Golden Depot photos

Fred52
I am very interested in possibly putting together a O scale model like the Golden depot. Could someone let me know where to look to find any photos of it? I have only one picture of it in Ferrell's book on the C&S. Are there others out there? Thanks
Fred Cotterell
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Golden Depot photos

Chris Walker
Here's one for you, Fred.  There's another in the back of the CRRA#10 NG to Central & Silver Plume.

Golden History Museum Photo

Re: Golden Depot photos

Robert McFarland
A REALLY neat trailer!!!!!

Re: Golden Depot photos

Rick Steele
This post was updated on .
Everybody has seen the front of this depot, But have you ever seen the back?

Notice that the other "Depot" right next to it (according to the 1918 Valuation) is a ringer for Kokomo Depot. This was actually identified as "Baggage".

There were not a lot of photos in the Valuation, but this one was a real gem.

I can scan the field notes for both of them if anyone is interested. There is no floor plan but the description is quite good, if you can read it...

The back of Golden Depot

Re: Golden Depot photos

Jeff Young
Great picture, Rick!

Re: Golden Depot photos

Fred52

Chris: Thanks for that photo. Gives me more ideas.
Fred Cotterell

On Feb 27, 2018 5:12 PM, "Chris Walker [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's one for you, Fred.

Golden History Museum Photo

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Golden-Depot-photos-tp10926p10998.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Golden Depot photos

Rick, it is curious to me that someplace like Golden did not rate a finer example of architecture than this simple, gable building. It would seem a location with a shipper such as Coors would demand a more prominent railroad presence. But then beer doesn't give a whit about the waiting room so long as it makes it to market on time.

I also find it odd that the CC and South Park both seemed to use standard designs used as depots for purposes other than depots--see Golden (with the Kokomo and Dumont (?) doppleganger freight house) and Como (with the dispatcher's office a twin of Jefferson--or did they move it to Jefferson later?). Then there is the Silver Plume twin at Sunset on the DB&W. I wonder if these are all instances of UP prototypes?

Re: Golden Depot photos

Robert McFarland
Don't you mean GSL&P at Sunset?

Re: Golden Depot photos

Keith Hayes
Yeah, that railroad.

Re: Golden Depot photos

Chris Walker
There are several paragraphs pertaining to the griping about the Golden Depot in CRRA Ten, Narrow Gauge to Central & Silver Plume.

Re: Golden Depot photos

Fred52
Rick: thanks for the picture. Also any further information on the depot would be really appreciated.
On thing I noticed is that the depot almost looks like the one at Forks Creek. I mean basic shape wise. There is a difference in window and placement.
And in one photo the depot looks like its painted a dark color and the other it looks like it might be white or maybe a buff color.
I painted my depot, which is based on Harry Brunk's drawing in his book. It has been altered a bit but it's going to go on my first module.1045_1518620040985.jpeg
Its only about 75% finished at this point
Fred Cotterell
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Golden Depot photos

Rick Steele
This post was updated on .
The lighter paint (a light gray with green trim) was used prior to the 1909 takeover of the C&S by the CB&Q. In the later years, as the buildings needed repainting, they were repainted to the standard CB&Q colors of Boxcar Red and Coach Green.

The first attachment is of page 68 of the Valuation Field Notes. Note that building #3 is listed as "Depot".

And that on page 69 of the Valuation Field Notes, building #4 is also listed as "Depot"

If you need interpretation, there is one posted around here somewhere.

Yes Mike, I believe that there were pre-fab depots made by the engineering department that could be shipped from the Store Department and put up by the Bridge and Building gangs.

Look at the similarities to all of the depots along the South Park, Bailey's, Buffalo, Estabrook, Alpine, Mt. Princeton, Alpine Tunnel, Sherrod, Pitkin, Ohio City (which was actually Sherrod's Depot that had been moved), Dome Rock, Kenosha, Webster. Even the original Como Depot looks to be based on a common standard design. You can mix and match on the above list as I didn't segregate them by design.

You are correct in the design of Jefferson and the Dispatcher's office as well, although the dimensions were different.

I suppose that if you were a real masochist, you could break down the depots by size and floor plan... But I am too damned lazy.

Remember that the CC had the Standard Gauge as well and the the Depots in Georgetown, Longmont, Loveland and Fort Collins were very similar to each other.

Fred, if you are interested in the tank, let me know.

Rick

Re: Golden Depot photos

Chris Walker
There was this Maxwell photo of the Tank at Golden that also shows the proximity to the final Depot somewhat.

and in centre of this shot

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/7352/rv/singleitem/rec/168

Re: Golden Depot photos

Chris Walker
I never took much notice of Golden......until now

The key is knowing where to look, and what for....

X-9821

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/7073/rv/singleitem/rec/6

X-9813

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/7104/rv/singleitem/rec/224

Now I see why the people of Golden Town were griping about their Depot.

Re: Golden Depot photos

Rick,

in these Valuation notations, do they mention whether the buildings were constructed at certain date or relocated and remodelled for use?  E.G. the Golden Depot is listed in Dan Abbott's Colorado Central Rail Road as to be 1896.

I am curious.

Re: Golden Depot photos

South Park
  I seem to recall someone saying the Golden depot was moved there from Como.

Re: Golden Depot photos

Robert McFarland
And Perry was glad to get rid of it.The neighbors were calling it an eyesore.

Re: Golden Depot photos

South Park wrote
I seem to recall someone saying the Golden depot was moved there from Como.
well not quite but close S'th Park.

ps you were sending me picture links or have you forgot?

Re: Golden Depot photos

South Park
  I got busy at work and forgot.

Re: Golden Depot photos

Jeff Ramsey
I regret to say you are confusing the Golden with Denver but that's not the first time this has happened    .
123