There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3374/rv/singleitem

This is the Anderson Mill aka Bertha GM&MCo.No.1.Mill.   The Bertha Co was involved in the Newhouse Tunnel project.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67930/rv/singleitem

Originally with just a stub Siding connected at the West end.  Enlarge the photo(below) to see at this time period, the 2nd W.Tank in the distance between 4th&5th Ave close to the Moscript&Hassell lumberyard.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3292/rv/singleitem

The Mill changed but little in the brief period of existance, shortly after came roof signage and a wagon weighbridge, then 10 more Stamps added, trackage rearranged into a double-ended siding with another stub siding connected at the East end added.  A  rock retaining wall has also been constructed to protect the new mainline from the ravages of Clear Creek.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67648/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/90/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/1428/rv/singleitem

And then it was gone.  The siding remained for awhile but that too was torn out prior the 1939 C&S valuation survey.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3309/rv/singleitem

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Rick Steele
Hey, I like that one Chris. A siding track and a pass (runaround).

Rick

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Chris Walker

Rick,

that you called it a passing siding, that's exactly what we called 'em here, I didn't think I should use that term on here though.  Very common in useage at Idaho, no less than 7 in I.S. alone, must make for the most complex industrial switching area in all of the Colorado N.G. which in further I.S.Mill installments I shall relate.

Here's a 1920's view of the same siding "still in"...Even after the Bertha was demolished, the passing siding remained, I'm not certain if the stub siding did though.   Must have made a good place to stash loads-out for easy pick-up on the return to Denver.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/3369

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Chris Walker
In the background behind the Coach can be seen the former site of the Anderson/Bertha #1 mill.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42525/rv/singleitem/rec/4

And looking back the other way from the location of this Mill, Otto Perry caught #70 leaving Idaho.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42631/rv/singleitem/rec/7

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Chris Walker
Another view of the Bertha No.1 Mill, the weighbridge now being covered and the signwriting has faded away.  The roof line reveals the additional 10 Stamps.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77856/rv/singleitem

Check out the Colourised version of this view in the latest post over at Roper's Doghouse http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.co.nz/2015/04/ropers-snapshot-saturday-no41.html

His second colourised view can be found in its entirety on pg306 of Mineral Belt Vol. 3.

Re: There But Not Noticed At The Edge Of Idaho Springs: The Anderson Mill.

Chris Walker
 Sanborn Postcard view of I.S. shows a re-incarnation adjacent the site of the Bertha No 1. that is of interest to me.

and a late 30's early 40's view shows the same.

The Anderson Mill. Additional Information.

Chris Walker
I never did find out just what was "re-incarnated" on the Mill site there, but I did come across these articles concerning the date of Build, Sale and Structural changes made over the course of time.

1898 Newspaper Advert

The following missives indicate a shorthaul from the Newhouse Orebins 1600 Ft to the Anderson/Bertha Mill : The tonnage indicated suggest by C&S carloads.  Interesting possiblities for the switching layout operator.