Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim Courtney
I can post a picture of mine if anyone is interested.

Yes, please do!

But I won't be bidding on this beauty. Remember, I already have a factory painted number 6, now partially painted. But with the misplaced cylinder re-soldered to the saddle/chest, it does run well. My number 6 is getting a pilot plow and some other back dating to 1924. One little OMI factoid is that when C&S 60 was imported, Overland imported quite a few butterfly plow assemblies as well. I picked up a few back in the late 1980s, to winterize my roster if needed.

Eventually, my number 6 will look these mid 1920s portraits from the Klingers' last book:

Taking coal at Dickey

Crossing Boreas with friends.

In addition to fabricating an "intermediate tender", I'm going to have to cobble together a "thingamobob" for the signal line (see http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/1920-s-Thingamobob-on-Cooke-2-6-0-Tenders-td13456.html

Re: C&S Brass, Any Scale, Listed on eBay

Jim, OMI produced two different snowplows for the C&S engines in On3. I had gone up to Idaho Springs to measure and photograph #60's plow and sent the information tp OMI's draftsman, Arendt Gerrittson. About a week later, he called me to ask if I was sure on the measurements. He said that the plow on #60, which had a height of 42", didn't look right on #71. It was too tall. After a fair amount of time digging through as many photographs as we could scrounge up and with Todd Hackett's eagle eyes, we concluded that the plows on the larger 2-8-0's were actually 36" tall, to allow for clearance of the smokebox front to swing open over the plow. The 2-8-0's with their larger, low slung boilers required this. The Moguls, however, had 42" high plows. And so does #60. The plow OMI provided for the Moguls has patches over and forward of the pilot beam as #9 has. So check your plows, and see which version you have. Maybe you have both.