Mendota Mine - Before and After

Todd Hackett
I came across this photo on DPL while looking for something completely unrelated. I don't recall seeing it before. It was easy to get a reasonable before and after using a Google Streetview. The original was taken from somewhere between the interstate and Water Street, but the I-70 perspective seems to be a bit closer.

What's even better than the image are all the margin notes:

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Thank you Todd; a great now and then for sure.

The DPL MCC-389 view by McClure has a great context perspective.

Some lounging UPD&G excursionists perhaps?

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Rich Rands
A topic I can contribute to. At 18 my family and I headed to Keystone to ski. Dad stopped in Silver Plume for us to explore the Mendota. I took a number of slides. The next summer we passed through Silver Plume again. The building were gone and replaced with a metal shed. Built a version of the Mendota on my On30 layout.Mendota 3-78Mendota 3-78 (2)

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Rich Rands
Mendota on the Mineral & Southfork Ry.

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Jeff Young
Nice modelling, Rich!

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Todd A Ferguson
 Dry nice modeling Rich!

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Beautiful scene, Rich!

I really like your tailings and waste rock, and the chute emptying into the aisle!

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Please show us some more!

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Rich Rands
The mine or the model? Or both? :-)
My imaginery ore bin at the Mendota.

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Dave Eggleston
Rich, that is a really impressive model. In addition to hauling out ore or concentrate, do you bring in coal?
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Rich Rands
It's brought in by wagon. :-)

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Dave Eggleston
Rich Rands wrote
It's brought in by wagon. :-)
Dang wagon competition! Your mine looks to be a very well-paying operation, it needs to take back the coal traffic (good Baldwin coal shipped on the South Park) with something like this coal conveyor tucked on the hillside between those bins and the powerhouse:

Poland Mining Company's mill and powerhouse, Poland, Arizona, circa 1902. Image m141p from Sharlot Hall Collection in Prescott, AZ.
Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Mendota Mine - Before and After

Keith Hayes
Thanks, Dave.

A lot of modelers probably think mines are a source for empties for loading ore.

In fact they got mine props, machinery, drill steel, and if steam powered, lots and lots of coal. The Penrose will be electrically powered, so I am looking for a good prototype of a two-pole transformer set-up with two or three transformers.

A while back there was an excellent clinic at a NG Convention on mines talking about all the buildings at a mine. Usually we focus on the headframe/ elevator operation and the ore bin. But there will be a changing room, a steel room--for sharpening drills, a compressor room, water and some piping. All good stuff to model!