NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Re: McConnell Stack

Here are a couple of drawings that provided information I needed to make sure I conformed to specs. The upper part was an earlier version of a resin casting of the whole stack. (possibly Leadville Shops?) I felt the lower part, the stack, was too crude, so I cut it off and used a cut off banded straight stack from PSC to replace it. The upper part, the diamond, was pretty much spot on. I used a button covered with a piece of nylon hose for the deflector. (She never missed it) The finished result looks to be just right.

I can't seem to find the actual UP drawing I had, but the dimensions are accurate on the one I have included.

Re: McConnell Stack

ComoDepot
Thanks, I see the screen but assume it would need a lot of cleaning out.

Re: McConnell Stack

Early stacks on locomotives were designed to capture either hot cinders (coal) or burning embers (wood). So, cleaning them out went with the territory.

In the case of Klondike Kate, it would probably be a prop only, and/or supplemented by a screen at the top.

A McConnell or diamond stack would lead to a large box headlight for her as well. And once the fuel bunker on the tender is fabricated, that engine will really start to look the part.

I still cant imagine we are even having this discussion, never having thought any of this could be possible.

Re: McConnell Stack

Jerry Huck
I assure you the McConnell stack is not a prop we need it for spark suppression. The plan for the stack is to include additional screens and a misting ring . We don't need Kate starting fires. Btw we have a really nice box headlight thanks to Phil Carney.

Jerry

Re: McConnell Stack

Thanks, Jerry. Great to have you chime in on this. And, great to have you along with us.

Jack Thode told me one time that in spite of all the howling from the railfan community over the use of the fake diamond stacks on the K-28's, with the cinder catcher on top, those things captured a lot of cinders. Which surprised everyone.

Thanks to you and everyone up there for all you are doing. And, best of luck. Hope to see you soon.

Re: McConnell Stack

The UP plans for the McConnell ("Pancake") stack were posted by Derrell Poole (drawings provided by Rick Steele), back in this memorable thread:

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-amp-S-75-td151i40.html

Re: McConnell Stack

Jerry Huck
Yes those are the plans we are using.  Thanks

Jerry

McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

Jim's UP drawing is interesting. When I copied it to my computer, he had titled it "Pancake Stack". What's interesting about it is that I think that's exactly what the drawing is, but the dimensions seem to have been changed to an actual McConnell stack, as appears on one of the drawings I posted yesterday. The profiles are completely different, and if you were to set out to make one for Klondyke Kate, this is what you'd get, and it doesn't really look like the drawing:

This is C&S #7, as DL&G #112 with a true McConnell stack in the 1880's.

If one were to be made for Kate, I'd suggest using a larger diameter sleeve which might fit over the real stack, and then make the diamond somewhat proportional in shape to the drawings. What you'll end up with can positively be called a South Park Pancake Stack, but it really isn't a McConnell. A lot of people think they are the same thing, and they do look similar, but they aren't. The Pancake stacks actually did appear in DSP&P days, as a variation of the Diamond stack. I learned the difference back in 2011 when I built my #7:

Re: McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

Robert McFarland
I love the Mc Connell stack,but putting one on Kate would be like putting a fake diamond stack on a K28 for a movie-besides it probably wouldn't be  near as effective as a Ridgway.If you want C&S #7 pre rebuild do like the RGS people and build one(then follow it up with a Nesmith stacked Mason Bogie).

Re: McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

Jerry Huck
Robert. The consensus from those who profess to know is the planned stack will be more effective at controlling embers than a "Ridgeway" would be. my personal experience with Sumpter Valleys wood burning Heisler tend to back up what the experts are saying.
Thanks for your recommendations

Jerry

Re: McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

I am biased, this matches much better with the Depot.

I have driven past No 9 quite a few times recently and for whatever reasons just do not think a Ridgeway would look right.

Technically, do not know so will leave it to those who do.

Re: McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

Fritz 52
I am hoping that Kate is running this time next year. With or without a 'diamond', McConnell or Ridgway.
Mike your loco is,phenomenal. I love the stack. My #21 And #22 are becom8ng candidates for a backdate job.
FRED COTTERELL

Re: McConnell Stack vs Pancake Stack

Robert McFarland
I second the motion!!

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

What about some heavy power like Rhode Island.1890 Baldwin,or 1896 Baldwin with short smokeboxes and McConnell stacks.Like the doubleheader photographed near Parlin.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Durango Depot?

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Robert McFarland
Today's update on the fire situation seems to indicate that things are getting better and almost under control.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Good news. Are you referring to a pic of #7 in front of my Durango Depot? It could be said #7 was rebuilt and tested in Durango in 2011.

My Dickey ll project didn't get underway until 2013, when I returned to serious C&S modeling.

Dickey l was started as part of my layout in Boulder in the early 80's.

So there were about 25 yrs of D&RGW modeling in between. I still have most of it.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Trying to find an update on the Weston Pass fire I find that I can no longer  get on the site.

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Chris Walker
you chose the wrong post to reply to Robert, you should try the link in this other post http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/NGDF-Fairplay-Fire-Warning-tp11966p11989.html

Re: NGDF Fairplay Fire Warning

Robert McFarland wrote
Trying to find an update on the Weston Pass fire I find that I can no longer  get on the site.
I am no longer getting daily updates, I have a friend who lives that way, seems under control and they have scaled back. We had some rain on Sunday which no doubt helped.
123