Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Todd Hackett
I had this photo in a pile with Colorado Central and C&S Clear Creek photos, but it doesn't look like that area. My initial guess is above Webster (near Dakes maybe). Does anyone have a better idea?

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

South Park
Two wires on the telegraph means the Highline.  The terrain says Nigger Hill
to me.  Looks to be heading downgrade as it rounded out from behind the hill.
Perhaps upgrade, also emerging from behind the hill ?

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Chris Walker
Damned arty photographers eh!

South Park's suggestion has merit with the background and the Dump visible consistent with that area but.. all the pictures I reviewed in the contortion of trackage show no Telegraph lines, I assume the line dropped straight off the Windy Point area and on down the tangent to Gold Pan.   Only other location that comes to mind is the climb up into Frisco, but there isn't enough ridge visible to corroborate that possibility, at least in my mind anyway.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

South Park
  There are photos on the face of the hill, directly above the Goldpan property,
where the telegraph line is seen below grade, showing it followed the track the
entire distance and did not cut directly down the hill.
  There was a reason for this .... should an accident occur, train stall, whatever,
telegraph communication was right there nearby.  Conductors were trained in
Morse and the trains carried a set of "taps" to hook onto the overhead wires and
operate a telegraph key to send a message.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Chris Walker
No disputing your reason SthP'k but...
No Telegraph around the Hookeye curve nor in any Gold Pan Trestle views early or late.  Telegraph line visible on the tangent past Gold Pan Shops and visible at Rocky Point.
And then there is this shot taken on Nigger Hill.  Line goes down the hill.
So if Todd's photo was taken on Nigger Hill, then it would have to be upgrade of the Telegraph Line dropping off.  Was that what you were meaning?

Z-1848 DPL https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/68426

No Telegraph around the GTL, line went straight up through the middle.
No telegraph across the Palisades and down around Sherod, cut directly down off Tunnel Gulch to Woodstock.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Dakes is mainly Aspen now, I have tried to locate photos that way and have gone hunting in the area, very difficult as the trees have changed aspects so much. Dakes I think is about 10,000ft, maybe back then it was mostly Pine? So the only thing you have to go by is the hills in the background and they do not look like Kenosha.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

How about heading east out of Breckenridge near Little Mountain? Based on the shadows, south (or east) is to the right. Looks like the north end of Boreas Mountain above the locomotive. It is more probably someone would be near a town (Breck) to grab an artsy shot than elsewhere in the boonies.

All of Jim's talk about modelling Breck has me interested. I was going to create a town below Leadville that had the Rico plan...but Breck is appealing to me and I can model the aborted coal trestle. I can also model the spur down near the Swan River and maybe the construction of a dredge, though my late 30's timeframe is rather late for dredge construction. It would be a good traffic source, though! And under the Arkansas Valley Smelter, I can model the Gold Pan Shops, another healthy traffic source!

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Jim Courtney
Model dredge deconstruction, instead. One dredge was dismantled in the late 1920's or early 1930's, moved to the Fairplay area and re-assembled.

Lots of carloads shipping out machinery, buckets and the like.

Alternatively, the next major station down the Tenmile from Leadville is Dickey. You could model a complete helper station with un-aborted coaling station: Two tracks, no waiting!

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

John Greenly
Hey Jim,

please don't talk Keith out of doing a model of the aborted coaling station,  I would love to see it.  With his skills it would make a spectacular scene!

John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Looks like Keith is right on the money here... along the (Gold Pan) tangent leaving Breckenridge.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

South Park
Nice detective work.  I have seen exactly zero photos taken along the lower
Gold Pan tangent.  Velly intellesting !

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Jeff Young
Ahhh… but headed up-grade.  That’s why I couldn’t make the background work….

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Todd Hackett
Based on Chris' streetview location and direction, would the locomotive be in the red ellipse (heading down grade), with the photographer standing in the blue ellipse, pointing in the direction of the blue arrow?

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

There was an article about Dakes with photos in the Bogies and Loop some time ago.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

I have seen exactly zero photos taken along the lower Gold Pan tangent.

Well, SP, here's one:

In Schoppe and Mather, Images of Rail: Summit County's Narrow-Gauge Railroads, page 45.

This appears to be the curve just upgrade from the Gold Pan Shops, the tangent to Little Mountain beginning just past the two barns.

This distant mountain ridge matches the ridge line in Chris's street view. I suspect Todd's photo was taken just upgrade from this location.

Per Schoppe and Mather's book, the women are standing near today's High Line Railway Park and playground.

And Todd, I think the location of your photo, on the map you posted, was near the marker labeled "Isak Heartstone", looking to the southeast.

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

South Park
  Thanks to both youze guys for showing me pix of the SP that I have never
seen before.  Extra points for a location that is rarely seen.

  Now, for extra credit, who has pix of the old mainline between Garos and
Trout Creek pass ?  🎉

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Hi Todd,

No, your red ellipse is on a quite steep side-slope. That spot is just upgrade from the Illinois Gulch (Dry Gulch according to Google Maps) trestle.

I think #6 is going up-grade from just to the left of your blue ellipse.

Cheers,
Jeff.

FWIW, Todd’s red ellipse -does- mark the spot where I collect all my scree. ;)

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

There is a picture of C&S 38 derailed in a snow bank on p368 of the original Pictorial (in the locomotives chapter),Caption says Platte River but the hill in the background looks more like Weston.There is another picture in MB #2 that  shows what I think was taken close to that site but I no longer have MB 2 so I couldn't tell what page it is.In the end of the line chapter of the Pictorial there are two photos of Dooling Bros.#3 taken south of Garos during scrapping operations(p233)

Re: Need help with location of C&S #6 photo

Robert McFarland
Thats 433 on Dooling Bros. photos of scrapping south of Garos.