Pipes on Flats

Re: Pipes on Flats

Doug Heitkamp
The rear of the picture...

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pipes on Flats

Doug Heitkamp
Chris,

Nice picture of the sign. Looks like the sign painter was either rushed to get it finished or or turned it over to his apprentice, Look at the drop shadow lettering in the last "s" in Springs.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pipes on Flats

Chris Walker
Some more thoughts further on this,

there were three major Tunnel projects that could have been the recipients of those loads of Pipe for Ventilation purpose.  The Big5 Tunnel and the Newhouse Tunnel at opposing ends of Idaho Springs and the Lucania Tunnel up on the Fall River.  The Flatcars may just have been stored there for some time prior to unloading perhaps?  If these were indeed bound for the Lucania Tunnel I think that unloading in I.S. would make more sense given the teamsters originate from there.   The Newhouse and Big5 had their own sidings, and also I haven't (yet)seen a close-up photo of the Big5 vent pipe entering the tunnel, there was a large half-round recess in the top of each Door visible in the post-closure view I have seen.

Photo copyright and courtesy of Colorado School of Mines.

From the Idaho Springs Historical Society Coll.

Re: Pipes on Flats

Doug Heitkamp
Group,

Received this picture from Keith Pashina and thought I'd add it to this topic…..

Picture is from the Google Books copy of the 1903 Mining Reporter

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Pipes on Flats

ComoDepot
Pipes like that were also used for drainage, dug some up when working on the Como grade.

Re: Pipes on (and off) Flats

This is an enlargement of the photo that I posted on Jeff's "Silica" thread.

The photo is dated as April 22, 1911 by John Maxwell:

Flat car 1056 at right has been unloaded, flat car 1074 to the left still has a full load of pipe for the Denver water works. Two year old SUF boxcar 8288 is sandwiched in between.

Maxwell notes the location as "Canon Spur".

Re: Pipes on Flats

My suggestion(speculation) earlier in this Thread about the loads being Vent pipe has proved wrong!!
  Ongoing research has unearthed that the Lucania Tunnel used 19" pipe and the Rockford Tunnel 14" pipe.

Quite possibly the definite answer to this comes from this article....

However there was also this mention of the United Gold Mining, Milling and Tunnel Co. project on Fall River, a Water Right dispute at the time period.

And Georgetown received this shipment(although I have doubts some cars would have been set out on the I.S. Reduction Mill siding).

To help dating of the photo(s).