CB&Q #537

Re: CB&Q #537's asymmetrical Handrail.

snapped_bolt

   Morning Mike,

       I was referring to the "lopsided" handrail on the smokebox front. It just seems to me that the door wouldn't swing open fully if the handrail terminated any lower on the right end. Strange location for a handrail, but it differs from the usual C&S loco as the headlight isn't on an old South Park headlight bracket out in front of the smokebox. The headlight is kicked back on top of the smokebox. Just something solid to hold on to when fiddling with the headlight, or jumping into the smokebox.
       I have made more than one trip inside a smokebox to clean it out. Handles are good.
       Don't think the asymmetrical appearance is due to an accident, or sloppy work.
       Kudos to model builders that picked up the "detail". Can't give the same to judges that are unfamiliar with a specific loco.

         Cheers!

             Stan

Re: CB&Q #537's asymmetrical Handrail.

Hi Stan, you are probably right. I can't remember if mine turned out that way on purpose or if it was just a happy accident. But I'll accept your compliment and say both versions were done that way for a reason. But I wouldn't have considered that my version was done for any other reason than that was how I saw it.

Re: CB&Q #537's asymmetrical Handrail.

snapped_bolt

   "that was how I saw it"

    now if we could get more modeling products made this way, it would sure take some hassle out of putting this stuff together!
   I think your model looks great...getting the minute bits straight (or should I say "prototypically lopsided") is exactly what it takes to re-create the original.
   Many modelers tend to "correct" items that are already correct....like smokebox handrails. At least on this one.
   As far as the prototype goes, I would not want to open that door and have it swing back at me....not a great way to get a day started!
   One day I'd like to do the 537....but I am wondering how to do that cracked headlight platfrom...

    Cheers!

       Stan

CB&Q #537

CB&Q 537 was given a shake down run to Leadville today. The photog caught up with the train at Birdseye.

The fireman was on the ground checking the valve gear.

We caught up with the train again as it passed the Freight House at the 9th Street crossing.

That big outside frame engine really waddles down the track!

We pulled into the Depot lot as the engine had tied up at the City Plug. The crew was in the ground walking around checking that all is in order.

Thus model was bashed by Jan Rons from a C-21. I believe it won an award at a Narrow Gauge Convention  (Seattle?). Jan sold it to Jack Vandsworth and I in turn found out about it. Dennis Bartholow put a Tsunami 2 in it and got it running very nicely.

I admit I have never paid 537 much attention and I NEVER thought I would have a model of her, but gosh I am excited to welcome this locomotive to the layout! Even Ms. Alyson gave her approval to the new addition. And that says a lot.

Re: CB&Q #537

Tim Schreiner
One of my all time favorite narrow gauge engines! Looks fantastic! What scale?

Sent from my iPad

On May 8, 2021, at 3:23 PM, Keith Hayes [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/CB-Q-537-tp550p16615.html
To unsubscribe from CB&Q #537, click here.
NAML

Re: CB&Q #537

Beautiful locomotive Keith!!

Given her pedigree, this could be considered an example of S scale locomotive preservation. It is fitting that 537 gets to hang out in familiar surroundings at Leadville.

I can't wait to see 537 double headed with one of the Brooks locomotives.

Re: CB&Q #537

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

I’m so happy for you. What a rare and special model. Enjoy it and thank you for sharing it. If more photo opportunities arise in the future please share. Again, thanks.

Lee Gustafson

Re: CB&Q #537

Here are some more pics.

The engine has been turned so the are better views of the fireman's side.

I believe 70 and 537 traded tenders when 70 was converted to oil. Jan's model appears to have 70s tender with the "gateway" grabs to access the deck plate. Also, note the placement of the cab curtain on the engineer's side inboard of the door. The door was hinged on the boiler side of the door, I guess so the engineer could get right into the cab. The Brooks locos are the same.

This engine has twin pumps mounted on the left side per D&RG practice. They are set into the walk in a peculiar (to my eye) way. There is a good size air tank under each running board.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Re: CB&Q #537

Jan P. Rons
Hi Keith,
I could not be more delighted that you are the new owner of  #537! After the sale, I had an almost immediate case of sellers regret. And when it was resold I lost track of it. To see pictures of it on your fine layout gives closure to the process. The model is absolutely where it belongs. I'm with Jim in saying I look forward to seeing pics of that hunky little pig running on your layout.
Best!
Jan Rons

Re: CB&Q #537

Keith Hayes
Thanks, Jan. I am pleased as punch to have acquired a model of this locomotive.

It is joining my collection of other, singular C&S models.

Re: CB&Q #537

Chris Walker
Nice looking Loco there Keith, but then I'm not surprised given its builder.

Now,  about that Trestle.......

Re: CB&Q #537

Congrats to both you and Jan. It is a beautiful and well built model, as good as it gets!

Thanks for including the pictures. Its really good to know this model has found a fantastic home.

Mike

Re: About the model ~ CB&Q #537

Matt Hutson
Hi all,
I just saw this thread for the first time as I'm not really much of a C&S guy (maxima mea culpa). I saw Rick's post from 2015 about the stack location and I'm impressed that he noticed at such a small scale.

I checked the drawing in AutoCAD and it is forward of the cylinder centerline by 4 1/4". What's worse is that I KNOW stacks are aligned with cylinders and I still blew it. Oh well, my bad. I have yet to put out a perfect drawing, but I'm still trying to do so before I retire.

If anyone on this forum wants a scale PDF print of the (admittedly incorrect) drawing, send me a back channel email. I might even fix the stack location first. ;)

Cheers,
Matt

Re: About the model ~ CB&Q #537

tonyk375
Hey Matt.  Great drawing!

Re: CB&Q #537

Jim your wish was granted today.

Rich Gibson and Mark Shifter visited today to move some cars around Leadville. I used the opportunity to double head into the Cloud City.
Here is Mark working the Smelter.

And Rich on the C& S job.

Mark had better luck with RGS 25 today than Rich had with either 76 or 537.

We can't figure out if it is dirty track, dirty wheels, or a throttle/ command station issue.

Re: CB&Q #537

Hi, Keith, and happy new year to you and everyone. I'm still waiting to be able to get my stuff out of storage and get everything back up and running. That picture of #537 and #76 makes me miss my railroad even more!

I hope you can locate and fix your glitches without too much difficulty.

Mike

Re: CB&Q #537

Hey Keith,

I couldn't help noticing your adornment ephemera.

Re: CB&Q #537

Keith Hayes
You caught me, Chris! I spied this scale building in a book. I think it would make a terrific model, but I just don't have anyplace for it. Do we know where it was on the smelter campus? The best map I have seen is the D&RGW track folio used as end papers for Chris James' book.

I am looking to build the building on the east side of Hemlock just north of 9th Street. This was part of the lumber yard that included the C&S Freight House and will become Britton Lumber in my Leadville. I like the building because it has an odd cupola and well, I am an architect and like odd buildings. I have not got back to Leadville in a couple years to photograph it, and Google has not seen fit to drive down either Hemlock or 9th.

Re: CB&Q #537

South Park
I am sure a quick call to Google can get that resolved for you.

Re: About the model ~ CB&Q #537

Happy New Year!

A trio of C&S steamers is getting ready to take a cut of cars back to Denver.