Yet Another DPL Gem: Unseen Clear Creek.

Re: Unseen Clear Creek: Elk Meadows.

South Park
WOW !  I have never seen that shot before !

Unseen Clear Creek: Above Inspiration Point.

Chris Walker
South Park wrote
WOW !  I have never seen that shot before !
I'm having that chiselled on my Headstone!

Unseen Clear Creek: The Lost Bridges of Clear Creek.

Chris Walker
Gentlemen....

Years ago on one of my Up Clear Creek Pilgramages, Joe Crea mentioned that "around someplace here, twin Truss Bridges may have or may not have existed, that dissappeared early on".
Since I'm not exactly certain where we actually were at that moment(I was distracted by driving on the wrong side of the road at the time), I've always thought that it was Floyd Hill on account the hills at the vicinity being modified by the Quarry and also by the new(ish) C.C. Parkway and there was now no way to verify the image.
Additional viewing of the area yielded similar peaks but had no corelation with the strata present on the right edge.

Lachlan McLean Photo

enlarged...

There is no mention in any of the Books about this nor have I seen the picture published and after hunting on and off around Floyd Hill various times in Streetview, I found the picture was actually taken on North Fork of Clear Creek, above the outlet of Russell Gulch, some 3.6 miles up from Forks between Cottonwood Gulch and Smith Hill.

The picture view is to the downstream; that led to the Floyd Hill confusion in my mind, upstream thinking there.

39°46'02.6"N 105°26'54.1"W

Just what happened to these Truss Bridges I cannot say but they possibly fell victim to a Clear Creek Cataclysm, or at least to a line change elimination.

Re: Unseen Clear Creek: The Lost Bridges of Clear Creek.

Jim Courtney
Chris,

You do find the greatest photos and info!!

Re: Unseen Clear Creek: The Lost Bridges of Clear Creek.

Dave Eggleston
Chris Walker wrote

There is no mention in any of the Books about this nor have I seen the picture published and after hunting on and off around Floyd Hill various times in Streetview, I found the picture was actually taken on North Fork of Clear Creek, above the outlet of Russell Gulch, some 3.6 miles up from Forks between Cottonwood Gulch and Smith Hill.
Chris, I've seen quite a few articles from the 1880s and 1890s mentioning washouts in the area from Cottonwood to Smith Hill--quite a few are found in Edward's books on the line, too. It seems there were two big cuts and fills and tight curves that were repeatedly washed out or washed in and the line was slowly straightened over the years and the cuts were removed by the late 1890s, if I recall correctly. But the bridges, those are a revelation! Wonderful find.
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA