Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Chris, with his Dome Rock thread, got me looking at DSP&P period photos on DPL today. (After working a shift in the hospital, trying to build models can be dangerous; looking at DPL photos, not so much).

I've looked at this Wm. Jackson photo before, but never studied it, enlarged, cropped it and played with the image with photo tools:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/search/collection/p15330coll22/searchterm/Deansbury%20bridge/order/nosort

When enlarged and filtered to a black and white image, the Mason Bogie on the bridge appears to have two sand domes, a second sand dome just in front of the cab:

Is this one of the elusive big 2-8-6T Masons with Nesmith stack? Did any of the 2-6-6T Bogies have a second sand dome?

Mason builders photograph, October 1880. From Mal Ferrell's, The South Park Line, page 346.

Anyone know of any other images of the big Bogies in actual train service?

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

South Park
  Well, it looks like you hit gold !  The big Masons had the double sand domes.

  How I would love to speak with the people who drove these, worked on them.
etc.  What a wonderful monster !

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Robert Stears
Agree. Sure looks like double sand domes.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2016, at 9:47 PM, South Park [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

  Well, it looks like you hit gold !  The big Masons had the double sand domes.

  How I would love to speak with the people who drove these, worked on them.
etc.  What a wonderful monster !

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Big-Bogie-on-Deansbury-Bridge-tp5883p5884.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Chris Walker

Over at the NGDF a few years ago, I made mention of mis-labled photos at the DPL and Robert responded, but he doesn't post pictures or links.  It was that thread that led to the correction of the DPL info by a NGDF poster, Hart Corbett, I was unaware at the time that the comment section was available to provide corrections.  The Librarians are willing to change things if some correlation is provided.

I kept finding more, one of which lead to this thread and post in which Robert again mentioned the particular picture....
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Elk-Creek-Tank-or-Every-Now-and-Then-I-Get-Lucky-tp1294p1324.html

which after some continued prodding by Robert, in his thread:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/One-for-the-Mason-Bogie-Hunters-tp1619p1621.html

Which in turn will show you another picture of a Big Bogie, again one that had been previously mis-labled as well.
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/76223/rv/singleitem/rec/6

Unfortunately the NGDF has migrated servers and the old pictures don't show, I found that out this morning after searching for my Three Tanks and a Dome thread, directly in response to Jim posting the DPL picture of the 1st DSP&P tank in the "Dome Rock Switchstand"  thread.  I'm in the process of bringing over the same info I had previously posted to reside here before I am unable to do this.

My advice is to copy the picture and notate the source if it interests you, just in case, as it might not be available always even though stuff supposedly never goes away on the internet.....even your own work Haha!

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Robert McFarland
Bob Schoppe found a 286T near the Como Roundhouse in the George Mellen panoramic  photograph of  Como in DSP&P Pictorial Chapter 9-also in Yahoo Group DenverSouthPark photo section and in a Bogies and Loop article I don't have a reference for. I believe the Bogie near the Cascades photo that was labled "aspen" is a regular 266T.

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Robert McFarland
B&L article had a closeup of the Bogie

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Well, once again, my post is an example of finding something that was already found!

Just curious, Chris, what is it about the image of the Bogie in Chalk Creek Canyon that suggests that it is a big 2-8-6T?

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/76223/rv/singleitem/rec/6

Chris Walker enlargement.

I can't make out the domes. Why is this a 2-8-6T and not a 2-6-6T?
Interesting though, the wood pilot appears solid -- and early pilot plow?

And Robert, I looked up the Mellen photo in the Pictorial Supplement . . . , found on page 279. The photo is so small and dark, that I can't make anything out, even with my surgical loops.  Is there a digital image of this Mellen photo?

Chris wrote:

I'm in the process of bringing over the same info I had previously posted to reside here before I am unable to do this.

My advice is to copy the picture and notate the source if it interests you, just in case, as it might not be available always even though stuff supposedly never goes away on the internet.....even your own work Haha!

I strongly agree. I encourage everyone to post as many photos in your collection here on the C&Sn3 Discussion Forum as you can. Let's use Roper's Doghouse as an archival repository for as much DSP&P / CC / C&S information as possible.

But as Chris points out, nothing on the internet is really permanent! Sooner or later, Mother Nabble will one day join Hillary's emails and disappear forever. So I'd suggest that you copy every image posted here to your hard drive and back them up in the cloud.  We should all try to make sure this stuff survives!

Jim

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Jim Courtney wrote
Just curious, Chris, what is it about the image of the Bogie in Chalk Creek Canyon that suggests that it is a big 2-8-6T?
I can't make out the domes. Why is this a 2-8-6T and not a 2-6-6T?
Interesting though, the wood pilot appears solid -- and early pilot plow?
Looks very much like I am wrong here.
For the life of me in the cold hard light of day, apart from the appearance of the Stack at the low view angle, I cannot fathom why I was thinking that this was.  Would the big Stack have fit through the Tunnel?

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Rick Steele
According to Dow Helmers first edition of the book "The Historic Alpine Tunnel", Yes, the big bogies would have fit, with not much room left over.

Mal Ferrell and I discussed this photo on this forum earlier. We both agree that it is one of the few photos of one of the big South Park bogies in service. The twin domes and the length of the boiler are the giveaways.

Oh to see one of the big ones in action...

Rick

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Chris Walker
 Rick,
I figured that the big Bogies were intended to be used in bunker first operation regularly given the second sand dome, what do you think ?

And as to the previous post of mistaking the Chalk Creek picture, I have the feeling I default to the common images of the small diamond stacks that were fitted to the small Bogies, the ones that seem to be in the Drawings as well and that is what threw me.  I'm not so much up on id-ing steam power, my interest being greater on 1950-70's Diesels.

Re: Big Bogie on Deansbury Bridge?

Rick Steele
Hi Chris,

From what I understand, Mason designed the bogies with bunker-first running in mind. The South Park preferred boiler first operation and that's why the lead trucks were retrofitted to the first bogie and came standard on all of the rest.

It was the boiler first operation that gave the Bogies their lead trucks. With Bunker first operation, they wouldn't have needed it.

The small diamonds were as delivered. Later photos show the massive Cogdon and other (Radley-Hunter(?)) stacks fitted to the Bogies as standard.

Somewhere in his Mason book, Art Wallace mentioned the lead truck problem.

Rick