Tank Cars

jim pallow
   The Morrison post got me to wondering how long were there 3 rail tracks at the Denver refineries? JP

Re: Tank Cars

This is interesting, I've never read anything about the NG servicing any refineries except at Florence and Alamosa.  I always assumed there was a transfer track where the fuels were swapped from SG tankcars.

Who can tell us more on this as Denver trackage details were rarely photographed?

and a picture of my favourite Tank to look at while we wait for an answer

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42624/rv/singleitem/rec/5

Re: Tank Cars

jim pallow
   I know that in the 70s there were still ties just east of Rice yard that had markings from the third rail. Also, when listening to the yard Foreman or hostlers they would refer to parking power on the "third rail". The "third rail" hadn't had a third rail in years but it was still refered to that way. It would seem odd to me that they would load a SG car at the refinery, move it only a few miles and then transfer the load. JP

Re: Tank Cars

Darel Leedy
You mean the "McAnswer" Chris?

Re: Tank Cars

Darel Leedy
There is still three rail trackage in the area where there may have been a refinery? I believe this was originally the site of the Boston Smelter. The road crossings on 56th ave. were three rail last time I drove over them. They appear to have been re-paved now.

Re: Tank Cars

Rick Steele
JP, we even had a "Third Rail" in the Hill Yard in Denver on the UP. Old nicknames die hard.

Rick