Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

X-3508  http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/6201/rv/singleitem

Out past the Western end of Idaho Springs was a place called Spanish Bar named back in the days when the Clear Creek was being Placer mined. Once the sluice miners moved on further upstream to richer "diggings" the hardrock miners moved in and laid claim to this area that later came to be known as Stanley Mills on the C&S.

Here there were a large number of mines and a couple of smelters were established. The location of the largest and longest lived Mine, actually on a Railroad siding served by the C.C./U.P.D.&G./C.&S. and still standing today pretty much in the same form as when the C&S pulled out way back in 1939, that story is to be found here.  One of these Smelter buildings was re-purposed for a seperate mining claim before being demolished.  There has been several mis-interpretations of that in previous publications which I hope to set right here and also show why the new Shafthouse of the Plutus was completely replaced by another nearby only after a few short years.

Much re-development of this area under the Con. took place over the years and the following photographs will illustrate this to good measure.  I have touched on this area previously in Stanley Mills: Part One....The Lincoln and Alma-Lincoln Mills.
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/Stanley-Mills-Part-One-The-Lincoln-and-Alma-Lincoln-Mills-tp3389.html
and in Stanley Mills: Part Two. Salisbury Mill and Donna Juanita Mine.
 http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/Stanley-Mills-Part-Two-Salisbury-Mill-and-Donna-Juanita-Mine-tp3483.html

In past written works, this whole area has some confusion as to the application and useage of the Stanley Mine name which was the Road Level Tunnel located adjacent the (newest) Gehrmann Shafthouse that still stands today, the "old" Stanley Shafthouse was the Plutus Mine.  Add into this the former Hukill and Whale Mines became the Stanley Consolidated with the Crockett, Salisbury, Pride-of-the-West and York properties among a host of other claims and you can easily see where some confusion exists in the vernacular.  The Whale Adit has also been known as the Stanley Mine and the Skyrocket Mine was also called the Stanley Mine to add further confusion.

To this extent I have used the USGS references 1908, 1917 and 1966 to compile this but make no attempt to unravel the complex corporate structure of the various Mining Companies that oversaw the operation of the numerous claims.

The first of the "new era" Smelters on Spanish Bar was the Whale.

CHS.X4592 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/10098/rv/singleitem/rec/63

This building was later truncated and modified into a Mill for the adjacent Crockett Mine on the North Bank of Clear Creek but lasted in this configuration only for a short time. It did not become the Stanley Con Smelter as stated in Abbott/McLeod Colorado Central Rail Road, Sundance Publications pg320 and 322.  The derelict Brick foundation rectangles of this building were still to be seen in many of the later views and the adjacent Boardinghouse, that later became the Stanley Hotel provides a key locator.  The single large-stacked Whale Smelter building construction was similar but differing considerably to that of the nearby Plutus Smelter built later and shown in this photo below.

from pg 26  Secure The Shadow: Lachlan McLean: Colorado Mining Photographer Duane Smith/Hank Wieler CSM Press 1980

Of interest was the Crockett Tunnel portal directly alongside the grade of the Colorado Central. The Mill building is now only half the original length of the Whale Smelter.  In the foreground is the newly constructed Plutus Hoisthouse.

from Abbott/McLeod Colorado Central Rail Road, Sundance Publications pg322.

In  Mills of Fall River. Connecting the Dots.    http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/Mills-of-Fall-River-tp2576p2809.html  I introduced several photos of a Flume under construction shown here in a companion view by Lachlan McLean.

Z-4758  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/87952/rv/singleitem/rec/525

that led to this building shown on the left.

Lachlan McLean photo Idaho Springs Historical Society coll.

An inside view of the Compressor House.

CHS-B396  http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3886/rv/singleitem/rec/43

Sanborn Fire Map 1908

from the Colliery Engineer and Metal Mines 1894, Volumes 14 and 15. (SIC Standley)

Installation of the Nozzle that required some good old-fashioned hard work digging down that deep in the bed of Clear Creek with only handtools.

Z-4761  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/80202/rv/singleitem

Note that this snippet from Colorado School of Mines Library confirms the 1894 Date.
General mining news. Colorado (Nov. 3, 1894).

1. Plutus Smelter   2.  Plutus Mine Hoisthouse   3.  Salisbury Mill  4.  Foundation remains Whale Smelter  5.  Boardinghouse
6.  Powerhouse  7.  Crockett Tunnel  8.  Whale Adit dump  9.  (Future site) Gehrmann Shafthouse  10.  Lincoln Mill  11.  (Future site)  Donna Juanita Headframe (orange)

Lachlan McLean photo Idaho Springs Historical Society coll.

The Mayflower Mill and Hoisthouse was a short distance East of the Whale Smelter.

CHS-B678 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/4034/rv/singleitem/rec/510

Sanborn Fire Map

EDIT:
Lachlan McLean photo

enlarged to show the Hyland Mine(the stealthiest mine building ever).

The Mayflower came under control of new owners.

Lachlan McLean photo

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Chris Walker

Lachlan McLean photo Idaho Springs Historical Society coll.

What a marvelous inspirational sight this must have been to the Mining Investor.  The Complete Plutus nestled in the Clear Creek Valley.

By the date of this the Whale Smelter is but a few bricks left, this snippet from the 1879 Engineering and Mining Journal 28(13) p 221-222 may or may not provide an answer ...
The Hukill, now including the Whale, is showing good ore; The Hukill concentration mill was removed due to insecure foundation walls; a new mill of 100 tons will be built.
the Crockett Tunnel now just a waste rock dump outlet and the Plutus Shafthouse will be replaced within 5 years.

