Jefferson progress report

1234 ... 6

Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
I didn't have enough room to model both the Platte and Jefferson Creek, so one end of my Jefferson scene is bounded by the river instead of the creek.  The town of Jefferson also had to be mirror-imaged, and the siding extended over the "creek" along with the mainline.  I used that opportunity to imagine an upgraded mainline trestle with frame bents on stone foundations, while the siding soldiers on with its original pile bents.

Building the trestle stringers (the square bits are red construction paper stained with oak and ebony wood stains):

My modified Black Bear trestle jig, and a custom 2º wedge for my true sander:

The piles are carved from square stock, and then epoxy-bedded into oversized holes in the river bed:

This allowed me to remove the trestle deck to finish landscaping the river bed:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson progress report

Bill Uffelman

Looks great!

Bill Uffelman

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Jeff Young [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
[...]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Jefferson-progress-report-tp5950.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Jefferson progress report

Love that creek bed!

Jim

Re: Jefferson progress report

Chris Walker
Jim Courtney wrote
Love that creek bed!

Jim
Is there any color in it?   I'll be waiting more progress shots from the Master of scenery.

Re: Jefferson progress report

Don Gustavson II
Very nice. I like the color of the wood.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
Trestle decked and tracked:

... and the (functioning) harp stand for the spur:

Re: Jefferson progress report

Don Gustavson II
Looks great.
What are you using for the bigger bushes?
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
Hi Don,

I glued a bunch of wallpaper brush hairs into holes drilled in a board, then flocked them with gold static grass, and when that was dry, flocked the result with 4:1 summer-green:light-green Super Leaf.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson progress report

South Park
  Jeff,

  Your creativity in detailing is amazing.

Re: Jefferson progress report

Great work, Jeff!!

Is the creek at Jefferson dry this time of year or will water eventually run down its course?

Jim

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
Thanks, guys.

(Yes, the creek/river will someday have water, but it’s something I’ve never done before so I’m going to build a practice module first.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson progress report

Doug Heitkamp
Jeff,

Very nice work! Do you have a trackplan or diagram available?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
I think I posted one somewhere, Doug, but it'd be a bit out-of-date anyway (I've made a couple of changes to the buildings in Jefferson and Kokomo).

Here's a new one:

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
Trestle number board:

Ranch fencing:

And some wildflowers:

Re: Jefferson progress report

Chris Walker
Sheesh that looks so good, Mister Jeff !

Re: Jefferson progress report

Doug Heitkamp
Wow, excellent modeling!
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Jefferson progress report

Don Gustavson II
Wow. Looks great! I really like the different size fence post. Really makes want to get more then dirt going on my layout.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Jefferson progress report

Don Gustavson II
Oh and.. The purple flowers are a nice touch.
I had noticed some small "sun flower" like flowers in one of the color photos on this forum beside the track. I get some around my house. Thought it would be fun to try and model.

And do I see a bear ?
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Jefferson progress report

John Greenly
Hi Jeff,
this is absolutely wonderful, I wish I could shrink myself to HO size and visit there!  Everything I see looks totally comfortable and natural in the scene, and that is very special.

Cheers,
John

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Jefferson progress report

Jeff Young
Thanks, guys!

Don, I was just thinking how much I liked some of the open dirt on your "climbing the grade" pictures.  I think we both need a bit of each.

For what it's worth, I did the fence by glueing the bigger posts into holes in the ground, then stringing the fence wire with superglue, and then weaving the thinner posts into the fence wire.  The thicker posts are scale 6x6 with the edges rounded off, while the thinner ones are twigs from a thyme bush.

Cheers,
Jeff.
1234 ... 6