Colorado Midland 34 foot St Charles boxcar of 1892
--DSP&P 27 foot UP built boxcar of 1884 !!!

Go to the website and check out the photos with enlargements.

So Keith, here is where you get those C&S outfit cars! All you need is to cut out openings for windows and end/side doors.
Jeff should note the 3-D printed HOn3 cars like the D&RGW kitchen car.
And Robert, you finally have an On3 laser kit for a DSP&P boxcar . . .

The kit offered is for the 1884 UP built cars that had the cut-out in the upper fascia board for the upper door guides, like this car near Fairplay c.1885:

Seems with very little work, the upper door guide could be lowered to these familiar visitors to Kokomo circa 1902:

As some of these cars came from the Kansas Central and ended up on both the UPD&G and DL&G, they could be lettered in alternate schemes:

The Leadville Shops sells lettering sets for all the versions posted above, both in S and O scales.

I just ordered several of the 27 foot boxcars.  I have to admit, that little D&RG gon is awfully nice, too!

Re: Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

Mike McKenzie
Bought one of the 28' gons. Not my era, but couldn't resist, very cool car. Will probably update the brakes and put it into MoW service. Have a couple Cimarron Works Ingoldsby cars as well, will use as cinder cars. Have some LS early boxcars and one of the stock cars too. Leadville Designs (was CW, then LS) are just too nice to pass up.

Mike

Re: Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

Geoff Hamway
For those who might be interested (hopefully more than just Jim, Mike and me), Bill was at the convention with a stack of kits ready to sell.
Geoff Hamway

Re: Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

What I would like to see them do is the the 26ft Litchfield boxcar like DSP&P 608 in On3.During the Cimarron days there was a beautiful Litchfield 600 in Sn3 and they were promising one in On3 but it never  materialized.More recently there was an attempt to make one but it seemed to only be body and framing but no hardware.NO HARDWARE?The thing that interests me about the Leadville cars is that they have innards.

Re: Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

Robert McFarland
And don' forget the correct Litchfield car siding.

Re: Leadville Designs -- New Sn3 and On3 Laser Cut Kits

Robert McFarland
Have you got any info on the old Simpson boxcars?Were they 26ft 1879 Litchfields?Are there any of them still around?