Sanborn Fire Map 1891

CHS-B1486  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/4932/rv/singleitem/rec/1626

An inside view of the Plutus Smelter, note the longitudinal ridge cupola.

CHS-B398  http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3902/rv/singleitem/rec/48

from USGS 1917

Here is the reason that the Plutus Mine Hoisthouse was replaced so soon by the much larger Gehrmann Shafthouse.

from the Colliery Engineer and Metal Mines 1894, Volumes 14 and 15. (SIC Standley)

Stanley Mills: Part Three. Stanley Hotel Flagstop. Addendum.

Harry Brunk's model version.

The last and largest Stanley Consolidated Hoisthouse was called the Gehrmann and should not be confused with the German Shaft, which was another Mine at the head of Virginia Canyon above Idaho Springs.  Rather than bore you with the details of this new Shafthouse, I will include snippets from the USGS and Trade Journals of the time to give a far better description of the works.  Mining details can be boring to modellers or not, I leave it to you.  My thanks to Ken Martin for linking me with the answers to some very old questions regarding what had always looked like to me to be an Inclined Shaft structure.

Lachlan McLean photo Idaho Springs Historical Society coll

Lachlan McLean photo Idaho Springs Historical Society coll.

Composite Sanborn Map

CHS-B1486  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/4932/rv/singleitem/rec/1626

Looking into the above view, is this the only picture that may show a Locomotive on the Siding?

MCC-368 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77738/rv/singleitem/rec/16

from USGS 1966

The Road Level Tunnel was across from the Shafthouse as seen in this view.

From A History Of Clear Creek County. 2004. Historical Soc. of I.S.

An inside view.

CHS-B337  http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3790/rv/singleitem/rec/75

from the Colliery Engineer and Metal Mines 1894, Volumes 14 and 15. (SIC Standley)

The previously unknown Stanley (Mills?) Flagstop. At the time of the great Yellow paint splurge, which co-incided with the name change from The Stanley Consolidated Mines Co. to The Stanley Mines Co., the ground was prepared for the new Flagstop: note the small trestle Br. No. 14 on the curve, this crossed the 18" gauge minetrack into the Crockett Tunnel.  12lb rail was still in place there at the time of the 1939 valuation survey indicating some reworking during the 1930's. Also of note is the Suspension Footbridge, which is just that, not a "pipe" support structure.

MCC-368 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77738/rv/singleitem/rec/16

Lachlan McLean photo

enlarged to show the details of this little building.

Lachlan McLean photo

X-60762 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/36555/rv/singleitem/rec/51

From A History Of Clear Creek County. 2004. Historical Soc. of I.S.

X-60762  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/36555/rv/singleitem/rec/51

Rounding out this segment of the Clear Creek valley, a last look at the Boarding House from the era of the Whale Smelter.  At some point the rearmost addition was truncated or rebuilt.

CHS.X4592  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/10098/rv/singleitem/rec/63

X-60762 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/36555/rv/singleitem/rec/51

MCC-368  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77738/rv/singleitem/rec/16

Lachlan McLean photo enlargement.

X-3328 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/2821/rv/singleitem/rec/257

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Chris Walker
For those who desire to learn more about the convoluted Stanley Mines claim history

Harry Brunk in his Stanley Mines article in the Nov/Dec 1985 NG&SL Gazette queried the existence of Mill equipment inside the Shafthouse, these snippets should explain the ore-sorting process.

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

A fascinating read, Chris.

On my first trip up Clear Creek, in January of 1973, I have vivid memories of the Stanley Mines structure to the south as I drove up the Interstate.  I wish I had found an exit and explored the site and taken photos.

I'm looking forward to future installments of your series, especially the mines and mills of Silver Plume.

Jim

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

South Park
  Anybody else notice the man's face peeking out of the open elbow of the pipe fitting ???

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Jim Courtney
Yes, but I wasn't sure what I was seeing . . . thought it might be an example of "possessed" plumbing by a deceased spirit.  Like the P-trap under my kitchen sink.

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Jeff Young
Great stuff, Chris.  I enjoyed reading that.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Thanks for the excellent posts, Chris!

This area has captured the imagination of generations of modelers since I-70 was improved through this area in the 60s.

I myself attempted a flat of the Stanley Consolidated shaft house:

It is a large beast of a thing--even at just over a inch deep, it is about 24" long. I never got to finish the lettering, as I demo-ed the layout and started construction on Leadville.

The parts persist however and may reappear. Thinking out loud, maybe I can repurpose this at Climax?

Re: Stanley Mills: Part Three. Two Smelters and the Consolidated Stanley Mines.

Thanks to Colorado Artifactual for revealing this part of the improvement (rebuilding) process at the Gehrmann Shafthouse.

These views are of the Road Level Tunnel referred to previously(above) and that was modelled by Harry Brunk see:http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/Stanley-Mills-Part-Three-Two-Smelters-and-the-Consolidated-Stanley-Mines-tp5619p5621.html for context.

It's not often one gets before and after shots taken in the same place(the later view was already presented above)..

Another view of the Gehrmann Shafthouse.

Another view of the Ore-dressing room, this is located on the floor above the Chutes, the sorted Ore being dropped through the square hole into the ore-pocket below: one for the interior detailers, eh!.