B4's

countryboy304
Hi everyone,

I'm kitbashing some On30 BLI D&RGW C16s to be in one of the B4 series. I plan to have one from a B4B and one or two in the B4D-E series. I see lots of photos from the Clear Creek area with engines in this series but don't see much on the South Park area. What engines tended to be assigned to there in the teens- 30s?

Phil Stock
On30 C&S DSP&P
Phil Stock
KCNG

Re: B4's

Hi Phil, on the C&S, the larger engines, which were also the newer engines, were generally used primarily on the Mainline between Denver and Leadville. the older and smaller engines were assigned for branchline service West of Golden and others such as the Silica Branch.

Straight boilers like on the C-16's would have been found on engines of similar age from the smaller 2-8-0's on the C&S. The primary differences to newer engines were wagon top boilers, and with the B-4-E's, main rods connected to the 3rd axles.

Good luck, keep us posted with your progress. We are all mindful of rule #1, it's your railroad, so anything goes! Watch ebay for C&S parts. You'd be surprised what you might find.

Re: B4's, an update

Rick Steele

There is this photo posted on the Narrow Gauge Discussion forum at:

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,384464,386094#msg-386094

It shows 71 in Central City with gold numbering on its number plate. I want this forum to know that the gold number is ORIGINAL to the locomotive.

The reason that it remained gold is that it was so heavily varnished that I couldn't get the black enamel or Aluminum paint to stick to it (I was using a brush, not a gun), so I left it as it was.

An example of the Gold Freight locomotive scheme. The Number was hand painted in Gold Paint and was not done in Gold Leaf.

Rick