DSP&P picture postcards

Jeff Young
Perhaps everyone's aware of this, but I just stumbled upon it.  It's a collection of picture postcards post-marked with various DSP&P & DL&G RPO stamps.

http://www.fairy-lamp.com/PCHS/DSPPRR_Postal_Markings_compressed.pdf

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Chris Walker

Great find Jeff, nice view of the DomeRock pumphouse and tall Tank #3 with the Pavillion creeping in as well.

and a new angle on the Depot

http://www.fairy-lamp.com/PCHS/DSPPRR_Postal_Markings_compressed.pdf

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

An incredible find, Jeff.

The period photos of South Platte, Dome Rock (especially the high water tank and pump house) and the tracks at Insmont and Chase are of great use to me!!!

Perhaps Roper could add a permanent link to the site?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Chris,

Any idea when the water tank at Dome Rock was replaced with the high tank?  The McClure photos of c1910 show a 50,000 gallon tank of normal height, painted with the light and dark trim scheme:

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/38231/rec/6

In the new photo above, the new tank on stilts appears to be painted all dark, though the pump house is still light with dark trim.  So I, thinking late teens or early 1920s, well into the CB&Q reign:

http://www.fairy-lamp.com/PCHS/DSPPRR_Postal_Markings_compressed.pdf

What do you think?

And that great new photo of C&S 4, c 1912-1915, at the Dome Rock depot, appears to be of the westbound "Fish Train", as there is an express car but no RPO, just coaches and excursion cars behind--though I guess it could be an excursion to the picnic grounds.

There is also, on the same site, this great photo of C&S 5 and probably the Leadville passenger (given the RPO) in the canon above Dome Rock. More excursion cars on the rear:

Great stuff, Jeff, you made my day!

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Chris Walker
Earliest picture that I remember showing the tall Tank is the C&S Valuation special of 1929( The Mineral Belt Vol-II).  Mind you,  not that there are many views published of the tall Tank either.

Re: DSP&P picture postcards and Dome Rock Tall Tank

Yes, Chris, I recall that one.  I think the one above, that Jeff discovered, predates it.

The only other view of the tall tank that I can recall is this last look by Otto Perry, from the rear of the Leadville passenger train:

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/44026/rv/singleitem

April 9, 1937

Looks like the platform and railing for the picnic grounds is still in place.

Oh, to have ridden that train . . .

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Jeff Ramsey
Awesome chronological history of the mail service on the South Park Line and is useful for dating passenger trains. Great images.

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Robert McFarland
The best way to date passenger trains is to send them flowers and candy!

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

Judging from the size of the pumphouse at Dome Rock I would guess that there would be a locomotive boiler powering it.

Re: DSP&P picture postcards

South Park
Western Union rebuilt the telegraph line - Denver to Buena Vista - in the summer of 1919.  Jeff's shot shows TWO of the 1884 rebuild type poles still in service, so the photo pre-dates that, giving us a little better zeroing-in on how early that tank was replaced.
"Duty above all else except Honor"