Pump house at Jefferson?

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

Robert McFarland
Isn't at least the front of the Como Depot sheathed with T&G?

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

ComoDepot
The original bldge is T&G only the north end extension is Lap.

Bob came by last night, he also had never seen mention of wells, but thought they would have needed to pump a lot of water.

Now I am intrigued as to where it came from.

Re: Sectionhouse at Jefferson?

Don Pacetti
Jeff Ramsey wrote
Hello Don. I hate to say that the ICC image you posted might not be the spring house but rather account 17, structure #8; Tool House with dimensions of 10'3" X 20'3" with eaves at 7'3" unlike 5'3" as the spring house is listed. Notice the spring house has no windows but in the image posted a small window is present matching with the ICC dimensions of 2' X 2'.  I still wonder where that spring house was?
I totally agree Jeff! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have to build the tool house for my layout, so now I'm sure of what I am looking at. Any idea what the structure(s) are in the left background of that ICC Picture?

Jefferson pump house drawing draft

Jeff Young
First draft of my take on the Jefferson pump house, based on the ICC notes Doug kindly posted:

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

Jeff Young
Oops, already found one mistake: the ICC notes say 1x6 door frame, not door trim.  The trim is much more likely 1x4.

I'll wait a bit to see if anything else pops up before uploading a new drawing.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

ComoDepot
The only things that strikes me as unusual is the window to the left of the door, looks too ornate.

It does seem that way, but the ICC notes say “2-10 x 5-0 12 lts. D.H.”, which I take to be a 2’10” x 5’0” 12-light double-hung sash.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

ComoDepot
I would go with that unless you have anything clear to the contrary.

As an aside the ICC notes are not totally accurate, I have seen errors on them.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

Jeff Young
What about ashes/cinders?  Did pump houses generate enough that they'd dump them near the tracks to be loaded into a coal car from time to time, or would they just dump them out behind the pump house in an ever-growing pile?

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

ComoDepot
Lots of places burnt coal, my guess is that they just dumped them in any local hole/depression.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

Didn't another post mention that at one time they were using an old Mason Bogie boiler to power the pump?

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing draft

Jeff Young

> Didn't another post mention that at one time they were using an old Mason Bogie boiler to power the pump?

Yep; the ICC notes mention it.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Jefferson pump house drawing V2