Date of 1935 Como Roundhouse Fire?

Hi, does anyone know the actual date of the 1935 Como Roundhouse fire which burned the Rotary stall and the pass through shed to the ground?

Over the years, I have tried to come up with that date and never have. Ed Hayley couldn't find it either, as I recall.

Thanks.

Re: Date of 1935 Como Roundhouse Fire?

Chris Walker
Mike,

Supposedly 25th March, A.A.Anderson photos taken the "morning after" dated 26th March 1935 shown in several books and directly noted in Klinger's High Line Memories pg 40>42

Re: Date of 1935 Como Roundhouse Fire?

Re: Date of 1935 Como Roundhouse Fire?

Thanks, Chris.

Another Monday.

Mondays and Wednesdays were "Train Days" at Como, with freights from both Denver and Leadville in town.

Some accounts speculated #72 having ignited a bird nest, but most of the railroaders put the blame on "Jonah"  #75.

The photo taken over the rotary cowling shows #72, having been pulled forward, still sporting the box headlight which was replaced with the small Pyle headlight when returned to service.

Thanks, guys.