C&S RPO 11: Linn Moedinger’s Shapeways Print in Sn3 and Hon3

Re: C&S RPO 11 in HOn3

Todd A Ferguson
I’ve thought for a long time if a library of parts could be built up it would make a good way for new solid modelers to create something that is simple, useful and shareable.  The key to my thinking is to have this library of parts that could be shared, used in more complex models and perhaps modified and added to to improve the existing model and build upon it.

So, maybe the library consists of two different components.  First complete models that people have done and are will to share with others to use either free or at a very low cost.  Second would be a library of shared model components that can be used as building blocks to making new and more complex models perhaps that end up in the first category.

Let me give an example of my thoughts on this and you can tell me whether I’m on target or crazy.  Take brake gear for example.  I would like to have brake gear components available that I could add to my car underframe model or a complete car body I might be modeling.  Another idea I have had for more modern cars such as coal hoppers or gondolas would be modeled side stakes complete with rivets, etc.  Then these stakes could be added to a properly shaped side to build up a complete car side and ultimately the entire car.  Now naturally one could model the stake themselves and copy duplicates to their appropriate location.  My goal would be to speed up the modeling rather than have people model the same parts over and over and over.

Boxcar doors and ends as well as Master Car Builders common parts would be another possibility in my mind.  For my HO models I have about a half dozen unique cars that I would like to have produced either by my own modeling, or maybe by working with someone like Bill Meredith at Leadville Designs.

Let us know your thoughts and if I’m off base or missing issues I’d love your input.

Re: C&S RPO 11: Builders Photo

RPO 11 has lacked all the safety appliances,  notably the steps. I was hoping Bill's brass etch for Baggage Car 1 would be the ticket,  but of course it is different.

So I fabbed my own, including pairs of twisted stirrups for the corners.

These are fresh from a solder and wash. Next they will get some primer before being installed and then the car will be ready for the AP jury.

Re: C&S RPO 11: Builders Photo

Jim Courtney
Great work, Keith.

Trust me, those pins are well worth the effort for mounting all that dangling hardware!

Re: C&S RPO 11: Builders Photo

Keith Hayes

I realized I did not post a final photo of RPO 11 with all the hardware on it. It is hard to make out the stirrups due to their being black parts in the shadows.

I have been doing house keeping on the 8 models to be submitted for my NMRA Rolling Stock AP, of which this car will be one.

Oh, and I hear that a group is having a vigorous discussion about models of the as-built D&RG 5500-series stock cars. Being the models are Sn3 and the cars probably found their way onto the South Park hauling coal and lumber, I think someone should make a post.

Re: C&S RPO 11: Builders Photo

Beauty, Keith!! Thanks.