the winter of 1899

Matt Hutson
Hi guys,
Yesterday the Summit Daily News had a story about that winter vs. a recent big storm event. In the story there's a link to a first-hand account of the 1899 winter by a guy named Elmer Peabody. I downloaded the doc and read it. It has some railroad items in it - those who are interested can find it here:
https://breckhistoryarchives.org/uploads/r/breckenridge-history-archives/3/2/1/321e91f09ff8f41c8c2cda0d8c4eab661ed074902b3a314d5703634fdd354d51/BHA.2016.3.1-3.pdf

The link is to the archives of Breckenridge History. I hadn't been to their website before, but for those with the inclination they've got some good railroad pics:
https://breckhistoryarchives.org/

Cheers,
Matt

Re: the winter of 1899

Re: the winter of 1899

Thanks Matt and Chris,

Great photo! I would argue with the assigned date of 1922 for the photo Chris posted. Here is an enlargement of a 2nd photo the same day:

https://breckhistoryarchives.org/uploads/r/breckenridge-history-archives-2/d/1/8/d18572720b3c914179bb8cfbd151c086bb7cdbce752f80ac0396baeb36ba8974/BHA.2017.6.4.jpg

C&S 10 has a big Pyle headlight without visor, has lost its "intermediate tender" appearance. Baggage car number 3 has had the steel sheathing applied to the lower part of the sides.  I would guess the photo was actually taken around 1927-1929.

This photo from the Colorado Rail Annual was dated to be 1927:

Number 10 has its modern appearing tender, but still carries the old oil headlight housing.

In Ferrell's book, number 10 was photographed at Idaho Springs in 1928, double heading a extra passenger train, likely an excursion up the Loop to Silver Plume:

Re: the winter of 1899

Matt Hutson
I like this one as it shows both railroads in Tenmile Canyon, not something I've seen much. I believe I-70 now covers the site of the Grande truss bridge on the other side of Tenmile Creek:
https://breckhistoryarchives.org/r48e-k9es-qr28

Cheers,
Matt