Covid 19 Check-In

Hmmm . . . pretty quiet around here the past week.

Since many of us are in the high risk group for Covid morbidity and mortality, would everyone be so kind as to check in, let us all know that everyone is OK?

Just a short post, maybe tell us what you've been doing, how things are locally vis-a-vis shutdowns, etc.

And our international correspondents should post as well. Jeff, how's Ireland doing with all this?  Chris, are all your goats OK?

I'll start: My wife and I are fine, still hunkering down at our farm in the country. Seems that strategy is working, only 151 confirmed cases in all of Kitsap county and only 2 deaths. Most all the WA mortality is in the greater Seattle metro area. I have a greater risk of dying of boredom than the virus.

Our governor is still dragging his feet with opening up businesses. My hair hasn't been this long since the 'sixties!

And if the hospitals and doctors offices don't reopen soon for routine matters (office visits, studies, surgeries, etc.), our healthcare system is going to go broke and be crippled--all because we tried to prevent the system from being overwhelmed by a viral surge that never really happened (except in the metro NYC area).

OK, everyone, sound off!!

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

skip
Jim Courtney wrote
Hmmm . . . pretty quiet around here the past week.

Since many of us are in the high risk group for Covid morbidity and mortality, would everyone be so kind as to check in, let us all know that everyone is OK?

Just a short post, maybe tell us what you've been doing, how things are locally vis-a-vis shutdowns, etc.
Hi Jim, Thanks for asking!

It seems funny that being shut down seems to take more time and energy than normal life. My wife is sewing some masks and (being in a less-at-risk category) I get to go get groceries and run errands. So far everyone is healthy. New Mexico is getting a big surge up in the north west, particularly on the Navajo reservation, but here in Los Alamos we are managing to stay fairly free of the virus.

I have been nibbling away at three locomotive upgrades. My C&S #11 and #12 engines are done through paint and the tenders with the sound/DCC are next. My #58 is ready to go into the paint shop.

My big project that seems on hold for a while is that I re-arranged how some rooms in the house are used and have been able to turn a bedroom into a hobby room. With space for workbenches and tools, there is room along two walls, about 9' X 11' for a dogbone loop and some yard space. So after many years with just a test track, I may actually be able to run some trains someday.

Jim Courtney wrote
And if the hospitals and doctors offices don't reopen soon for routine matters (office visits, studies, surgeries, etc.), our healthcare system is going to go broke and be crippled, all because we tried to prevent the system from being overwhelmed by a viral surge that never happened.
Another point of view is that we managed to do the "flatten the curve" thing well enough that we avoided the overwhelming surge. Good for us! It will be nice to get back to things like annual checkups and dental cleanings and such before all the medical facilities go under in either case.

Skip Egdorf
Los Alamos, NM
Skip Egdorf

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Hi Jim, et al,

Ireland is having a tough time of it by the numbers, but it’s all still pretty abstract.  One of my wife’s nieces got it but weathered it at home; a friend’s uncle died of it -- but the uncle lived in the UK and we had never met him.  We got lucky with one thing: our current Taoiseach (prime minister) happens to have been an MD, so it’s no surprise that our government has been pretty on top of it (especially when compared to our poor neighbours in Boris-land).

It’s kind of nice to have my girls at home (both were at university before this started).  Other than that, my life is relatively unchanged.  Things got a little sticky when I ran out of 1/2” MDF for my fascia, but I managed to order a sheet online that they cut into 2’ x 4’ sections for shipping.

Jefferson is pretty much finished.  I’m doing a mock-up of a livery to decide if it can fit one more building.  (It’s actually from Alma, but hey, modeller’s license.)  I’m also working on my small little stretch of Tenmile Canon (with an abandoned mine and a beaver pond).

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Todd Hackett
Hawaii County has had 74 cases, no fatalities, and 72 of them are considered to be recovered leaving only two active. The only hospitalization was someone who tested positive while in the hospital, and was released to recover from COVID-19 at home. We're pretty isolated which made it easier to contain, but some visitors are still arriving despite a 2-week quarantine on arrival (in-room, no going out for anything), and most things they would come here to do are closed. Most retail is reopening today, but beaches are still closed except for ocean access and group activities are still not happening. Despite all that, life for me hasn't been all that different than normal, but two international trips I had planned for this year are questionable at best. As far as railroad-related activities, I've been catching up on scanning accumulated historic photos and still shopping for more (a 1958 Jefferson depot slide just arrived). One of these days I'll get back to building some models, probably 1:20.3 for outdoor use.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Dave Eggleston
All good across the water from you in Seattle, Jim. Sequestered at home, wearing masks and avoiding people. A friend got the virus and we babysat his dog for the 40 days it took for him to run the course. He is 26 and his account (even thankfully without having to go to the hospital) has pretty much confirmed to me that you don't want to get it, not worth the risk.

