Diamonds in the Rough

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

Keith Hayes
Thanks, John!

I was going to speculate around Parlins, but Gunny is a good guess too.

Anything on the Blue River?

Re: Diamonds in the Rough: Tenmile / Blue River

Jim Courtney
While not a mainline crossing, the C&S spur off the house track at Dillon crossed the D&RG track to the town stock yard, at grade, the C&S using both tracks to spot cars:

And if the D&RG hadn't gone to court in 1884 to prevent it, the DSP&P would have crossed the D&RG at grade in the vicinity of Kokomo or Robinson.  Instead, the C&S ended up crossing the D&RG Blue River branch from above, on those two trestles.

Worked out nicely, though, two trestles beat a pair of diamonds any day!

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

Keith Hayes wrote
Anything on the Blue River?
I believe there was one in Robinson; the C&S had a spur to the smelter, which was technically D&RG trackage after it crossed the D&RG main (where there was also a slip connecting the D&RG mainline to the spur).

There were also two line crossings in Kokomo, but both are C&S trestles over the D&RG right-of-way.  From there the RoWs are on opposite sides of the river, at least down to Frisco.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Pictorial Supplement to Diamonds in the Rough

D&RG at Salida bisected itself with a couple of sidings over the years that were in turn dual-gauged, running through the original Mainline to Gunnison.

Centennial Photo Archive.

South of Denver as mentioned by John, and posted here by Jeff Ramsey...
 http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Pictorial-Supplement-to-Train-Time-in-Morrison-tp4094p4200.html

At Gunnison the DSP&P crossed the Crested Butte Branch at 90° where there were two sidings and maintrack.  The D&RG in Gunnison had a loop of track to serve the La Veta Hotel which was also bisected by the DSP&P.

The only photo I've ever seen showing the intersection at the C.B. branch, and at that(I'm not certain) if there is only grading in place before tracklaying.  The DSP&P Roundhouse is visible(completed?), surely the tracks from the East would be in place.

X-9321 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/7908/rv/singleitem/rec/161

In Silverton, the Silverton Northern crossed the SG&N at 60° on Cement Street,  I don't think that the D&RGW spur up 12th Street existed at the time of the SN.

MCC-1787   http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/4365/rv/singleitem/rec/2

I'm surprised Roper hasn't barked about this remnant of the C&S (DSP&P) narrow gauge....
 http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/help-to-identify-location.html

And who could not forget this one, possibly the only diamond crossing of a spur by a siding on the Narrow Gauge anywhere!
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Idaho-Springs-Mid-Town-Ore-Processing-Part-3-tp2512.html

Sanborn Map

Photo copyright and courtesy of Colorado School of Mines.

On the Very Narrow Gauge there were these examples,

On the Argentine Central at Vidler/Waldorf

MCC-693  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/78179/rv/singleitem/rec/38

Up at Silver Lake near Silverton.

Robert D. Stull Photo.

Which most likely is this crossing

X-62250 http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/14934/rv/singleitem/rec/257

And at the Alma-Lincoln...
 http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Stanley-Mills-Part-One-The-Lincoln-and-Alma-Lincoln-Mills-tp3389.html

CHS.X5489  http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/11493/rv/singleitem/rec/8

At Park City Utah.

USGS

And the best for last, the Diamond&Caldor in California.

Grandt Photo

North Pacific Coast crossing the SP.

Grandt Photo

C&S Crossing D&RG at Leadville.

Mac Poor Photo.

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Diamonds in the Rough

Robert McFarland
Notice that theDSP&P  Gunnison water tank hasn't been completed yet.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

Great pictures Chris; thanks for posting those….

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

jim pallow
   There was also a pair of dual gage diamonds in Denver on the double track main just at the south and just East of Rice yard where the belt crossed.   At one time the marks of the 3rd rail were still on the ties. JP

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

Jimmy Blouch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Diamonds in the Rough

Jimmy Blouch
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Deleting Post

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Leadville Map D&RG Malta to Leadville post CM Arrival.

Re: Deleting Post

Jimmy Blouch
Chris Walker wrote
Try this Jimmy for your deletion..

Chris

Thank you!
For some reason I could not seem to reach that option.

Jimmy