Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Jeff Ramsey
This post was updated on .
Last month I attended Mile High Auctions auction at the Snapp residents in Como. I couldn't help to bid on what was referred to as "blacksmithing metal". Turns out that these are old water tank tub hoops from a mystery C&S tank, 14 in all. I suspect it takes two bands to go around a 24' tub. As for the provenance of post 1939 I was told that these were purchased from the Colorado Highway Dept. as they had used these as guardrail and there is evidenced of that "type" on green paint on them over the typical mineral red. Unfortunately the former owner passed away a few days ago and I feel I will never know the truth from his knowledge. I think the "lower Como tank might have been this type. I am so curious where these came from and what to do with them other than use as a glorified lawns edging?

Notice the bands are numbered in Roman.

These bands match what was on the Selkirk Tank if I can use Don Pacettie's image. Notice the top band near the roof.

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Chris Walker
Lucky find Jeff, are there enough to recreate a 47,000 gallon hot tub for your deck?

The Roman numerals were the standard of old for assembly requirement in the days before the Number/Letter Punch sets came along.  All the Railway carpenters used them here even in the late 80's, the beauty of this system was that a single Wood Chisel or Cold Chisel would be used to stamp out the required numeral with vertical, horizontal and diagonal strokes.

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Build your own replica water tank,or donate them to the DSP&PHS,or both.

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Jeff Ramsey
Only about a half to do a 47,000 gals tank. Either 1/3 from the bottom on 2/3 from the top depending on your outlook. IF only I could get the foundation from Como, the base from Webster,  the valve from Garos and somewhere else for the spout... Happen to know a good guy with a water right.

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Jeff Young
Great find!

1/3-height is probably perfect for a hot tub. ;)

Cheers,
(the other) Jeff

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

There is a spout that was located near the old gas station on the Chalk Creek grade near Alpine(Fisher).Todd Hackett and BobSchoppe would know where it is and who owns it.Got to see it at 2002 DSP&PHS-were you there that year?

Re: Modeling the C&S in 1:1

Jeff Ramsey
Yes Robert I did see it that year. Thanks for the reminder.