Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Kurt Maechner
When I posted a video of the Alpine Tunnel engine house I included some drone footage filmed by David Moore who graciously allowed me to use the remaining footage that he had not already posted.  Many enjoyed the footage and at least one person asked if Dave had flown his drone over the pass from West Portal to East Portal.  Indeed he had.

This post has this stunning footage from the west and the up and over to the east.
Enjoy!
Kurt

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Kurt Maechner
Correction: Title to the right of "Turntable" should read "Water Tower Base," not "Alpine Tunnel Station."
-don't know how I missed that one.

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

ComoDepot
A rare shot the did not include snow Ibet they wished they had drones back in the day, would have made things much easier.

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Kurt Maechner
It's truly amazing what an amateur can film these days.  I always loved those aerial shots in Historic Alpine Tunnel, but they were taken from a plane!

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

No drones,but H.H.Buckwalter did experiment with balloons,or you could sit or stand on a taller peak or outcropping and look down.

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

" ... I bet they wished they had drones back in the day, would have made things much easier."

============================

  Just try to imagine being sent SW out of Denver on horseback in the late
1870's to "find" the best route to run a railroad to Gunnison and beyond into
an area with no roads, few trails (where you need to scout), and zero accomodations !

  I have done a fair amount of field survey and I marvel at the incredible difficulties
these pioneers faced, just to do normal tasks that modern equipment would have
made a breeze of.

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Bill Uffelman
Ask Lewis and Clark or Mason and Dixon how easy their surveys were!

Bill Uffelman
Ocean View DE
North and East of the Mason Dixon line

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 3:57 PM, South Park [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
" ... I bet they wished they had drones back in the day, would have made things much easier."

============================

  Just try to imagine being sent SW out of Denver on horseback in the late
1870's to "find" the best route to run a railroad to Gunnison and beyond into
an area with no roads, few trails (where you need to scout), and zero accomodations !

  I have done a fair amount of field survey and I marvel at the incredible difficulties
these pioneers faced, just to do normal tasks that modern equipment would have
made a breeze of.

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Alpine-Tunnel-and-Alpine-Pass-by-Drone-tp15467p15485.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Robert McFarland
Have you ever seen the surveying scene with John Wayne and Oliver Hardy in "The Fighting Kentuckian"?

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

There are photos taken in the 20's of airplanes parked nearby the Fairplay depot.

Re: Alpine Tunnel and Alpine Pass by Drone

Now imagine them being sent to survey a route over Poncha Pass before the South Park changed its plans.