C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
Hello group, new user here.

My area of interest involves taking 'Then and Now' photographs along the C&S line. I have attached an example of my work below. Surely you are all familiar with the original Jackson photograph, mine was taken about a month ago. Hopefully it will help answer some questions regarding the depth of the grade below the reservoir.

I am interested in unpublished or lesser known 'landscape shots' of the line. By landscape shots I mean photographs of the grade that are taken from a relatively high vantage point or ones that include a sizeable portion of the surrounding scenery. In my experience, these types of photos work best to produce an effective 'then and now' effect.

I am fortunate enough to be in a position this summer where I will have lots of time available to take pictures. I will gladly post an update of any successful 'then and now' pairs I manage to take from the pictures provided.

Thanks!
Daniel Frauenhoff

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/8171/rv/singleitem/rec/1

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Jim Courtney
As Oliver Twist said: "Please, sir, I'd like more!"

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Keith Hayes
Keep em coming, Daniel!

I have always liked that view of the loco delivering empty flats for rail. Is it up Hall Valley west of Webster?

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Robert McFarland
DPL photo caption say that it's near Grant.

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
Indeed, roughly a half-mile downstream of Grant. The rocks lining the bank along the river are visible on Google Earth if you look closely.

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Todd Hackett
Here are a few I did a while ago. The ones with blue borders were printed on an 8" x 8" lenticular card, which changes from the old to the new as the card is tilted. I've also used before and after images in PowerPoint presentations where the image fades from old to new.

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
Great shots, Todd! Even the snow lines up in the top one of Kokomo.

Another Jackson comparison showing Arch Rock. (At least in the original, mine is mostly trees.)

Daniel

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Robert McFarland
Any closer up modern photos of this location?

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
I could tell that there were remains of the bridge which crossed Deer Creek though they were almost completely covered in snow, not making for great pictures. Once I'm sure all the snow is melted I will be returning to the area to get more photos of the artifacts that remain.

Here is a bridge that I found standing about one mile west of Deer Creek, it had trees growing on top of it.

I'll take some high detail photographs of the remaining structures and post then next time I hike into the area.

Daniel

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
An Otto Perry view which has long been one of my favorites:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42568/rv/singleitem/rec/3

Daniel

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Daniel Frauenhoff
A view along Clear Creek at the 'Little Eiger' of Colorado; so called due to its resemblance of the infamous Eiger North Face in the Alps. There were nearly a dozen rock climbers on the face when I was there though they are too small to make out at this resolution. While Harry Lakes' exact vantage point is of course buried beneath US 6, I believe this gives a good idea of the site. Notice the rock toward the bottom left of each photograph.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/75129/rec/1

Daniel

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Chris Walker
While I can't quite get the view you can, here's Lone Tree in Clear Creek Canon.

WHJ-1433

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/55348/rv/singleitem/rec/33

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Chris Walker
Tunnel Number2 and Compressor House taken from portal of Tunnel 3.  Another delivery point for Fuel by Tanks-on-Flat #7111
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-7111-tp806.html

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/11483/rv/singleitem/rec/43

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Jeff Young
Was the compressor house built just for the two crews blasting the two tunnels?  (Or is it older, mining related?)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: C&S Landscape Shots

Chris Walker
I'd say so, I can't remember seeing any mining that far down the canyon unless it was a prospect hole, or placer operation in the creek like that at Roscoe.  That was one of the oddities that struck me early on, all the mining was concentrated above Blackhawk or above Idaho Springs, scant evidence between Golden and there.  Dredging and placering was done around Golden though.

That Compressor shed would make a decent diorama of scene for the last years of operation of the C&S.  I wonder if Harry Brunk had ever seen the picture or knew about it.  He did have a "No Name Mine" based on a orebin from the Black Hills that stood in for any downstream mining.

Re: C&S Landscape Shots: Below Blackhawk.

Chris Walker
Another Otto Perry photo I've wanted to locate for some time.
39.790274, -105.469347

OP-6316

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42841/rv/singleitem

Re: C&S Landscape Shots: Below Blackhawk.

Daniel Frauenhoff
Nice comparison Chris. I've utilized Google Earth many times to scout locations before hand. Its also useful for the modern views that sit on the highway as I can't run out onto the road with my camera and tripod to try and line up a shot.

Daniel

Re: C&S Landscape Shots: Below Blackhawk.

Daniel Frauenhoff
Here is a shot I got several weeks ago of Pine Grove. This one was quite a challenge, requiring that I climb several trees to find a similar view. While it is not exact, I had decided I was done climbing trees, haha.

Daniel
12