The Twisting Tale of the Georgetown Loop - Part 1

The Twisting Tale of the Georgetown Loop - Part 1

Kurt Maechner
I posted the first of a several part series I have been working on to chronicle the history of the restoration of the C&Sng's Georgetown Loop.  This is a portion of a larger project I've been working on for some time.

I've tried to research what happened from the Loop's abandonment in 1939 to the first train over the reconstructed bridge in 1984.  I was greatly helped by several individuals who were a part of the Loop's early days including Lindsey Ashby, who graciously shared his experiences with me.

I will post it in several parts. This first segment includes a short background of the Loop, its inception and eventual abandonment, and then moves to the near destruction of its remains when I-70 was built and the eventual growing but nebulous interest to preserve the valley for historical purposes.

I'm hoping some of you will enjoy hearing the story, but I am also sharing in hopes to learn more.  I would be happy to receive any information that my readers, especially those involved with the Loop, may have to adjust or correct the content.

Enjoy,
Kurt