Besides online classes, gardening and cleaning, I've been using the time to consolidate my research on the GSL&P route and equipment--pull together disparate notes and questions, organize photos and plan a layout I'll probably not ever have the room for. Actually, doing the same for the other project, Central City. Thinking about placing an order for a couple dozen HOn3 trucks from Michael. And dream of trips to CHS and UC Boulder in...2022?

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

John Greenly
Hey Jim,

I'm glad you've asked,  it's good to hear from you all!  I'm at home in my tiny village of Ludlowville, near Ithaca, NY,  with my son and his girlfriend. I'm very lucky to have them living with me.   My lab at Cornell has been shut down since mid-March,  except to stop by periodically and check on liquid recirculation systems.  It's weird to see it so quiet, to walk in and no grad students or techs there to say hi.   All work on campus was stopped shortly after the students went home, except for things that couldn't,  like live animal research.  I moved my office home and am working here, mostly writing, although I had 14 hours of  Zoom meeting over two days.  That was a couple of weeks ago... I think...  I've totally lost track of time.

We're doing quite well here in upstate NY,  new COVID cases have been very few the last two weeks.  Gov. Cuomo's rules for reopening, to begin possibly on the 15th if a set of criteria are met,  seem like a pretty sensible staged progression tailored to local areas.   The big question in Ithaca is what will happen in the fall.  So far that's completely up in the air.  Cornell and Ithaca College are investigating a range of possible scenarios. How to deal with student dormitory living seems like a tough problem.

Meanwhile, despite the run of cold weather we've had I've been getting outside a lot, cleaning up the gardens,  taking down some trees.  The  water finally warmed up enough that I got out to row on the lake a couple of times last week.  The outdoors seems to be the best antidote to sitting in front of a computer screen all day working.  For me, seeing the Ospreys back on their nests and all the birds passing through heading north is very comforting.  Good to see that the world and all its life continue, heedless of our travails.    I haven't been doing too much railroading, except making a couple of small bits for engines 13 and 30 and trying some ideas out on the new lathe.

my very best regards to everyone,  this community is a wonderful respite from a lot of grim stuff these days.

John

Lansing, NY
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Paul R.
Hello Jim and all,
Here in Ballarat, things are good, things are starting to move even though we are in lockdown only going out for basics and a walk. I am working on buildings(kits) for a small portable traction layout in HO to use at our local exhibition, which has been cancelled this year, maybe next year..When that's finished hope to get back to C&S stuff. Except for a few outbreaks not a lot of cases of covid around here, I hear New Zealand is doing pretty good as well. Most of our problems seem to have started with cruise ships and not getting on top quick enough. Just finished planting my tulips for this year, garden jobs up to date so back to the hobby.Keep healthy everyone!! Paul R.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Well self isolating in Como is just part of the normal process. Spring has sprung much earlier this year and most of the snow has gone in town, the Turntable is still frozen up but probably not for much longer.

Most of the summer events in South Park have been cancelled, still hanging in there for Railroad Day. Beginning to see a few more people driving around but US 285 is very quiet.

Population of Como has increased by 50% or so with COVID refugees, I think we are up to 27?

First 2 work days have been cancelled but we are doing unofficial work days, may have a passable turnout from locals, including equipment, so we can get a lot done.

