DSP&P Supplement question

Kurt Maechner
Does anyone know what is left out of the Abridged version of the Pictorial Supplement to DSP&P?
I know it is missing a chapter on Ohio Pass, but does anyone know of anything else?

I have owned the Abridged version for years, but wonder if it's worth getting the unabridged one.

Thanks,
Kurt

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Todd Hackett
My recollection is that only the Ohio Pass chapter was eliminated. The main reason I would suggest buying the  original is that the photo quality is much better. I'm pretty sure that Jim Trowbridge copied them directly from the halftone images in his copy of the original book, and between that and cheaper paper, there is a lot of detail that got lost. I still bought a copy because the originals were hard to find before Ebay, and when one show up, it was way out of my price range. I've long since picked up an original and disposed of the reprint.

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Robert McFarland
There are about 4or 5 pages at the end of the original showing passes, papers,tickets and a small map showing projected DSP&P routes  beyond Ohio Pass as far as the Colorado-Utah border.

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Todd Hackett
There's a good deal on an original on Ebay that just popped up.

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Rick Steele
Kurt,

Definitely get the original if you can. I did what Todd did, I had the Trowbridge reprint but sold it when a copy of the original DSP&P Supplement became available.

The paper is older, but there is a world of difference in the print quality.

Rick

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Jim Courtney
And if you obtain a copy of the original "Supplement", I would urge you to scan your favorite photos into your computer.

I obtained my copy back in 1983. It was new, still packaged in its never opened original brown cardboard wrapper, even had an addressed 3-cent postcard to Richard Kindig for feedback and comments.

Over the years, I've noticed that the printed photos have faded considerably.

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Robert McFarland
Also the original came with a pocket that included a map of  the Baldwin/Ohio Creek Pass unfinished grade and an 1884 DSP&P Timetable and rules sheet

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Kurt Maechner
Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations.  I found one for a good price on ebay and just got in the mail.  It was definitely worth it.  Besides the better photo quality there are all sorts of little gems not included in the abridged version.
Very excited to peruse it more!
Kurt

Re: DSP&P Supplement question

Kurt Maechner
Also, it is just amazing to have actual signatures of Poor, Haley, and Kindig in the front.