Reviving Old Decals

Keith Hayes
What are the tips here?

I have a large stash of Foothills decals that fall apart when I wet them and try to apply them. Many of the decals are 10-20 years old now. Doesn't matter if I use water or Micro Set. I hate to trash the lot.

I got some Microscale Decal film stuff and tried spraying this on some with no different results. Am I supposed to brush this on?

What about a layer of Dullcote or Glosscote,

Any ideas are welcome.

Re: Reviving Old Decals

Jim Courtney
Try spraying on a thin coat of Testors "Gloss-cote", right out of the rattle can or use your air brush. I've resurrected some older Thinfilm decals this way. YMMV though . . .

Re: Reviving Old Decals

Pat Student
Kieth

Use Microscale "Liquid Decal Film".  It is designed for for rejuvenating old decals. I brush it on and while this looks like I've ruined the decal, I dries dead flat.  I've ben using this for years and it hasn't failed me yet.

While on the subject of decals, let me describe my technique for what its worth.

First a trick i learned from Jimmy Booth. First spray the model with Testors Glosscote, apply the decals, then spray another application of Glosscote. (This hides any trace of the decal.) When applying the decal, I apply it to a very small drop of distilled water, less than a 1/16", to provide lubrication to position the decal.  Once in place, I blot the excess water with a Q-tip.

I only use distilled water as when it evopates it doesn't leave a residue. Ask me how I know.   Also, distilled water softens the decal so it more readily adopts to the 3-dimensionality of the model.

Lastly, I don't use any decal solvents that contain acetic acid, vinegar.  It can attack any of the metals we use in modeling anad leave a nice powdery residue and cause the paint to blister.  Agains ask me how I know.

Pat

Re: Reviving Old Decals

Keith Hayes
Thanks Pat. The Microscale product is the ticket.  Brush it on and wait 15-30 minutes.  Mischief managed!