Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Kurt Maechner
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

In honor of Thanksgiving, I put together a small list of C&S-related items that I'm thankful for from 2019.  There are certainly more, but this is what I came up with in the few minutes before I head up to the kitchen to prep for our Thanksgiving guests today.

I can add this C&S-fan community to that list.

Blessings,
Kurt

Feel free to add more C&S reasons to be thankful :)

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

skip
Thanks, Kurt, for this thread.
Modeling a somewhat out-of-the-mainstream subject like the C&S, I am particularly thankful for this forum and its community who support and provide critical data and insights without the internet-normal trash and noise. You all help me a lot.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Skip
Skip Egdorf

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Keith Hayes
I too am thankful for the  blog and the opportunity to share with all of you. Since most of us have the day off, slip into your hobby space and take a pic of your workbench.

You can see it doesn't have to be neat, or pretty; heck I don't really have a project going myself. Just post the pic.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Kurt Maechner
I love the snoozing fellow!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

skip
Keith Hayes wrote
I too am thankful for the  blog and the opportunity to share with all of you. Since most of us have the day off, slip into your hobby space and take a pic of your workbench.
Oh Boy! kind of a "What's on your workbench 2020" a month early.
Well, between roasting the Turkey I hope to add a couple of J-Hooks to the tender of #58 to hold the flu chasers. Or are they water spout go getters?  In any case...
Workbench - November 2019
Skip
Skip Egdorf

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

John Greenly
Here's a Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!  I'm so lucky to have this community as an inspiration to C&S modeling. Without all of you I wouldn't be spending happy hours at my workbench.  Here it is today--

I had an idea a while back of converting an old Westside HOn3 C-16 #278  into a C&S engine, specifically #30 as it was (as best as I can figure) in the famous picture of the engine derailed at the Como depot in about 1906.  I've got some questions that I need to figure out to make further progress on the engine now, will shortly start a thread to ask for your help.  I also have to make a completely new tender. Today while the turkey was cooking I made up a paper mockup of the shell to work out the dimensions.  Now I'll use this as a template to cut out a piece of brass, and then comes a long happy session with my old riveting punch.

I hope you all are having a fine, peaceful day!
John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Darel Leedy
Are you sure you really want to ask this of us Keith? Just know that it cannot be unseen.

Roper and I are thankful to all of you fine gentlemen for making this forum what it is. Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Don Peterson
So Darel, I trust that is an early "joint operating agreement" paint scheme on that fine South Park/Santa Fe depot.

Nice work as always!

Don Peterson

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Not a bad guess Don! This is the other end of my workbench...

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Robert McFarland
Who won?

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Don Pacetti
This post was updated on .
Happy Thanksgiving all!  Love this forum and the blog that goes with it. Well done Darrel! And to all who post here, many thanks.  Here is this weekend’s project - hardshell heaven =D

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Don Peterson
Looks like Roper let a stray get loose in the upper right corner. At least it looks narrow gaugie.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Don Peterson

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Good eye Don! Hoping to return that stray to it's rightful owner soon

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Jeff Young
I forgot to take a picture of the workbench, but here's some just-completed snow fencing:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

John Greenly
Wow, Jeff, just wow!

How about  a new thread, take us on a photo walking tour of Jefferson?

Cheers,
John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

chtrout
I also am extremely thankful for this site.  While I do not currently have the luxury of having enough room for a layout, I am deeply interested in the construction period through Platte Canyon for both the DSP&P, as well as the on-again/off-again grading of the D&RG "Acequia Cut-Off."

Members have been extremely generous with sharing resources regarding bridges, details regarding the right-of-way, and similar items of great historical interest to me.

I am so grateful to everyone who has been so very helpful.

Warm regards to all and Happy Thanksgiving!
Craig H. Trout

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Mike McKenzie

Happy post-Thanksgiving weekend everybody!

Sorry, not C&S related or Sn3 even (HOn3, for a "friend"), but it is on my workbench at least - a rectangular water tank inspired by Sumpter Valley and Quincy & Torch Lake tanks (but neither really) which will eventually reside on a Pennsylvania narrow gauge layout. A rectangular tank is a life-long itch I just had to scratch, so...

Behind the tank is an Sn3 CONX 5-ish which will be finished soon (!) and lettered for my C&S/D&RGW 3rd division inspired freelance line...

Mike

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

Charles McMillan
Skip,
Do I see a couple of new domes on the boiler of #58 ? They look really good. .
It seemed like I was making new domes for my collection of engines for months. You get good at spotting a change from the way the models were originally built.
Charles

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

pizlinard72
Thank you all for your interesting topics, discussions and insights. I learn a lot here.
Two engines on my workbench for regular upkeep (oil, clean, check).

Christian

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! a short 2019 C&S thankfulness list

skip
Charles McMillan wrote
Skip,
Do I see a couple of new domes on the boiler of #58 ? They look really good. .
It seemed like I was making new domes for my collection of engines for months. You get good at spotting a change from the way the models were originally built.
Charles
Good eyes! I think the thing that makes the #58 look really unique is the standard-gauge 4-4-0's domes. The Key model seems to capture a moment in the early 1930s when the old riveted air tanks had been changed to the smaller welded ones but the domes were still the original fluted ones. So I did my best to get as many dimensions and angels from photos of the rounded domes as I could and fired up the lathe. I think I got them about right. I wish there were some real drawings and measurements somewhere, but the look about right to me.

After the domes were swapped, the #58 had a simple round electric headlight. Then for a time in summer of 1933 there was a big square box headlight. Then a picture from early 1934 shows the plain round headlight back on that lasted until the end. Key included the square headlight, which does not seem to have been used with the fluted domes, so a minor nit-pick on them. I like the headlight, so I kept the Key headlight with the new domes and so the engine sits squarely mid 1933. Most of the rest of the details on the stock model are fairly good.

I have my normal Soundtrax DCC installation and an LED headlight. Once I get the motor installed and the paint on I will do a thread with some better photos and let you guys kibitz. Until then, it's being a lot of fun.

Skip Egdorf
Skip Egdorf