Pump house at Jefferson?

Jeff Young
I just noticed on some pictures of the water tank at Jefferson that there's a building right behind it.  Since the tank is a bit out of town, I assume the function of the building is related to the tank.  I remember from the ICC maps that the tank is fed via a 3" iron pipe from Jefferson creek; might this also include a pump house, or were those generally just used for wells?

Or maybe it's a section house or something else?

Sadly I'm away from home right now so can't check my ICC maps.

Anyone know more about it?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Chris Walker
Two-story Sectionhouse per Mac Poor, D.S.P.&P.   No mention of any pumphouse either.

from Denver South Park & Pacific M.C.Poor Rocky Mt Railroad Club. pg168

 Dig the number of Bents holding up the Tank.

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Robert Stears
A transverse question about the Jefferson Depot with apologies to Jeff and the group.

Does anyone in this group have evidence of the extent of the Jefferson Depot passenger platform? Did the passenger platform wrap around the sides of the depot or was it just on the track side (east side)?

Growing up in Colorado during the 1960's the Jefferson Depot was a faded yellow color with a faded "boxcar" red trim.

I have a great shot of the Jefferson Depot in C&S red/green trim c. 1920. Has any come across information that the Depot was ever painted the C&S light gray/green trim?

Respectfully Submitted,
Robert Stears

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2015, at 6:11 PM, Jeff Young [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just noticed on some pictures of the water tank at Jefferson that there's a building right behind it.  Since the tank is a bit out of town, I assume the function of the building is related to the tank.  I remember from the ICC maps that the tank is fed via a 3" iron pipe from Jefferson creek; might this also include a pump house, or were those generally just used for wells?

Or maybe it's a section house or something else?

Sadly I'm away from home right now so can't check my ICC maps.

Anyone know more about it?

Thanks,
Jeff.

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Pump-house-at-Jefferson-tp2792.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Jeff Young
Ahhhh, I have a copy of that photo from the Dorman collection so I didn’t think to look for it in Mac Poor.  Thanks, Chris!

A section house is a great answer for me.  I don’t have room for the building next to the tank, but leaving it out would have been a bit odd if it were the pump house (or something else more directly related to the tank).

Robert, the only colour pictures I’ve seen of the depot are modern (blue with white trim).

The B&W pictures from the 30's and 40's show it in fairly high contrast, which I think would suggest grey/green.  But grey/green predated the CB&Q colours, so if it was really red/green in the 20's then it doesn't seem likely it would have gone back to grey/green.

The faded yellow/red is interesting.  I don't think the C&S used those colours much (the Forks Creek water tank being at least one exception).

In any case, I'd love to see the picture from the 20's.  Can you share it?

The platform appears to have gone around 3 sides:

"Railroad Depot - Jefferson, Colorado, early 1900s" by Unknown - Barbara Riehemann - Park County Local History Archives.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/10006/rec/3

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Jeff Young
Of course this also begs the question: what colour is the water tank?

Given the high contrast between it and the calcium deposits in the picture Chris posted, I'm going to guess boxcar red.

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Doug Heitkamp
Jeff and Group,

The 1918 Valuation does list the pump house. It's listed as 16' x 24' 9" x 8' 3" high. Inside was a Knowles #5 steam pump powered by a ……(are you ready for this?)………horizontal locomotive boiler marked "Mason" with fittings and was mounted on concrete piers. I'll have to dig, but this was not the only pump house with a Mason boiler.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Robert,

There is also a photo in the Klingers' Platte Canon Memories . . . , page 202, dated c1915 that shows the depot a light color with darker trim, likely light grey and green. The photo also shows the east (mainline) platform to be cinder, the south (to Como) side with a wooden platform.

Jim

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Doug Heitkamp
…..and a picture of Jefferson Depot in Red and Green.

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Hmmm... the Otto Kuhler watercolour "South Part Ground Blizzard" shows both the depot and tank in faded yellow/boxcar red.  The locomotive has a beartrap on it, so we're what, 20's or 30's?

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Jeff Young
Great pictures, Doug.  Thanks for posting those.

Do the ICC maps show the pump house as being right next to the tank, or somewhere else?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Jeff Young wrote
A section house is a great answer for me.  I don’t have room for the building next to the tank, but leaving it out would have been a bit odd if it were the pump house (or something else more directly related to the tank).
No problem, just park a train out front and no-one will notice the other buildings are missing

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42524/rv/singleitem/rec/1

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

"artistic licence" I'm leaning to think, given the tall, conical roofed narrow width tank and also the red-ish plow.   Hmmm!

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Doug Heitkamp
Jeff,

The field notes place it next to the tank. I forgot to mention that the pump house also had an enclosed lean-to attached, approx 9' x 10' x 9' high and 8' at the eaves. It also had a 2' x 2', 2 fixed pane window.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Yeah, there’s clearly some artistic license going on there (no air tanks on top of the boiler either).  But hey, at least it’s a butterfly plow. ;)

The picture you posted of the train hiding the building certainly suggests a red (and not yellow or buff) water tank….

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Pump-house-at-Jefferson-tp2792p2803.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

In the files section there is a B&B inventory in Rick Steele's Trout Creek Valuation maps that indicates that there was a "locomotive boiler" powering the pump at Platte River Tank.I have made mention in "Soldiering on" and other places about the Weskan boiler(a Mason),the Mason looking boiler on the ground in Como in the early 1900s,and the DSP&P loco roster in the files section of the DSP-P Yahoo Group indicating  that some "scrapped" engines may have contributed their boilers for stationary use.I believe that several if not all of the "scrapped" or "unknown " Masons and maybe D&Bs  had their boilers reused.The D&RGW roster book published by CRM makes mention of some early D&RG engine boilers being used in local buildings-and there's supposed to still be one in Chama.

Re: Pump house at Jefferson?

Robert Stears
Thanks very much!

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

from Park County Archives

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

Jeff Young
Thanks for posting that panorama, Chris.  I had seen it before, but hadn't noticed that it showed a different side of the pumphouse than is visible in other pictures.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

Lady Railfan?

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

Just think,there's a Mason Bogie hiding in that pumphouse!
123