And we have a new addition on its way, photos to follow.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

South Park
  All well in Spokanistan.  My restoration work is isolated enough to be
largely unaffected.  With everyone sequestered, the phone has been on fire
with requests to do work.  I stay away from people as much as I can.  The
gardens are in top shape and I've been able to get out digging old privies
and telegraph.  All-in-all, it's weird to move through a much emptier world,
but life has been minimally affected.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Lee Gustafson
I live in suburban Cook county Illinois so we are shelter in place. Grocery stores, pharmacy, hardware stores, pet stores are open  and would you believe one hobby shop with drive up/curb service. My wife had emergency surgery on Tuesday April 21 and is now home receiving daily IV antibiotic push treatments and dressing changes. Dr. Courtney how far do you travel for house calls? She is expected to be on home health care for 6 to 8 weeks. I’m retired so most of my time is spent caring for her. In my spare time I’m working on a pair of On3 Tiffany reefer kits, an old Huff & Puff kit and a Leadville Designs kit. An interesting study in 50 years of evolution in kits. I have Coronado Scale Models parts to “upgrade” the Huff & Puff kit. So here comes a question to the group, what color do you think Tiffany reefers were? Speculation is welcome. BTW I’ve ruled out plaid as a color scheme.
Best wishes to all,  stay safe and healthy.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

SteveG
Thanks Jim, for starting this thread!
Doing okay  down here outside Austin.Texas is starting to open up, but looking at the Johns Hopkins numbers, I've got my doubts about whether that's premature. Travis County is taking a harder line on re-opening than the statewide directives, but is still allowing restaurants to re-open, albeit at a maximum occupancy of 25% of normal. I'd been working from home since before all this started, and now am advising my colleagues back in Redmond about how to manage while they adapt to that reality for the duration.
I'm finishing up my layout/workshop room, and starting to work out a final track plan, centered on Como in 1910 before the Alpine Tunnel shut down.

To capture the openness of the South Park, I'm thinking the climb toward Boreas, the run thru Jefferson and up Kenosha, and the start of the line toward Garos and Gunnison will all lead to staging. Too much more and it'd start to look like a bowl of spaghetti. :)

Steve Guty,
Lakeway, TX

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Rick Steele
Life remains pretty much the same up here in Cheyenne.

We have the limited lockdown still going on, but the Governor here has been pretty rational about what we can and can't do. No mandated sequestrations.

I still go to my shop on a daily basis and the integration of LaBelle with Huff & Puff and the various lines that I got from them continues. It took over a month to just come up with a numbering/inventory scheme that was workable. There is also the matter of culling out cars that are duplicates of each other and coming up with a good universal design and figuring what is available and needed in each scale. HO is pretty well covered, but S really needs some work to get it into production.

The biggest time sink is copying all of the artwork and making it usable and reproducable. So that's how my day is spent... In front of a computer except when I'm cutting parts and comparing length/height/width and other sizes. But the weather is getting nicer and warmer, so it's going to be time to do some yard work and freshening up around the shop, home and gardens... and to pick up the winter deposits from the dogs.

Thanks for asking, though, I have been itching to get out and see some different scenery, my youngest needs a number of hours to get her driver's license, so it's a good excuse just to take a drive....

Rick

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Richard Farmer
Not much fun not being able to go to the mall (oh boy!) but I have been using the extra time in my home shop. I was just about ready to start to put the wheels under 1008 when I discovered that when I made some of the square head bolts I didn’t make them long enough to accept a lock nut to secure the nut and bolt. The original frame had a lock nut on pretty much every bolt. The original lock nuts are interesting in that they are square, a little over 1/8” thick and are bent slightly across the center so when they are tightened up they spring slightly to create an additional lock. I have looked all over for these with no success so I have just sliced square nuts in half but no bend because of what that would do to the thread alignment. So what I’m doing will lock the nut and look like the original but won’t be exactly the same.
When this is all over it will be interesting to see what will be needed to open such things like baseball stadiums, movie theaters, Knott’s Berry Farm and Disneyland and keep us all safe.
Be patient and stay well,
Richard

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Hey, everyone. Glad to hear all seems to be well.

Here in the Huntsville area in NE Alabama, both Judy and I have actually not missed a beat in the last couple of months at all. She is in the mental health field, and deemed essential. I have been very busy with project work for both a Space and Rocket contractor and the US Army at Redstone Arsenal. I would probably class what we have been doing as more expendable than essential, but it keeps the bills paid.

Alabama has been under a stay at home "mandate", but from what I saw during that time, it seemed loosely enforced. Now things are opening up. And there is much evidence that people are coming out. Pretty much everyone is using common sense, and giving wide berth and understanding to those who wear masks and are obviously at high risk.

