Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Kurt Maechner
This is the second part to my family's 2018 trip over Boreas Pass.  In the video, I designate location with insets corresponding to Google Earth so you have a sense of where you are on the journey over the pass.  Several sites are pointed out as well including:
-Selkirk trestle
-Selkirk water tank
-Selkirk siding
-2 different wreck sites (one from the 1890s and another from 1936)
-Boreas snowshed
-Boreas summit (more detailed film at the summit and the facilities and displays there will be in a future video)

If you expand the description in Youtube I've also created timecode links to points of interest which allows you to jump to those parts without watching all the way through.

I hope you enjoy it,
Kurt

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Steve Black
Gives me what idea of what I will hopefully doing this summer.  I am surprised on how much traffic there was.
Steve Black Springdale, AR

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Kurt Maechner
Very true, there was a lot of traffic.  I was surprised how many people were at the summit.  That being said, it didn't feel congested.  Enjoy your trip this summer.  It is such an amazing feeling to traverse an entire pass the same way the C&S trains did.

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

ComoDepot
I walked up to Davis Overlook on Saturday, mistake, a blizzard on the way back, will be interesting to see when they get the pass open this year, still snowing but not accumulating in South Park. Will be a big melt this spring.

They will wait for the snow to melt out, the road to dry out and then do any repairs. Breckenridge closes the ski runs this weekend.

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

John Greenly
I enjoy seeing Kurt's videos, and also hearing about the South Park weather --  makes the place more real to me than my mostly black-and-white notion of it from the old photos.  I'm beginning to think that if I ever get to the point of making a layout or diorama, it will have at least some snow on it.  But before I do, I have to get out there and see it myself!!

thanks!

John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

ComoDepot
John, well it is around freezing and snowing currently. The main difference would be the colour of the grass and if you have Aspen if they have leaves on them or not, snow does not tell the season.

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

John Greenly
Como D.,

Yes, that's sort of what I was thinking-  there could be snow in some places at almost any time of year, especially if I model someplace at as high altitude as, for instance, Kokomo.  The grass colors and the state of other plants foliage would be the things to get right for a chosen season.  This just gives me a reason to visit several times in different seasons to decide what to choose!

John

John Greenly
Lansing, NY  (a long way from the South Park)
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Fritz 52
Kurt
Simply Amazing video!
Fred Cotterell

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Don Gustavson II
Nice work on the Video Kurt.
I like that you point out the different points of interest and include pictures.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Fritz 52
Hello all. faq

I am intrigued by this video. Being an avid mtn biker theres a few questions I have about the road up the pass and possibly other rideable sections of ROW up there.
My sons and I are planning a trip out to Colorado this August and are bringing kut Fat bikes with us.
Is there much rideable ROW around the South Park area?
Is the Boreas Pass rd ok to cycle up on a bike?
We would love to hear from anyone who can help us figure this out..
Fred Cotterell

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Kurt Maechner
I'm really glad so many of you have enjoyed the video.  I really liked adding more historical photos this time.  I'd like to go back to my part 1 video on Boreas Pass and add some more to that portion.  We shall see!

Thanks to any of you responsible for marking the C&S routes and spots on Google Earth.  That is so, so helpful!  If anyone doesn't have the Google Earth DSP&P overlays, you can get them here.

Fred, I haven't personally biked on Boreas, but I did see at least one biker coming down the Como side of the pass (He shows up at 6:29 in part 1 of my Boreas video).  The biggest challenge of course is the auto traffic.  When we were there people were driving relatively slowly (25-35mph) and the ROW is pretty wide so I think you'd be pretty safe (except when two cars are passing on some of the more narrow spots).

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Steve Black
We did Boreas Pass yesterday. The weather was great, saw lots of cool stuff and traffic was not all that bad on the road up the pass. We went down to Breckenridge where we there were lots of bicyclist going up.  Then on to Alma and over Kenosha Pass.

It was a great C&S day.

Steve

Steve Black Springdale, AR

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Chris Walker
I wish you guys would announce your trip intentions in advance since there is Detective work still to be done such as locating the Tank Footings at Hoosier....see:http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-Water-Tank-at-Blackhawk-December-11-1913-tp11993p12226.html

Any one else planning to head over Kenosha this Summer ?

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Keith Hayes
Thursday.

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Chris,  285 has disturbed the native grade here considerably. If the road to Hall Valley, the river is near to the south and there is a really nice barbecue wire fence between road and river.

A bit to the north there is a larger bench.

No sign of footings were observed.

The tank base across the highway still stands, though.

Over-n-out.

Re: Ride the C&S over Boreas Pass - part 2 video-Windy Point to Boreas Summit

Chris Walker
Well Thank's Keith,
I appreciate the efforts since I am no longer fit to go get that research myself   however...

>>No sign of footings were observed.

Your photos were taken at Webster not Hoosier.

The area needed is call Lininger Lake Road.