NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Robert McFarland
NGDF recently claimed there to be a fire starting  about "15 miles S. of Fairplay" which sounds like Garo,Hartsel,Antero,etc.Any news of the location and what's going on?

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Robert McFarland
Your post was the first I even heard about the situation .I misunderstood the NGDF post-thinking they were talking about grassland near the DSP&P grades in the SW part of South Park.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker
Curiouser and Curiouser, Robert, since I made no such post about any Weston or South Park fire.
However I did read those NGDFposts and did light my pot-belly stove this cold, frosty Sunday morning.  Perhaps you are channeling me? :)

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

South Park
  Couple questions here:

1.  Do they have 4th of July in England ?

2.  If "Buenos Aires" were spelled with two "r's", where would the second one go ?

3.  You are floating down any river in your wire canoe and the wheel falls off.  How
     long would it take a one legged grasshopper to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle ?

  <>  I like Tacos

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Robert McFarland
Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedposst over night?

The NGDF post I was reading was mainly about a fire in the La Veta Pass area. There was a vague reference to the other fire which turned out to be in the Weston Pass area,not down in the park.Since I live in Wichita,Kansas we don't have access to some of the news footage.Chris' post helped out a lot.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Then tell me why Buena Vista is pronounced "Bew-nuh Viss-tuh" and not "Boo-wane-ah Vees-tuh"

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Depends on what part of Colorado (not, you may note, Colo-rah-do) you come from, how you bastardize Spanish lingo. It's a time honored tradition. For instance, growing up in Boulder, It was Bwena Vista. And Pueblo was Pweblo, not, as people who lived there call it Pee-eblow. It goes on and on and on.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

It is to the west of US285, something over 6,000 acres. Wind blew in this direction this morning and very obvious.

We were only able to run Saturday and that was due to the presence of a Fire Dept Tender.

South of the Leavick branch.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Ken Martin
Is there a map from Colorado state fire department(name?) that shows the fires in Colorado and where they are at?

Ken Martin

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker
Ken,
zoom in, click on the fire of your choice.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Is there any of the fire that has gone on the east side of 285?Anywhere near the grades?

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker
apparently not yet.... https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5876/

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

All more reason to mount a Ridgeway Spark Arrester on Kate

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker
The DSP&P didn't have Ridgway spark arrestors nor 2-6-2's either....

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Todd Hackett
You could sure see the smoke billowing from the fire from Mt. Evans yesterday. The skies were clear and blue looking the other way, but very hazy over South Park.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker wrote
The DSP&P didn't have Ridgway spark arrestors nor 2-6-2's either....

One of these. We have someone who can do this (not me)

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

We also have someones who could produce these in 3D. Which would be very cool for other someones in all scales.

The DSP&P did have a stack in later years that resembled what Chris posted, but the true McConnell design came a bit later, 1890's, as I recall.

I have a real McConnell UP drawing for actual scale results if interested.....

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

ComoDepot
I am not sure where they got the design from but am happy to pass it on, just in case they have not seen it.

I know in 1 to 1 scale those things are heavy.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

John Greenly
Absolutely beautiful engine, Mike!!!

John