Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

nickgully
Intermodal operations

I assume this is on the south hillside above Georgetown?

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

Robert McFarland
Was this one of Ivy Baldwin's balloons?

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

H H  Buckwalter picture taken October 1901 at the Guanella Pass road, switchback of which can be seen in background, the balloon crashed.  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3510/rv/singleitem/rec/7

C&S had sponsored this for publicity purposes.  Incidentally the Balloon cost $247 and chemicals to make the gas $200 of which can be seen in the drums right of picture with improvised mixing tank.  Repairs to Buckwalters camera $10 and trousers, .45c

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3646/rv/singleitem/rec/4

Can you find the C&S Boxcar in the above photo?

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

South Park
   I think I just figured out how "they" moved that old D&RG building
from Denver to become the depot at Como !  Nice detective work, Chris !

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

Check out DPL Photos CHS.X4795 and CHS.X4796-photos of a balloon launch at Idaho Springs July 4,1890 including a Colorado Central support train in the background.Use DPL subject BALLOONS for more good stuff.You'll find out about Ivy Baldwin-he was a legendary balloonist,highwire walker'and I think he also did parachute jumps from a balloon.Serving in the Spanish-American War he became the first US airman to get shot down.

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

Chris Walker
Come on Robert, find that Boxcar

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

John Greenly
I gave up the first time, but this time I found it!! Only about 6 feet or so of one end of the car can be seen….

good one!
John

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Intermodal transport in Georgetown, 1894

Found it. Now if you type in subject BALLOONS and look through all the pages you'll find something better looking than a boxcar.

Re: Inter-modal transport in Idaho Springs, July 4, 1890

Jim Courtney
I think Robert is referring to this fourth of July photo:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll21/id/10440/rec/7

And when enlarged:

Re: Inter-modal transport in Idaho Springs, July 4, 1890

South Park
  I can't make out I-70 in any of these photos.  Are we sure this is
Georgetown/Idaho Springs ?

Re: Inter-modal transport in Idaho Springs, July 4, 1890

Don Gustavson II
Looks like a little "flume" just above and to the right of the balloon. Perhaps in place to get water to the filed when people are not ballooning. Could be a nice little detail to have on a layout.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Idaho Springs, after July 4, 1890

Chris Walker
Don Gustavson II wrote
Looks like a little "flume" just above and to the right of the balloon. Perhaps in place to get water to the filed when people are not ballooning. Could be a nice little detail to have on a layout.

Yes Don,
 it is easy to forget that there was a rural town aspect to Idaho Springs before the Milling industry came to town.
X-2243

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3283/rv/singleitem

The ditch appears to run to the small barn upper right, I don't see any continuation but there is a corral further in town adjacent the switch to the Idaho Concentrating & Sampling Works.
X-2262

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3315/rv/singleitem/rec/135

However this arrangement from the 1860's won't last long as the "Balloon Field" area will be the site of the Chamberlain-Dillingham Sampler opened also in 1890 and houses within a year or two.
X-2278

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3381/rv/singleitem/rec/1

More Idaho Springs Enlightenment, what a more fitting place to be my 1000th Post