Freight car ratios

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
Roof Hatch Boxes Alma
There are 4 Boxcars with roof hatches in this 1935 Alma view

Of course you can't hear me chuckling over this...

The information appears two places in Vol. VIII page 11 and page 211. Again as mentioned above Stan Schewdlers pointed out a photo (page 41 Vol. VIII) and asked what I knew about the hatches. Well that started the search and eventually I found 8 numbers. Where? In piles and piles of photographs. I don't know if these 8 were all of them and I never found any description of their use. This has been a matter of deduction such as we've touched on.

Box 8281 at Blackhawk late 1930s
Late 30's view of Blackhawk with Boxcar 8281 with roof hatches plus 8283 without. R. Kindig

Harry's article was written after I shared what I knew with him. When I operated that obscure little one-horse parts business "the C&S Connection" I made white metal castings of these in O scale. They had one large hinge on them.
If you check out pages 183 and 184 of Rail Annual 12 you will find where I got the details of the text you quoted (and note that I credit my sources including Stan and Rail Annual 12 on page 18). On page 211 are the charts I developed for quick reference to understanding (more or less) C&S Freight Rolling Stock.
Your quote of the text and chart caught me off guard when you said it was Rail Annual 12 because I didn't recall reading anything about the cars in any publication - had it been so long I'd forgotten? Ya sent me into a frenzied index trekking episode!
Also on page 184 is a brief description of drop end coal cars numbered 4600 - 4614 built from other coal types. That is a nugget I've intended to chase down for years - and frankly forgot about as well.

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
Uhhhhh... whadaya sayin', Rick; that I talk too much?

BTW I'm sure I've quoted Rick Steele to Rick too. That is kinda funny. It's happened to me before too - not always so funny, though, when it's an author in a publication - like it was their invention ...

Re: Freight car ratios

Interesting stuff, guys. I really hadn't had time to spend much time with this until this afternoon.

Keith, my thought on #1008 is that it was still in Leadville but not active on the roster. The photo you refer to may be the one I've seen which shows both #1008 and #1009 stripped of all steel and iron, salvaged for the War Effort.

Re: Freight car ratios

Mr. Poole, do your eight numbers correspond with those John listed from the CRA? Just wondering. I had never given thought to modeling these 'covered hoppers,' but as they appear in Alma, it stands to reason that they circulated around the system and were not consigned to a specific service.

Interesting.

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
My list is unofficial - gathered from a search of photographs. Only official recognition of one car (8308 iirc) being repaired in prep for transfer to the RGS.

"8308 Hatch  Repair hatch lids. Repair running board.  8.00"   Globe - Denver, Colo. 25 April 1938.

John who and CRA what?

Re: Freight car ratios

Chris Walker
I well remember the sketch of these by Harry Brunk but it doesn't show in my Gazette list of Articles.   Here's one of a series taken by Otto Perry in '43.  Interesting how that he was able to ride and photograph this stuff during the war.  And that is a load of pipes up ahead, Keith {:))

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43139/rv/singleitem/rec/200

Re: Freight car ratios

Keith Hayes
Oh, man, and I thought I was loosing my mind, Chris!

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell:

John refers to Mr. John Schapekahm who also is known to lurk here, and the CRA abbreviates the Colorado Rail Annual (that is what it says on the binding), Volume 12 which Mr. Schapekahm cites as the source his covered hopper numbers. A quick glance through the book does not yield the page numbers, but did reveal that the book is worth another read. Plus there are lots of good Kindig and Jackson pics for reference, some not cropped as published elsewhere.

Re: Freight car ratios

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Freight car ratios

Keith Hayes
Oh, dear.

Well, I will stop straining my eyes in the CRA 12 for the reference and focus instead on the pics of the Leadville Roundhouse and doors.

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
The closest the CRA 12 gets to even mentioning Box-Hatch cars is in the vicinity of page 184. It fails to mention them as I recall. I'd read the book a couple of times by the time Stan Schwedler pointed me to the photo taken at Climax by Otto Perry (see above). That was the first I'd heard of them. As I've said before; the only mention in the records I've found was in the repair enumerations of 8308.

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
John - lroflmao!

We all have little crosses to bear - don't nuke the post! Nothing after will make sense. And I'll be even more confused....

Re: Freight car ratios

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Freight car ratios

Derrell Poole
Yeah, meeeee too; I make up everything...

ha!

Re: Freight car ratios

Rick Steele
Of course you do Derrell, that's why you're here.

For the same reason that I am.

Rick

Re: Add One More Roof Hatch #

Chris Walker
Here ya go Derrell,
one of the clearest examples I've seen yet, I must find the time to review Harry Brunk's articles for his illustrations of these.  Note the blocks for supporting the opened hatch.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42718/rv/singleitem/rec/155

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42616/rv/singleitem/rec/174

Re: Add One More Roof Hatch #

drgwcs
This post was updated on .
Thought I would bump this back up since the posts moved dropped this back down. (and people thought it was neat) I was pondering another thing that could be an explanation for some of the use of the roof hatch cars that I came across a while back. (especially ones going down the Clear Creek Line)  Some commodities needed dry shipment.  Has anyone seen any info of the shipments of Soda ash and Borax in milling/ Smelting? The Argo has a Soda Ash feeder. Soda Ash if it got wet was basically gone. Same thing for Borax. Both of these were often used in Smelting and in quantity. Just a thought. It would explain occasional appearances.

Well can't get that pic to cooperate- that soda ash feeder is going to have to work overtime to get it up there....

Jim Curran

Re: Add One More Roof Hatch #

Jim, the posts were just moved, not removed. Do you want this one moved too?

Re: Add One More Roof Hatch #

drgwcs
Mike Trent wrote
Jim, the posts were just moved, not removed. Do you want this one moved too?
Sorry Mike- I meant moved not removed- Got a call before 6:30 this morning and brain was not functioning all day. corrected.  I just wanted to bump this one back up as it dropped back to the date of the last post before moving as it was interesting to several. It could be in either thread- then again a couple of posts could be either- a couple of your replies on freight car ratios that got moved might be good here. I will leave it to your capable discretion (and the whims of forum software.)
Jim Curran
12