Consequently, I have had little workbench time, which has been pretty much the way things have been over the last year or so, anyway. But I'm still very much enjoying running trains 6 days a week as would have been the case in Dickey in 1935. I must tell you, after years of building and restoring my collection from the sort of losses we encounter in life, being able to actually enjoy even such a small operation as I have is enormously gratifying at this time in my life.

Stay alert and be well, safe, understanding, and kind. A lot of folks out there are having real trouble through this.

Mike

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

Jim, your post is a reminder that this forum brings together individuals from all over the world who share an interest in a few thousand square miles of Colorado that lasted for less than 70 years in such a collegial and caring way.

The Hayes family is healthy and has been sheltering in place. My daughter came home from college in Chicago and has been taking classes online. The wife transitioned music lessons to Facetime and Zoom, and we have all been competing for bandwidth. I have never been so busy, between working on various projects all over the place, figuring out the employment laws and applying for SBA loans. The handful of hours I can spend on the layout each week provides a welcome distraction.

We have nothing to complain about where so many have been so impacted. It is nice to hear updates from all of you.

Re: Covid 19 Check-In

D. W. Bassett
Le Thu and I are ok so far.  I'm almost 64 and immune compromised.  FYI and O/T there is a mycelium (mushroom) that has proven in testing to be a pretty powerful natural anti-viral: Agarikon.  I figure for a guy with my problems taking out regularly is rather like turning up with an army instead of alone.  Hope everyone else is good so far!  Thanks, Jim.

RE: Covid 19 Check-In

Robert Stears

Things in Billings, Montana are pretty much unchanged; with the exception of almost 400 documented virus cases. Social distancing here is the norm, wearing masks is not. However, cases of the virus are on the rise so that might change. There is great uncertainty about tourism this summer, which is a big economic consideration with millions of people normally coming into the state bound for Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks each year.

I have been working on a string of C&S MOW outfit cars in both 1905 and subsequent block lettering - #51, 53, 68, 70, 71, 75, 80 are coming along but progress has been slow with the day job being an increasing nuisance.

Last summer/fall I finalized a major bucket list item by having PSC On3 D&RGW #344, 345 and 346 professionally re-motored/re-geared, Ridgeway spark arrestors added and painted/weathered by Juan Carlos Zuloaga. With these new additions, combined with my #68 and #73, my On3 C&S locomotive roster is almost complete.

I will post photos soon.

I hope all are safe and well.

I am sure ready for all of this to be over.

Bob

RE: Covid 19 Check-In

Lee Gustafson
Robert,

I look forward to pictures of your outfit cars and updated locomotive roster. If I win the lottery my bucket list includes locomotives #65 and #68 in On3. I will try to post photos of some of my current roster as time permits. Thanks for all of your contributions to the list, the NGSLG as well as San Juan models. Take care and best wishes.

Lee Gustafson

RE: Covid 19 Check-In

Getting quiet around here again, perhaps it is time for another COVID-19 check in?

Here in Kitsap County, WA, things are opening up, traffic is back near pre-pandemic density.  Everyone is wearing masks, when indoors around other people. Dr's offices are reopened for routine care, and I've had my hair cut twice.

Out of a total county population of 270,000+, we have had cumulatively only 407 confirmed cases, 43 hospitalizations and only 3 COVID deaths.

Our local model train group, about 20 people, have been socially distancing since February, before the term was invented. We've been getting together on Zoom every Monday. Many have used the shut down time to do a lot of model building.

Next Monday, we are having our first in person get together, at a member's home on Bainbridge Island --> "Brats in the Driveway" with social distancing in the driveway / yard, masks (except when eating brats), tours (one at a time) of the owners new layout and a model railroad yard sale. I hope to go. Others are still reluctant to get out.

Everyone please check in and tell us how you're doing, how are things in your part of the nation / world.

RE: Covid 19 Check-In

South Park
  With many people staying at home, and fat unemployment checks
pursuading many to not work and collect checks, it is harder than ever
to find skilled/motivated employees, meanwhile the phone is on fire
with those stuck at home wanting to get things fixed or worked on.
My schedule is now officially booked out past next February.

  Been doing the mask thing since early on, the hand sanitizer, etc ...
My head is on fire, trying to keep up with business, but no real time
for fun.  In a way, all this reminds me of being deployed.  Plenty to
do, but life kind of operates under a wet blanket.  😜